CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Nystyle709
FireIce918
gingersnaps
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
GrayWolf
CeCe
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
14 posters

Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Chicken Nuggets

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Chicken Nuggets

Post by Chris Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:39 pm

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpps/news/preschoolers-homemade-lunch-replaced-with-chicken-nuggets-dpgonc-20120215-fc_17957527

Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Chicken Nuggets

Updated: Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 4:54 AM PST
    Published : Wednesday, 15 Feb 2012, 4:54 AM PST

Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Chicken Nuggets Schol-lunch-1_20110809111413_320_240

(NewsCore) - A North Carolina preschooler was fed cafeteria chicken nuggets after a state employee decided that her homemade lunch was not nutritious enough, the Carolina Journal reported.

The West Hoke Elementary School student's lunch box -- which contained a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice -- was inspected by a state agent in the girl's classroom and deemed not to meet the nutrition guidelines set by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), according to the report Tuesday.

A regulation from the state's Department of Health and Human Services says lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs -- even those brought from home -- should adhere to the USDA guidelines. If a student's packed lunch lacks any of the required items, the child should be provided with the missing foods.

The USDA suggests meals should contain one meat portion, one serving of milk, one serving of grains and two portions of fruit or vegetables.

The girl came home from the Raeford, N.C., school afterward with a note for her mom and a bill for $1.25 to cover the cost of the chicken nuggets she ate.

Her mom, who did not wish to be identified, wrote a complaint to her state representative, Republican Gaston Pridgen, saying she did not feel she should be made to pay for a cafeteria lunch when her daughter was provided with a homemade lunch.

"What got me so mad is, No. 1, don't tell my kid I'm not packing her lunch box properly," the mom told the newspaper. "I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats ... It never consists of a vegetable. She eats vegetables at home because I have to watch her because she doesn't really care for vegetables."

School principal Jackie Samuels told the newspaper he did not "know anything about" parents being charged for the meals that day.

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: Preschooler's Homemade Lunch Replaced with Chicken Nuggets

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Hold the fucking phone. I would love to be able to tell them where they can put their bill for $1.25. I might even hire a lawyer and sue their asses for serving my kid crap. I can see the validity if a parent sends the kid to school with just a can of Coke and a bag of Doritos but get real.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

So chicken nuggets is now a vegetable? And people thought Reagan was nuts.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:34 pm

NC is turning into the dumbest damn state in the country.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm

A North Carolina preschooler was fed cafeteria chicken nuggets after a state employee decided that her homemade lunch was not nutritious enough, the Carolina Journal reported.

I'd raise hell if some school did that to my kid.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:14 pm

GrayWolf wrote:

I'd raise hell if some school did that to my kid.

Totally, DON'T they have anything better to do than play lunch police?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

That is just crazy. Like Al said, it's not as if it was soda and chips. I would be very upset if this was happening to my child because it is a parent's right to pack what they wish to pack.

I would be willing to bet in less than ten years, bagged lunches won't be allowed anymore. All the concern about allergies has sharing being policed (which does make sense). So, I bet they will require all students take school lunch eventually.

In my son's school, he would much rather have school lunch because each day they have a taco bar, pizza and other "fun" foods from which he can select. However, I rarely allow him to. Other than the less than stellar choices, he also has limited time to eat if he stands in line.

Last edited by RedBedroom on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Ah, Government intrusion! Chickens Nuggets are healthy for you now, because the government says so.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:13 pm

RedBedroom wrote:That is just crazy. Like Al said, it's not as if it was soda and chips. I would be very upset if this was happening to my child because it is a parent's right to pack what they wish to pack.

I would be willing to bet in less than ten years, bagged lunches won't be allowed anymore. All the concern about allergies has sharing being policed (which does make sense). So, I bet they will require all students take a bagged lunch eventually.

In my son's school, he would much rather have school lunch because each day they have a taco bar, pizza and other "fun" foods from which he can select. However, I rarely allow him to. Other than the less than stellar choices, he also has limited time to eat if he stands in line.

Allergy concerns or no allergy concerns, it seems that schools' #1 priority is policing everybody for every little thing. And not just with the food. The paper had an article 2 nights ago about a boy in Georgia who is suing his school because when he was in the 7th grade he was forced to strip down to his underwear in front of all the teachers and students because they suspected he had marijuana, which he did not.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:Ah, Government intrusion! Chickens Nuggets are healthy for you now, because the government says so.

So sayeth Big Brother, so sayeth the flock, now get the FLOCK out of here.
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Seriously, now they're trying to be lunch nazis?? Far as I'm concerned, the lunch from home sounded just fine. I think that the school should be asking the parents ahead of time if it's okay to add something to the lunch if it's deficient but I'm sure they're too stupid to do that.

BTW, the parents should tell the school to stick it with the 1.25.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 pm

gingersnaps wrote:Seriously, now they're trying to be lunch nazis?? Far as I'm concerned, the lunch from home sounded just fine. I think that the school should be asking the parents ahead of time if it's okay to add something to the lunch if it's deficient but I'm sure they're too stupid to do that.

BTW, the parents should tell the school to stick it with the 1.25.

co-signs The lunch from home sounded MORE healthy. Wonder how much chicken is actually in those "nuggets"? The school really crossed the line here.

And I would never send them their $1.25. Let the "state agent" cough it up.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:15 pm

WTF...PLEASE tell me this isn't a real story.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 am

LOL.

The schools' chicken nuggets prob. ain't real chicken anyway.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:04 am

Nystyle709 wrote:LOL.

The schools' chicken nuggets prob. ain't real chicken anyway.

They're Soylent Green
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

They're Soylent Green

You know, you had to wonder, if they made those icky green squares from people...what was the beef in the grocer's freezer made from?
    gingersnaps
    gingersnaps
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by gingersnaps Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:04 pm

CeCe wrote:

co-signs The lunch from home sounded MORE healthy. Wonder how much chicken is actually in those "nuggets"? The school really crossed the line here.

And I would never send them their $1.25. Let the "state agent" cough it up.

not very much chicken in my opinion. The school needs to back off a bit.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:50 am

CeCe wrote:NC is turning into the dumbest damn state in the country.
    Hey, I live in Florida one of the contenders. It's nice to see us not make #1 on the dumbass scale for a change.

And everyone is right. That kid had a sufficient, well-balanced lunch. Turkey is one of the best meat sources of protein with a low fat/cholesterol ratio. Chicken nuggets don't hold up by any standard. Too much fat in those things, the kind of food that is causing an epidemic of obese kids. Banana is nutritious and apple juice.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:18 am

Apparently common sense crept into NC in the middle of the night when no one was looking.

Schools can’t criticize home-packed meals

Friday, June 1, 2012
    (Updated 5:57 am)

RALEIGH (AP) — North Carolina lawmakers are reacting to a recent chicken-nuggets lunchroom controversy that raged on conservative talk shows and web sites by banning school officials from looking at the nutritional balance of home-packed meals.

The state Senate on Thursday unanimously approved legislation that would block child care facilities from providing foods or drinks to children whose parents are sending them with packed lunches.

A pre-kindergarten teacher at a Hoke County school resigned this spring after telling three 4-year-olds in her class that their homemade lunches didn't entirely meet federal guidelines for well-balanced meals. School officials said the teacher should have rounded out the children's packed lunches with a carton of milk or whatever else was lacking, but instead the children got cafeteria meals that included chicken nuggets.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2012/06/01/article/schools_can_t_criticize_home_packed_meals#nrcAnc_Middle2_Jump
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:41 am

So chicken nuggetts are more nutritious than a turkey sandwich? You got to laugh at this one.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:54 am

The problem was letting local bureaucrats determine what is nutritious when they obviously haven't a clue. Replacing a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice lunch with chicken nuggets of dubious content indicates such ignorance.

First off, our current national obesity epidemic is seen mostly in the rural south where traditional southern cooking literally goes whole hog on the fat. When 200 pound women are determining what is healthy eating you have to wonder.

I was told by my family in the south 40 years ago that I would die if I didn't eat meat. Now my Mississippi cousins younger than me are dropping all over the place.

Good that they corrected this problem of their own making. Maybe the tide of world intelligence will someday seep in to these backwater, medieval conclaves. I'm guessing by the 25th Century at the rate they're going.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:00 am

Cool.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Mercy! I have a feeling that someone in that school is getting kickbacks from the people who provide chicken nuggets to the school cafeteria so for every child who doesn't buy them, they don't make money.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:59 am

Shale wrote: When 200 pound women are determining what is healthy eating you have to wonder.

i get ur point, but i must interject. I'm a 200 pound woman who probably knows more about nutrition and proper diets than most "thin, average, healthy" people. WHY do you ask? cause women with lifelong weight problems have researched all the tips, the best brands of foods, what has what calories, what makes the metabolism speed/slow down, what the best exercises are...

there are reasons that we are still fat... even after knowing all that. so Razz lol
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:35 am

i get ur point, but i must interject. I'm a 200 pound woman who probably knows more about nutrition and proper diets than most "thin, average, healthy" people. WHY do you ask? cause women with lifelong weight problems have researched all the tips, the best brands of foods, what has what calories, what makes the metabolism speed/slow down, what the best exercises are...

there are reasons that we are still fat... even after knowing all that. so Razz lol

I know just what you mean. I was always a normal weight for my height and had no trouble losing weight when I wanted to.

Then in my forties I had to take Prednisone which messed up my metabolism for good. It causes insulin resistance in many people and even when someone is off the meds they don't loose weight no matter what.

So I ballooned upwards of 60 pounds. All the diet and exercise would budge maybe 10 of those pounds but that was about all I could shed.

Being in that state of health, a person has to watch what they eat and exersize as much as possible to prevent high blood pressure, high choelestrol and diabetes so I do. All of those are normal despite the weight and that is really what is important.

I know skinny people whose numbers in these areas are way too high for them to be in good health and yet they look good by today's standards of appearance.

So, yes, I too am a 200 pound woman who, like you, knows a heckavu lot about diets and exercise.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:34 pm