'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'

Go down 
+3
Jason B.
Nystyle709
Chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Empty
PostSubject: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 5:47 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-disgusting-ingredients-that-arent-advertised-in-food-2012-3?op=1#ixzz1qk2fzwpN

Quote :
Red Dye: Ground Up Beetles

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Red-dye-ground-up-beetles

Between yogurt, maraschino cherries, jams, cakes, and tomato products, you've probably consumed at least one pound of red dye in your life. That means that you've also ingested at least 70,000 cochineal beetles, according to a petition on Change.org. The bug is crushed up to make red dye.

Ice Cream: Beaver Anal Glands
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Ice-cream-beaver-anal-glands

Vanilla and raspberry flavors might be enhanced by "castoreum," a mixture of the anal secretions and urine of beavers. It's also found in perfume. The FDA-approved product is categorized under "natural flavoring," so you won't know if you're eating it.

After celebrity chef Jamie Oliver went on David Letterman's show and mentioned castoreum's presence in vanilla ice cream—"If you like that stuff, next time you put it in your mouth think of anal gland"—manufacturers adamantly denied the claims.

Beer: Fish Bladders
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Beer-fish-bladders

Isinglass, or dried fish bladder, gives beer its golden glow. The BBC did a whole segment on the substance, which is primarily used in British beers.

Wendy's Chili: Sand
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Wendys-chili-sand

One key ingredient to Wendy's chili is an anti-caking agent called silicon dioxide. Street name: sand or glass powder.

Jello: Animal Connective Tissue
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Jello-animal-connective-tissue

Gelatin is made from collagen, which is boiled down animal connective tissue. Today, gelatin most likely is made from pigskin.

Gum: Sheep Secretions
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Gum-sheep-secretions

Lanolin—a goopy, oily secretion found in sheep's wool—is an FDA-approved additive used to soften chewing gum. It can also be found in cosmetics, sunscreen, and baby products.

Cheese: Sawdust
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Cheese-sawdust

Cellulose, or virgin wood pulp that is more commonly identified as sawdust, is an ingredient found in shredded cheese. It keeps the shreds from clumping up. Cellulose also appears in Kraft Parmesan Cheese. The Street found 15 other companies that use "wood" in their products.

The USDA, which regulates meat, has decided that meat products that consist of more than 3.5 percent cellulose cannot be recognized as nutritionally sound.

Bread: Duck Feathers and Human Hair
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Bread-duck-feathers-and-human-hair
L-Cysteine is an amino acid often used in dough conditioners, which softens mass-produced breads. It is made from human hair or duck feathers. Although 80 percent of L-cysteine is made of human hair, McDonald's uses the duck feather variety in its Baked Hot Apple Pie and Warm Cinnamon Roll.

Mushrooms: Maggots
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Mushrooms-maggots
Wikimedia

The FDA says its legally OK to have up to 19 maggots and 74 mites in a 3.5-ounce can of mushrooms.

Potato Chips: Cleaning Agents
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Potato-chips-cleaning-agents

Sodium bisulfite is used in most toilet boil cleaning agents. It's also used to extend the shelf-life and bleach out the discoloration of potato chips.

Chocolate: Rat Hairs
'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Chocolate-rat-hairs

We aren't saying that rat hairs are the secret ingredient of your favorite chocolate bars ... but they might make accidental guest appearances. The FDA allows one rat hair per 100 grams in six 100-gram subsamples of chocolate and 60 insect fragments per 100 grams in six 100-gram subsamples.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Empty
PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 am

Yeah, I already know about these. I have a friend who is very health conscious and she put me up on game. I have modified my diet drastically once finding out about it. And McDonald's is a restaurant I don't go to anymore.
Back to top Go down
Jason B.
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Jason B.

Male
Rep : 70

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm

I would rather live in ignorance.
Back to top Go down
FireIce918
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
FireIce918

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:25 pm

Vomit

Thankfully, I've cut a lot of fast food places out of my diet. I haven't been able to eat Wendy's comfortably after going there in high school and seeing one my classmates play with the cheese. And McDonalds is just all types of wrong.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 am

This sounds like a Fox News breaking story.

I knew about most of those 'disgusting' items, some of which I don't eat.

But they do advertise those things on the labels, just most ppl don't figure out what cochina or carmine are (the red beetle) or that gelatin is collagen which comes from skins and connective tissue. Lanolin, like our own sebacious secretions sounds disgusting, but it is just oil and can't be any more disgusting than lard or bacon fat.

How about bee barf (honey) or tree bark (cinnamon). Or how about bacteria in your yogurt. And, forget about the fish bladder in beer - the beer itself is nothing more than the piss and farts of yeast.
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 4:42 am

Crazy.

FUCKING NASTY ABOUT THE RAT HAIRS!!! I'm not big on chocolate (as I've stated several times) and this gives me another reason.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:36 am

I am having problems swallowing this whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'   '11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About' Empty

Back to top Go down

'11 Disgusting Ingredients You Eat Every Day That Food Companies Don't Talk About'
Page 1 of 1