Am I wrong? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Am I wrong?

Go down 
+6
Suzi
Shale
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Chris
Tony Marino
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:30 pm

I have a friend I have known for years and recently he has been doing something that really annoys me.

He came to my house yesterday and from the minute he walked in he was on his phone either talking or texting. After a couple of hours this really started to get to me because you were supposed to be there to visit with me and to just hang out for awhile.

Finally I got really pissed off when the conversation was interrupted when he got a text and then sat down to answer it. I told him that from now on if he wants to be friends, and wants to visit with me, he has to shut his phone off the minute he walks through the door. If he does not do this, then he is not welcome in my home anymore. He was a bit surprised and even became a bit defensive like he wasn't texting and yapping for the couple of hours he was with me. This got me even angrier because what am I a jack ass I didn't see what you were doing?? He finally shut the phone down and left 10 minutes later and was turning it back on as he was leaving.

People are so obsessed with their phones today, 9 out of 10 people walking the streets or in stores or anywhere public are carrying a phone in their hands. I can't understand this obsession, I have a very large family, a circle of friends and yet they manage to contact me without the benefit of me having my phone constantly in my hand. Was I wrong to say anything to my friend about his annoying texting and phone calls???

Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:41 pm

No I don't think you were wrong. That sounds rude. I mean, sometimes phone communication is vital and all, but it doesn't sound like he was expecting an important call or text. If he was, he probably would have said something to you about it. I used to date a girl in college who did something similar; whenever we would talk on the phone, she would often carry on conversations with people in the background and it would drive me bananas. We're talking on the phone, and suddenly her friends stop by and she calls herself trying to talk to me and hang out with them at the time. As she's hee-heeing and ha-haing in the background with them, I'm totally bored. Then she asks why I'm not talking.

It's like, you need to pick. Either talk to me, or talk to them. Can't do both.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Trust me it was all nonsense nothing important. I am just sick of people and their stupid addictions and I am thinking of making it a rule, if you want to come to my house, leave your phone at home. I don't care how many people I upset, its their problem not mine.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:03 pm

No Tony, you're not wrong. I would have asked him why he even bothered coming over.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Nah Tony. You're not wrong.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Tony, I feel your pain and no, you are not wrong to insist ppl give up their ADDICTION long enuf to see what's going on in the world around them, like real friends in person who deserve your attention more than the one on the other end of the device.

Glad to hear a young person making this observation and complaint. If I mentioned it kids would blow it off as just another old fart. I actually do own a cell fone. It is sitting beside me right now - turned off. I bought it when I knew pay fones were becoming history but only use it when I have to call someone while away from my landline. So, some of us old ppl who have lived without being connected 24/7 know that you can survive without it.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 5:00 pm

I think its just stupid that people would rather sit and play with their phones and Ipads rather than get out and have a great time with your friends without having to make and receive multiple calls and text messages.

My cell is turned off most of the time as well, I can't be bothered by people and their sick obsessions.

Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 pm

I think your attitude was the correct one, I'd be really pissed if a so called friend came to visit and then spent all the time on the cell phone.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Tony, you could have left him where he sat and gone out for ice cream or something. "Tony? Tony?"
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Your house, your rules...so no, you're not wrong. However, being a habitual texter myself, I have to wonder why he bothered to occupy himself with his phone in the first place. Maybe he felt bored? Am I wrong? 2517814472 I think it's rude to talk or text when you're engaged in a conversation or engaged in something but if you two were doing absolutely nothing, then I don't see a problem. I know when I go to visit people, we're doing something so I don't need to be on my phone every minute but if I get a call or a text, then I will excuse myself and answer it. I think it's silly to end a friendship over a cell phone. But oh well.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 11:43 pm

I definitely see where you're coming from on that one. My friend actually does this to me all the time.
Back to top Go down
tmontyb
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
tmontyb

Male
Rep : 37

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 8:40 am

I don't think you're wrong at all Tony. Why go to someones house if you're going to be text and talk to other people.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 10:52 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
Tony, you could have left him where he sat and gone out for ice cream or something. "Tony? Tony?"

Uncle, I was so mad my only thoughts were to get rid of him from my sight.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 am

Nystyle709 wrote:
Your house, your rules...so no, you're not wrong. However, being a habitual texter myself, I have to wonder why he bothered to occupy himself with his phone in the first place. Maybe he felt bored? Am I wrong? 2517814472 I think it's rude to talk or text when you're engaged in a conversation or engaged in something but if you two were doing absolutely nothing, then I don't see a problem. I know when I go to visit people, we're doing something so I don't need to be on my phone every minute but if I get a call or a text, then I will excuse myself and answer it. I think it's silly to end a friendship over a cell phone. But oh well.

NY we never even got to a point where we could hold a conversation, he was texting when he walked in and we would get some words in and the phone would ring and he would chat for a few minutes, hang up then start texting. It was just plain annoying. I have nothing against anyone that likes to play with their toys, just do it on your own time not mine. What he did was just plain all out rude. If there were other people around then that would be a different story, text till you drop but it was supposed to be a visit with just him and I.

Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 am

It was extremely rude. And I say that as a sometimes power texter. Even when I'm texting with someone & they have company show up it's understood we'll pick it back up later. It's common courtesy.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 11:04 am

CeCe wrote:
It was extremely rude. And I say that as a sometimes power texter. Even when I'm texting with someone & they have company show up it's understood we'll pick it back up later. It's common courtesy.

Thank u CeCe Smile
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 12:20 pm

Its funny but years ago there was a new rule of etiquette just for that new fangled thing called television. I still go by that rule you turn the TV off when company arrives. I suspect no one ever thought that there should be rules for guests with an even newer fangled thing the cell phone.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Land o' Goshen and consarnit! These dadblamed contraptions are going to be the ruination of us all.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 9:27 pm

As everyone said, you were totally in the right. Sounds like this guy takes it to the next level of rudeness. I can see a text or two, maybe even one call...but to do it the entire visit is disrespectful and a blatant indication your time is not important to him.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyTue Apr 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

NY we never even got to a point where we could hold a conversation, he was texting when he walked in and we would get some words in and the phone would ring and he would chat for a few minutes, hang up then start texting. It was just plain annoying. I have nothing against anyone that likes to play with their toys, just do it on your own time not mine. What he did was just plain all out rude. If there were other people around then that would be a different story, text till you drop but it was supposed to be a visit with just him and I.

Okay then. Yeah, that's fucked up. I just wouldn't invite him over anymore.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 11:00 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Okay then. Yeah, that's fucked up. I just wouldn't invite him over anymore.

Im not. For awhile anyway. I don't hold a grudge too often. At least he knows now how I feel.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Suzi wrote:
Its funny but years ago there was a new rule of etiquette just for that new fangled thing called television. I still go by that rule you turn the TV off when company arrives. I suspect no one ever thought that there should be rules for guests with an even newer fangled thing the cell phone.

I was going to mention that TV used to be the technological scourge - and I hate sitting with ppl while it is on because it is a distraction from conversation.

However, at least now you can call the person in the room with you on his cell and get his undivided attention.
blank stare @ you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Am I wrong? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I wrong?   Am I wrong? Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I wrong?
Page 1 of 1