CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Chris
9 posters

Ga. police handcuff, arrest kindergartner for tantrum

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Ga. police handcuff, arrest kindergartner for tantrum

Post by Chris Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57415181/ga-police-handcuff-arrest-kindergartner-for-tantrum/?tag=cbsnewsTwoColLowerPromoArea;fd.morenews

April 17, 2012 10:57 AM
    Ga. police handcuff, arrest kindergartner for tantrum

Ga. police handcuff, arrest kindergartner for tantrum Kindergartner_620x350
    When Salecia Johnson, 6, a tantrum at Creekside Elementary School in
    Milledgeville, Ga., Friday, April 13, 2012, a police officer who could
    not calm her down handcuffed and arrested the kindergartner. (WMAZ)

(CBS News) MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. - A six-year-old kindergarten student who threw a tantrum was placed in handcuffs for her safety, police said.

According to CBS Affiliate WMAZ, kindergartner Salecia Johnson is accused in a police report of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture at Creekside Elementary School last Friday. The report also said the girl knocked over a shelf, injuring the principal.

She was crying in the principal's office at Creekside Elementary before police arrived Friday. The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted.

She was handcuffed and taken to the police station, where she was charged with simple assault and damage to property, reports WMAZ correspondent Judy Le.

Speaking to WMAZ, Milledgeville Chief of Police Dray Swicord defended putting the girl into handcuffs.

"Our policy states that any detainee transported to our station in a patrol vehicle is to be handcuffed in the back. There is no age discrimination on that rule," he said.

Because of her age, she will not have to go to court.

Salecia's father, Earnest Johnson, told WMAZ, "A six-year-old in kindergarten! They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child."

Police said they tried to contact Johnson's mother, Constance Ruff, but were unable to reach her.

Ruff told WMAZ her daughter was suspended and cannot return to school until August. "She has mood swings some days - all of us have mood swings some days," Ruff said. "I guess that was just one of her bad days."

WMAZ's Le spoke with several other Central Georgia police and sheriff's departments, none of which could remember handcuffing a child that young. They said the use of handcuffs is at the officer's discretion, based on whether the child is a threat to herself or to others.

Salecia's aunt told WMAZ, "She might have misbehaved, but I don't think she misbehaved to the point where she should have been handcuffed and taken downtown to the police department."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: Ga. police handcuff, arrest kindergartner for tantrum

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:58 am

I read about this before and I don't have any problem with what they did.

Salecia's father, Earnest Johnson, told WMAZ, "A six-year-old in kindergarten! They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child."

Yeah, and teachers shouldn't have to deal with violent children. Sounds like this was done as a last resort. If the kid has problems then get her some help. It's not as if they used a stun gun on her.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:36 am

Knocking over shelves & throwing furniture is out of control. There was a greater possibility of hurting her had she been physically restrained or held down by an adult. Based on the article it doesn't sound excessive to me.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:39 am

Hey, society has made it so you can't really do anything else. You can't reason with a screaming child and if you touch them, you go to jail. We've created extremes like this.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Guess that had to do what they had to do.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Imagine her as a teen?
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:34 pm

This doesn't bother me at all because it sounds like something extreme was needed to be done to curb that little girl's out of control temper. If they don't do it now, she will only get worse as she ages. Since she wasn't charged with anything or has to go to court and was only detained, her parents should take use this as an opportunity to fix her attitude.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:This doesn't bother me at all because it sounds like something extreme was needed to be done to curb that little girl's out of control temper. If they don't do it now, she will only get worse as she ages. Since she wasn't charged with anything or has to go to court and was only detained, her parents should take use this as an opportunity to fix her attitude.

Unfortunately the way the article reads that looks unlikely. A lot of excuses going there. This is unacceptable behavior. Period. This won't fly even with my autistic daughter who technically does have an actual reason. However there are still consequences. There will be a temporary loss of possessions, privileges or the yard is gonna look real nice. All I'm seeing from the article is the "my little darling" syndrome. By the time they realize they should have worked on that it will probably be too late.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm

I can't pretend that the news of my little girl being detained in handcuffs wouldn't instinctively annoy or cause me to be defensive about it, but I agree that her behavior was out of control enough for extreme measures such as this to be taken. Her parents seem like the type who would go school and curse the teacher out for punishing their child for misbehaving.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:I can't pretend that the news of my little girl being detained in handcuffs wouldn't instinctively annoy or cause me to be defensive about it, but I agree that her behavior was out of control enough for extreme measures such as this to be taken. Her parents seem like the type who would go school and curse the teacher out for punishing their child for misbehaving.

Well said. I feel the same way. Maybe the experience will shape her up to behave better since the parents seem to not have the teaching ability to do that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:15 am