CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Nystyle709
Shale
Alan Smithee
Supernova
8 posters

Schools to implant chips to track students

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Schools to implant chips to track students Empty Schools to implant chips to track students

Post by Supernova Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 am

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/education/article/Students-will-be-tracked-via-chips-in-IDs-3584339.php

You know somehow I do NOT buy that this only applies TO when the kids are in school and that they're not going to be able to track the kids once they leave school property.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Schools to implant chips to track students Empty Re: Schools to implant chips to track students

Post by Alan Smithee Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 am

Well that title is certainly incendiary. I was expecting to read they were implanting chips in the students, not their ID cards.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Schools to implant chips to track students Empty Re: Schools to implant chips to track students

Post by Shale Mon May 28, 2012 10:41 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Well that title is certainly incendiary. I was expecting to read they were implanting chips in the students, not their ID cards.

co-signs

Agreed. Super should be writing headlines for The National Inquirer.

This sounds like a beneficial use of new technology.

I don't understand what the 'privacy' concerns are.

"...trustee M'Lissa M. Chumbley said she worried that parents might feel the technology violated their children's privacy rights. She didn't want administrators tracking teachers' every move if they end up outfitted with the tags, she added."

A kid is supposed to be in school. This just lets you know that they are in school and where they are if not in class. Same for teachers. Now if you see both the teach and the kid are in a closet together somewhere, maybe that is a 'privacy right' that needs to be violated.

I am a member of the ACLU but don't always agree with some of their overextended extrapolations of possible privacy violations. I see the good effects of this, which have been quantified in other places where it was used.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon May 28, 2012 11:12 am

Shrugs (Oh well…)

What's the problem?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon May 28, 2012 11:14 am

Well I was about to raise some hell about the illegality of microchipping people like pets lol. Don't really see a problem with this.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon May 28, 2012 11:37 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Well that title is certainly incendiary. I was expecting to read they were implanting chips in the students, not their ID cards.

Yeah that's how they got my attention to it too. Unfortunately though I could see that quickly becoming the next step; sure the kids can throw the cards away, and they'd have to pay to replace them, but if it happened enough times people could start screaming for something more definite.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue May 29, 2012 4:45 am

I'd never bring my ID to school with me, if this was a high school I attended growing up.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am

Cheaps wrote:I'd never bring my ID to school with me, if this was a high school I attended growing up.

If it was required while being at school, I would have had it. At SCHOOL. I would have tossed in in my locker at the end of the day.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue May 29, 2012 8:50 am

How do you think the device would stand up to a strong magnetic field? Teenage nerds would be putting it to the test - I know I would have.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue May 29, 2012 9:02 am

CeCe wrote:

If it was required while being at school, I would have had it. At SCHOOL. I would have tossed in in my locker at the end BEGINNING of the day.

Blue Cool that'd be me

I've stated several times, I was no prize pupil in high school, cut class and ditched school a lot. They weren't gonna be able to keep tabs on me like that.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 am

Cheaps wrote:

Blue Cool that'd be me

I've stated several times, I was no prize pupil in high school, cut class and ditched school a lot. They weren't gonna be able to keep tabs on me like that.

ROFLMAO! I hear you. I was terrible lol
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue May 29, 2012 10:38 am

Okay..................
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 am

Cheaps wrote:

Blue Cool that'd be me

I told my friend in Canada about this and she is outraged, saying for one thing it won't work because you can just give your card to somebody else and ditch, and also commented if she was a teenager and this and this was going on, she would quit school and just get her GED because that is an invasion of privacy and even teenagers have rights.

I have to say I'm with her, and I just don't get it. On one hand they say this is for SAFETY reasons, but in fact it's because if the school can bring attendance up, they get like a million and a half dollar bonus for the schools, so safety my ass. But I'd be lying if I said I thought Big Brother didn't seem to be playing a part in it too.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue May 29, 2012 10:57 am

San Antonio, Russia no doubt?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:07 pm