Does tradition hinder progress?  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does tradition hinder progress?

Go down 
+3
Shale
CeCe
Chris
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Does tradition hinder progress?  Empty
PostSubject: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:55 pm

In your opinion, does clinging to tradition impede progression?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Unfortunately it has that ability.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes, if you believe it is the ultimate reality and should not be changed.

Religious fanaticism is an example.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 1:58 pm

More often than not I think. I don't think all traditions are counter productive. I just can't think of one now.

"Why are we doing this?"
"Um, because this is how we've always done it."
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 5:12 pm

It depends on how we really define "clinging to tradition." I personally think the "tradition impedes progress" argument is typically a crock to justify something that cannot be justified by logic. Whenever people want something they don't currently have, they label it "progress" to make themselves look sophisticated for wanting it. "Progress" is the very thing that hinders progress. (How's that for a paradox? Wink )

When most people today speak of "progress," they are really speaking about progressivISM. There IS a big difference. TRUE progress is good, but not everything done in the name of progress is true progress. One could one day argue that child molestation should be legalized under the guise of "progress." (People will do it because cloak anything in progress and you'll get a bunch of mindless idiots to jump on board your cause without an iota of critical thinking) These progressives are bound to progress us right off a cliff. When mindless idiots are willing to "progress" us into destruction, if traditions can reel us in any, that's a GOOD thing, IMO.

I don't judge things on a "progress" meter. IMO, anybody who hides behind some vague notion of "progress" to justify themselves is a coward and a fool. The idea that just because an idea is "current," "popular," labeled as "progress," or whatever fallacious term you wanna use, doesn't make it right, moral, helpful, or worth considering.

So does "tradition" impede progress? No, I don't think so. People who use progress as justification for the things they do are what impede progress. If anything, I think more adherence to traditions could further progress. That being said, I don't believe in tradition for the sake of tradition either. I find both extremes rather unappealing. People who want something just because it is traditional are on weak footing, but at the same time, people who want something because it is "progressive" are on even weaker footing. I suppose I don't care if something is "tradition" or "progress." I go for what is best.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:22 pm

It can, but I also think tradition is every bit as important as progress. The future, the past, the present ~ all equally important.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm

Bluesmama wrote:
It can, but I also think tradition is every bit as important as progress. The future, the past, the present ~ all equally important.

Does tradition hinder progress?  35166
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does tradition hinder progress?    Does tradition hinder progress?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Does tradition hinder progress?
Page 1 of 1