Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? Empty
PostSubject: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:42 pm

I just found out that at my son's school, on the last day of school, the 8th graders get to go to a park via limo. It costs each student $20. So, I will have to decide this time next year if I let my son go or not.

I think it really sucks because the kids from families unable to afford the money are excluded. The only way I see it fitting is if the kids had an opportunity to raise the money somehow through the school.

For example, one of my son's friends could not go because his mom has four kids, is putting herself through school, and she has to make judgement calls on monthly spending and letting him go was not feasible. My son said he was pretty sad about it.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 pm

If a student isn't being forced to go, then I don't see a problem. Class trips have to be paid for somehow. If a child can't afford to go, then it is what it is. No one said he or she can't raise the money themselves, it doesn't have to be through the school.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:00 pm

I'd feel bad for the kids left out but they can't earn $20 during the school year?
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 11:45 pm

I think I would actually go to local businesses and try to get sponsorship--- you know.. let them say, "I sponsored five kids" or something like that.. Print up a certificate off the computer -- try to find cheap frames at the dollar store and let the shop/store whatever display it!

We did a "senior" picnic on the sports fields at the school. The teachers did all the BBQing... we had supersoakers shooting each other and it was HOT-- we threw water balloons at each other... shot silly string.. we had a lot of fun. I dont remember paying for the food... but we did do a lot of class fundraiser types of things like car washes, and candy sales etc. That type of thing is easy to do.. and joe corbi pizza sales... if a kid sold 9 or 10 pizzas it would cover the park trip.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 8:30 am

wants2laugh wrote:
We did a "senior" picnic on the sports fields at the school. The teachers did all the BBQing... we had supersoakers shooting each other and it was HOT-- we threw water balloons at each other... shot silly string.. we had a lot of fun.

That sounds like a good time. You students had fun and the teachers got a free wet T-shirt contest. big grin
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am

HAHAHA.... it was actually a lot of fun.. we played touch football with the teachers and the moved the volleyball net outside... it was truly awesome... what infuriates me is that i had a ton of pics from it... and they were destroyed in the floor
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 10:34 am

They should have some fund raiser during the course of the year for the kids that can't afford to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?   Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you agree with this 8th grade end-of-the-year tradition?
Page 1 of 1