CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Shale
Chris
6 posters

Local gentrification

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Local gentrification Empty Local gentrification

Post by Chris Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 am

Have you observed any previously rundown area of your city, or living surroundings, undergoing gentrification? If so, is it complete, and how much of an improved was made in your opinion?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Local gentrification Empty Re: Local gentrification

Post by Shale Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:23 am

My last trip to New Orleans in 2007, which I called my 40th anniversary tour, I walked in all my old neighborhoods and came to the realization that buildings & neighborhoods, just like ppl age continuously.

I went in neighborhoods that were being gentrified in the late '70s that were again run down. I revisited some of my old homes that were my home because they were low-rent and some of them were recently refurbished back to their original 19th Century grandeur and now out of my cost-range. (all but one of my previous homes were still there - my very first apt in '67 was now a parking lot)

If you take a very old city like New Orleans, gentrification is ongoing - certain neighborhoods going in and out of favor over the decades.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:27 am

Yes, and its a big improvement because they needed it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm

Not where I live but they've been doing that in New Brunswick for a while. Still plenty of crime and poverty though. Just not as visible.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes. They put a lot of money into a street downtown. It went from pretty scummy to really trendy with a lot of hip, cool shops and restaurants.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:52 pm

When I first moved into my neighborhood it was not very safe and pretty inexpensive. A good deal of the inhabitants were elderly people who did not have a whole lot of money for a better area. The good thing though was the bus service was excellent and there was a couple of good grocery stores walking distance from most apartments or houses.

We also had quite a few interesting and unique characters living here. Many were struggling artists, writers and actors who needed inexpensive places to live.

Over the years, like all neighborhoods in my city, it has become so gentrified only those with a great deal of money can afford to live here. As neighborhoods became more upscale the poorer people and then even those a bit better off could no longer afford to live there.

What was once a nice little interesting and scruffy but unique city has become mundane and boring because of all the "cool" people moving here because they think cool means being like all the other lemmings who have already flocked here.

I understand there are many cities like mine. I plan to move and I hope the city of my destination will not become "cool". Anything but cool.

While some may see these things as improvements and indeed fixing up rundown houses and making the area safer were good things. But this being done at the expense of those who could no longer afford to live here because of these changes does not mean improvment to me.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Spots in Brooklyn and the Bronx, especially the south Bronx, have been under gentrification for years. They build brand new, mostly luxury, apartment buildings and condos in hopes of attracting more desirable people to the neighborhood. Property value goes up, which makes the surrounding rents go up, then the hood folks are forced out because they can't afford it. It's tremendous in Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Minerva wrote: ...While some may see these things as improvements and indeed fixing up rundown houses and making the area safer were good things. But this being done at the expense of those who could no longer afford to live here because of these changes does not mean improvment to me.

I've seen this in the French Quarter in New Orleans and here on South Beach. In the '70s I lived in the Quarter or Faughberg Marigny with all my creative artist/musician friends. Then they all had to move out as the place was 'improved' beyond their means.

Same here on SoBe, which used to have local artist studios along Lincoln Road in the '80s. I used to hang out there and made friends with several of the artists. Now it is filled with national chain stores and local artists can't afford the rent.

I guess that is the way it is everywhere with transformation from a real community of creative ppl to a fake community of affluent renovators.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 am

I guess that is the way it is everywhere with transformation from a real community of creative ppl to a fake community of affluent renovators.

I like that. It's like someone said about Portland on another website in describing the changes here.

"Portland's transformation from a gritty but highly livable middle-class town to a fad-obsessed theme park"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 3:39 am