CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Nhaiyel
MandyPerfumeGirl
Supernova
Shale
Chris
9 posters

Your local library

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Your local library Empty Your local library

Post by Chris Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 am

Does your city have a library, and do you ever use it?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Your local library Empty Re: Your local library

Post by Shale Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:22 am

Yes, we have a Library System in the county, the main library being downtown Miami. I don't use it too much any more, but in the '80s did a lot of research for my wife's college course. (yes, I did her humanities classes - and got good grades) big grin

I do have some of my stuff archived there in the reference section Florida Room of local writers. A couple of compilations of news articles and opinion letters to which I contributed - "The Gay Rights Struggle in Gainesville" (and Miami) and "New(d)s Clips" articles on nudism in Florida.

I also have some of my own work, such as a foto essay on the homeless "Living on the Streets of Miami" and "Nude Attitude" a collection of my nudist columns.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:55 am

Constantly, there were times during my teen years when I practically lived there, went as often as I could, stayed as long as I could, and I still do, I'm always looking around at everything, seeing what books they have, what movies they have, audio books, CDs, and constantly seeing what old books they still have and haven't gotten rid of because that's one thing you just never know about the place.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:04 pm

My town has a library - and it sucks! So I hardly ever go there because it has approximately two books and a magazine. But I often go to one about a half-hour away - this one is located in a much larger town, therefore the library is huge, so I enjoy going there. :study:
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:13 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:My town has a library - and it sucks! So I hardly ever go there because it has approximately two books and a magazine.

That DOES suck, what's the matter with them?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:18 pm

The WOPL is within walking distance of my place, I'm there quite a bit during the summer. Nothing, however, beats the New Jersey State Library in Trenton. Unfortunately that's over an hour away from me, but yeah...I do frequent the library quite a bit. Last time was around mid January.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Supernova wrote: That DOES suck, what's the matter with them?

Hell if I know, lol. Well, the thing is it's such a tiny little town and everything about the town is so miniature. For example, we have a Wal-Mart, but we don't have a Super Wal-Mart. I think they just don't have the funds to make it a bigger and better library - although they were able to build a brand new high school about six years ago. Go figure!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Of course and yes.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:48 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
    Supernova wrote: That DOES suck, what's the matter with them?

Hell if I know, lol. Well, the thing is it's such a tiny little town and everything about the town is so miniature. For example, we have a Wal-Mart, but we don't have a Super Wal-Mart. I think they just don't have the funds to make it a bigger and better library - although they were able to build a brand new high school about six years ago. Go figure!

Kind of like they can always have 10,000 bake sales and car wash fundraisers every year to buy new sports equipment and uniforms but it never occurs to them that there's a problem with everybody needing to take turns with a couple sets of textbooks instead of a whole set assigned to each student.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 am

Yes - we have a dozen branches in different locations and I love using it - love reading but can't afford to keep buying books, nor do I have the room to store them. If I love a book, I'll buy it but for ones that I"m only interested in reading once, the library is great.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:45 pm

I LOVE our library system, and it is really great. I feel very Blessed that we have such a good system.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:37 am

Our library had a booksale the other day, and I was expecting it to be mostly donations, but I'd say about half of it was books coming off the shelves. And it's not like they sell excess copies of new bestsellers, they were getting rid of the prize winning short story anthologies from the 70s year by year, the history books on the American Indians, large sections of the mystery and sci-fi sections, the old Nancy Drew mysteries, now I can't figure this one out, they have Nancy Drew, and they have the Hardy Boys, they have almost the entire HB series, and a lot of them are the 50s edition books, ND they have maybe 6 of the original mysteries, 1 of which is old, the rest are reprints, and they never get rid of the HB books even though so many of them are old, but they get rid of the ND books and never had that many to begin with, I don't get that at all, but I digress...and they had another sale just a few months ago and had a bunch more stuff coming off the shelves, and a lot of it in excellent condition. It seems they're big on getting rid of a lot of the old stuff, and so far I haven't seen anything new or different brought in to replace them or fill those large gaps on the shelves, so I gotta wonder exactly WHAT it is they're thinking.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:06 pm

Supernova wrote:...It seems they're big on getting rid of a lot of the old stuff, and so far I haven't seen anything new or different brought in to replace them or fill those large gaps on the shelves, so I gotta wonder exactly WHAT it is they're thinking.
    Is the Librarian driving a new Mercedes? blank stare @ you

While in Gainesville, our library had a book sale and I got quite a few obscure books PLUS, I found the Penthouse magazine with the Vanessa Williams nude fotos. I didn't know our libraries carried Penthouse and Playboy but they were in the sales bins.

It could be some donated things maybe don't even make the shelves but do make the book sale events.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 am

There are multiple branches of our city library, however I only like going to the main branch downtown (but BECAUSE it's downtown, I rarely go). The smaller branches closer to me don't have a big enough selection and worst of all are too ripe with middle and high school kids, who make messes and aren't as quiet as they should be.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:52 pm