CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Shale
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
11 posters

'Children should be seen, not heard'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'Children should be seen, not heard' Empty 'Children should be seen, not heard'

Post by Chris Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Do you agree with the phrase 'Children should be seen, not heard.'
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

'Children should be seen, not heard' Empty Re: 'Children should be seen, not heard'

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Not quite.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

'Children should be seen, not heard' Empty Re: 'Children should be seen, not heard'

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:26 pm

To a point. Too many kids are not being taught respect or manners. Probably because their parents weren't either. For example, it does really bug me when I'm speaking with another adult and they let their child constantly interrupt. Also, a household shouldn't be a democracy. The parents need to be in charge. They're children...not little adults. That doesn't mean the kids feelings/opinions can't be considered but they can't be allowed to run things. Cherish your children but don't handicap them by letting them have their way all the time.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 pm

I don't agree, but I'm not mad at the sentiment.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:47 pm

It depends on what they have to say. Smile
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:49 pm

I have never like the phrase. To me it indicates kids should just sit and look cute and not have any voice at all.

I agree with what Al said. Parents should never let kids feel free to interrupt or call the shots. But they should have input in any situation parents make them privy to.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:48 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I have never like the phrase. To me it indicates kids should just sit and look cute and not have any voice at all.

I agree with what Al said. Parents should never let kids feel free to interrupt or call the shots. But they should have input in any situation parents make them privy to.
    co-signs
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 am

I truly believe that kids should be engaged in open dialogue with adults. talk to them as if they were adults, and you will have a better relationship with them, and when your daughter gets pregnant, or your son gets caught doing something stupid, they will be able to come to you for support and advice rather than hiding things from you out of fear.

Of course, one should still be a parent, but why not teach your child through your own conversations/openess
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 am

Alan Smithee wrote:To a point. Too many kids are not being taught respect or manners. Probably because their parents weren't either. For example, it does really bug me when I'm speaking with another adult and they let their child constantly interrupt. Also, a household shouldn't be a democracy. The parents need to be in charge. They're children...not little adults. That doesn't mean the kids feelings/opinions can't be considered but they can't be allowed to run things. Cherish your children but don't handicap them by letting them have their way all the time.
    co-signs
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 am

Yep!
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:46 am

Alan Smithee wrote:To a point. Too many kids are not being taught respect or manners. Probably because their parents weren't either. For example, it does really bug me when I'm speaking with another adult and they let their child constantly interrupt. Also, a household shouldn't be a democracy. The parents need to be in charge. They're children...not little adults. That doesn't mean the kids feelings/opinions can't be considered but they can't be allowed to run things. Cherish your children but don't handicap them by letting them have their way all the time.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:58 am