CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black Empty Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:18 pm

"Christians" LMAO! I'll give the pastor half a break because he did marry them but he and the other members should have told the "small minority" to go forth and "know" themselves. In the biblical sense.

A black Mississippi couple say a predominantly white Baptist church where they were to wed turned them away because of race.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson told NBC station WLBT of Jackson that they got the news from the pastor, Dr. Stan Weatherford of the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, the day before their long-planned nuptials.

"The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church," said Charles Wilson.

The Wilsons regularly attend First Baptist but are not members there.

Weatherford performed the wedding at a nearby church.

Weatherford said he was taken by surprise by what he called a small minority against the black marriage at the church.

"This had never been done before here, so it was setting a new precedent, and there are those who reacted to that because of that," Weatherford said.

"I didn't want to have a controversy within the church, and I didn't want a controversy to affect the wedding of Charles and Te' Andrea. I wanted to make sure their wedding day was a special day," he said.

Charles Wilson said he doesn’t understand the ban.

“I blame those members who knew and call themselves Christians and didn't stand up," Wilson said.

Church officials say they welcome any race into their congregation and will decide on how to move forward should a similar situation occur again.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black Empty Re: Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black

Post by Shale Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:29 am

Some christians still treat black folks like gay folks.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black Empty Re: Couple say Mississippi church blocked wedding because they are black

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:49 am

Shale wrote:Some christians still treat black folks like gay folks.

I acknowledge your sarcasm.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:08 am

I think Mississippi is the last of the civilized Southern states. Contrary to popular belief, blacks and white getting along better in the South now than anywhere else. Mississippi is a different breed though.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:46 am

"THEY CALL ME MR. TIBBS!"
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:30 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I think Mississippi is the last of the civilized Southern states. Contrary to popular belief, blacks and white getting along better in the South now than anywhere else. Mississippi is a different breed though.

alabama isn't that great either. Closer to the military bases, it seems relations are much better (i guess because the military personnel are from all over and not natives).

I gotta point out that this pastor can't be too bad of a guy. If he was against the "long-planned nuptials", then he would have simply told them in the beginning that there was no available date.

I find it hard to believe that if this couple has been regularly attending this church, how they did not face such bigotry/discrimination before??

BUT... IMO... this is much worse than the whole chick fil a thing. THIS couple was turned away, and discriminated against.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:40 am