Win a medal, pay the price Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Win a medal, pay the price

Go down 
+3
Cheaps
Supernova
Alan Smithee
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Win a medal, pay the price Empty
PostSubject: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 1:59 pm

You know, it's one thing if you're in Michael Phelps' category for endorsements but give me a break! Being taxed at the highest rate?!

Quote :
Go for the gold — but should you succeed, be prepared to dole out some gold of your own.

The U.S. Olympic Committee awards prize money to American medal winners: $25,000 for gold, $15,000 for silver, $10,000 for bronze. That prize money is taxed at a rate of 35 percent, Americans for Tax Reform calculated. On top of that, the medals themselves are taxed: You only have to fork over $2 to the IRS for the privilege of keeping your bronze medal, but carve off $236 worth from that gold medal.

Michael Phelps should have no trouble shouldering the tax burden — he makes millions in endorsements. But fellow U.S. swimmer Allison Schmitt has won two golds, a silver and a bronze in London. That’s $75,000 in total prize money — and $26,857 owed to the United States Treasury.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/US-medal-winners-pay-stiff-price-in-taxes-080212
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 2:46 pm

I heard about that on the radio, I agree it's a stupid idea, but then again aren't most when it comes to the government?
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Fucked up, hopefully this Allison chick will be able to score some endorsements.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Win a medal, pay the price 2517814472

I have to pay taxes if I win prize money. Why shouldn't they? Being taxed at an unfair rate compared to someone else who won or made the same amount of money isn't fair, but being NOT being taxed isn't as well.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I have to pay taxes if I win prize money. Why shouldn't they? Being taxed at an unfair rate compared to someone else who won or made the same amount of money isn't fair, but being NOT being taxed isn't as well.

co-signs
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm

More taxes that will do nothing productive. Just another day in America. boring
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

I have to pay taxes if I win prize money. Why shouldn't they? (That wasn't the point) Being taxed at an unfair rate compared to someone else who won or made the same amount of money isn't fair (This was), but being NOT being taxed isn't as well (Wasn't saying they shouldn't pay any tax. Just not at the millionaire's rate...if they're not millionaires).
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Considering many of them live frugally out of necessity in the four years leading up to the Olympics, they should definitely not be at the highest tax rate.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:30 pm

I was thinking about this a little more and maybe it's not a total rip off if the athlete gets a tax refund depending on the tax return they file, i.e., they overpaid according to the tax bracket they're actually in. But if 35% of that money is just jacked regardless if one gold medal is their income for the year then fuck that shit!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

But that's not how taxes work. When you when prize money, whatever you win has to be taxed at whatever rate (usually the highest) they determine. At the end of year, you're taxed within your income bracket. Depending on what you make/made, you could be overpaying your taxes, which makes for a healthy refund, or making a nice down payment on what you already owe.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
I was thinking about this a little more and maybe it's not a total rip off if the athlete gets a tax refund depending on the tax return they file, i.e., they overpaid according to the tax bracket they're actually in.

Add the fact that individual states also have their own tax laws. Some states don't tax an individual's personal income at all.

But if 35% of that money is just jacked regardless if one gold medal is their income for the year then fuck that shit!

LOL, according to current tax laws...that would be against the law. If a gold medal is worth 25k and that's ALL you made, you wouldn't be getting taxed the same as someone who's made 100k. And if any Olympic athlete has an accountant who is competent, it wouldn't happen. And this article is coming from FOX News. Not surprising how they made it seem like such an atrocity and got people up in arms about it.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

LOL, according to current tax laws...that would be against the law. If a gold medal is worth 25k and that's ALL you made, you wouldn't be getting taxed the same as someone who's made 100k. And if any Olympic athlete has an accountant who is competent, it wouldn't happen. And this article is coming from FOX News. Not surprising how they made it seem like such an atrocity and got people up in arms about it.

I agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Win a medal, pay the price   Win a medal, pay the price Empty

Back to top Go down

Win a medal, pay the price
Page 1 of 1