How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?

Go down 
+9
RedBedroom
Suzi
Nystyle709
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Nhaiyel
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Chris
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? Empty
PostSubject: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:00 am

Say your twelve year old son or daughter wanted to make an extreme hairstyle change (your son wanted long hair, your daughter wanted it short, they wanted to dye it another color, a mohawk, etc., etc.) would you allow it? How old were you when you started making your own hair decisions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:29 am

I admire parents who let their kids express their individual style.

I was a conformist in my teen years and actually gave little thot to style, dressing in khaki pants and plaid shirts like all the other nerds. I had a crew cut or flat top as my stepfather cut mine and my stepbrother's hair in the basement. Everyone had crew cuts except for the JD types with their DA cut.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 am

A reasonable level of control. I believe kids need some room for expression through hairstyle but I do think there needs to be some limits.
Back to top Go down
Nhaiyel
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Nhaiyel

Female
Rep : 123

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:22 am

I think it's something that kids need to gradually ease into. Most little girls start maintaining their own hair at around age 8 or 9. After a few years of that, they can start making decisions about how they want it to look. My parents weren't sticklers with that, by the time I was about 12, I was basically deciding how I wanted it to look. If I wanted it cut or if I wanted it to grow out, or if I wanted it styled a certain way, then that was my call; so long as I didn't do anything too extreme.
Back to top Go down
http://www.musicfanclubs.org/aaliyah/
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am

12 is about the age I would let them go to some extremes in their burgeoning spirit of individualism. I would also take many pictures for future display to my grandchildren.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:31 am

Alan Smithee wrote:
12 is about the age I would let them go to some extremes in their burgeoning spirit of individualism. I would also take many pictures for future display to my grandchildren.

This.

Things would've been a WHOLE lot easier for me if I'd been able to decide what I wanted done with my hair, then I wouldn't have had to endure hour long detangling and half hour long braiding sessions every single day just to keep it tolerable.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 pm

It would depend. They can make their own hair choices from about 10....as long as it was reasonable. My mother let me get a perm when I was about 9.....although I wish she didn't.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Hair was never a point of contention, I didn't care what they did to their hair, no matter how outlandish the hair grows and can change in a heartbeat.

One town we lived in there was a really good kid with the most peculiar hair do I ever saw. One day he walked by the shop where I worked and a co-worker said she would throw him out of the house if he was her kid. I reminded her that he was a really good kid and "besides the hair could change tomorrow". The very next day he walked by (I didn't notice) but the co-worker came running to my side of the shops, she thought I was a blooming genious the kid had gotten a hair cut and looked perfectly normal.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 6:23 pm

There should be limits for really extreme things, such as color. My son wanted blue streaks in his hair and that will not happen in this house. He's over it now after his one buddy that had blue streaks started to have his hair really thin out in the places he was adding vibrant blue to it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Red, there are worse things than blue hair
How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? WADDLE
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

Too true, too true.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

LOL, Al!

One thing I never have to worry about is a mullet with my son. He is a great kid, but totally vain about his hair cuts. (apparently, not so vain/wise about color!) I don't think he would ever go with a bad cut because he has had "Justin Bieber" hair long before Bieber was famous. One day it will be out of style, and I think he will still wear it long and swept to the side.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 11:27 pm

Depends on what "extreme" is. At that age I would let them choose in general but if it's too extreme, then nope. No mohawks and dyed hair though. Anything else we can talk about.
Back to top Go down
Suzi
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Suzi

Female
Rep : 85

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:08 am

Come on folks, it is only hair, it can change so quickly. I frowned on multiple piercings and tattoos, because they were permanent. My son got a tattoo when he was 45, I guess by then it was his choice but it was an incredibly dumb tattoo.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:37 am

Suzi wrote:
Come on folks, it is only hair, it can change so quickly. I frowned on multiple piercings and tattoos, because they were permanent. My son got a tattoo when he was 45, I guess by then it was his choice but it was an incredibly dumb tattoo.

Yeah really, my mom freaked out when I was 9 and tried giving myself a haircut to get rid of some split ends and took off 4 inches. But it DID grow back and SHE was the one freaked out about it and she wasn't even the one who had to wear it, I did and I didn't have a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:47 am

as long as they have me pay for it to get professionally done, rather than using a bunch of chemicals that make it fall out... i would be fine with it.

I'm from the 80s when we had mohawks, pink hair gels, and used soooo much hairspray that we punched a hole in the ozone layer lol
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:27 am

The cutting ok but the dying nope.
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 am

I think as soon as a kid is old enough to decide what they wanna do with their hair and bold enough to do it without asking, it's pretty much out of their parents hands. When I was about 11-12ish I started experimenting with my hair. My parents sometimes didnt like it, but at that point I was gonna do it anyway so that was about it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?   How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much control should a parent have over their child's hairstyle?
Page 1 of 1