CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
wants2laugh
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Supernova
Shale
AtownPeep
10 posters

Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce

AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce Empty Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce

Post by AtownPeep Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 pm

In the ATL, couples HAVE to go through some kind of marital counseling before they can file for divorce. Do you think this should be applied everywhere? I personally don't. If people can get married on a lark then making them go through counseling before divorcing seems silly.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce Empty Re: Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce

Post by Shale Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

It's always a good thing to try to mend it and an obligatory brief counseling session might not be bad. But if the guy is a psycho I can see a wife and counselor being part of a murder suicide, so it could be dangerous forcing some ppl to bare their souls or even follow civil procedures. Sometimes it is best just to walk away.

Let it be a proposal mentioned at the courthouse with maybe a free session if they want to take that course.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce Empty Re: Mandatory couples counseling prior to granting divorce

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Hell no. If people want a divorce they don't need a counselor telling them why they feel this way, they know why they do and if they're dead set on it nothing is going to change their mind.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:16 pm

I don't think so. But what I do think is a good idea is when children are involved, making them do a session with a counselor about co-parenting. The mistakes made by divorced parents amaze me.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Supernova wrote:Hell no. If people want a divorce they don't need a counselor telling them why they feel this way, they know why they do and if they're dead set on it nothing is going to change their mind.

Yeah, basically. I think the people want to save the marriage for counseling to have a shot, not because it's a routine formality required by the state.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm

awhile ago, i think it was louisiana and arizona, couples had the option of a "covenant marriage". This was an option. They are sometimes given a certain period of engagement before they can marry-- in one state i think it was 18mos. During this time, they go through pre-marital counseling. Once married, there is again a waiting period with counseling. Getting a divorce is much tougher-- adultery, abuse, and a couple other reasons. But there is no "irreconcilable difference". Not unless one of them files for divorce in a state that does not recognize the covenant marriage.

when i first heard of them, I thought it was a good idea... maybe if i had the pre-marital counseling i would not have gotten married in the first place. However, once i decided there was no saving my marriage--- i was to the point of pure hate... and wanted him nor his family anywhere near me!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:56 pm

I understand the concept behind it because I do think couples give up too easily....but nah, shouldn't be any mandatory counseling to file a divorce.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:55 am

How about making it mandatory BEFORE they get married?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:20 pm

^ co-signs
    Seems kinda backwards that peoples ability to get married for any reason (no matter how frivolous) are protected, but when it comes to divorce, you gotta get this kind of a clearance.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Hell no. It was bad enough the first time I had to put my life on hold for a year because of that idiotic 1 year legal separation BS. When people want a divorce they have a right to it without the government trying to "save" the marriage for them. If the government wants to do something for me, pay my heating bill. Otherwise butt the hell out.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:23 pm

CeCe wrote: If the government wants to do something for me, pay my heating bill. Otherwise butt the hell out.

LMAO!

that is freaking funny as hell--- i always love ur comments

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:36 am