CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
captainbryce
Forgiveness Man
Shale
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Marc™
10 posters

Is Voting a "Duty?"

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Question Is Voting a "Duty?"

Post by Marc™ Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 am

I got into a debate with someone whose opinion is that it's everyone's civic duty to vote, regardless if they aren't thrilled with either candidate. My position is that if neither candidate speaks to me, and I'm unimpressed by both....then fuck it....neither deserves my vote and I'll just stay home on election day. I personally don't think I owe it to anyone to give out my vote like Skittles on Halloween, just because.

What do you think....should everyone vote for a candidate, regardless if they are feeling the choices?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Question Re: Is Voting a "Duty?"

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 am

Marc™ wrote:I got into a debate with someone whose opinion is that it's everyone's civic duty to vote, regardless if they aren't thrilled with either candidate. My position is that if neither candidate speaks to me, and I'm unimpressed by both....then fuck it....neither deserves my vote and I'll just stay home on election day. I personally don't think I owe it to anyone to give out my vote like Skittles on Halloween, just because.

What do you think....should everyone vote for a candidate, regardless if they are feeling the choices?

I've had a very strong opinion on this for a long time. I firmly believe that if you don't vote, then keep your mouth shut if you don't like the way things are run. A person's choice on for whom to vote isn't limited to Democrat or Republican. Even if they're the only two candidates on the ballot. Write someone in. Vote for the lesser of the two evils. Vote for someone you think would do a better job. When I get back on Sunday I'll probably read how this is "wasting" my vote. Bullshit. The only time you waste your vote is when you don't vote. A few weeks ago I posted something on the Republican efforts at voter suppression. That any rational person can see is very real. I guess one of the things that pisses me off is when people treat their right to vote as their right not to vote.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 am

Alan Smithee wrote:

I've had a very strong opinion on this for a long time. I firmly believe that if you don't vote, then keep your mouth shut if you don't like the way things are run. A person's choice on for whom to vote isn't limited to Democrat or Republican. Even if they're the only two candidates on the ballot. Write someone in. Vote for the lesser of the two evils. Vote for someone you think would do a better job. When I get back on Sunday I'll probably read how this is "wasting" my vote. Bullshit. The only time you waste your vote is when you don't vote. A few weeks ago I posted something on the Republican efforts at voter suppression. That any rational person can see is very real. I guess one of the things that pisses me off is when people treat their right to vote as their right not to vote.

co-signs repeatedly Is Voting a "Duty?" Nod
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:04 am

Alan Smithee wrote: [... Vote for the lesser of the two evils. Vote for someone you think would do a better job. ...

This is the main point to consider. I think a lot of Americans don't vote for a candidate as much as they vote against the other one.

Also the reality of American politics. Either the Repugnican candidate or the Democrat are going to win the election. If you vote your conscience for a third party "spoiler" or write in someone, you may satisfy your political conscience but you effectively have thrown your vote away.

I voted for the unknown Communist party candidate instead of Jimmy Carter the first time. I am so glad Carter won that election or I woulda felt bad for throwing my vote away - but it was the first time Communists were allowed on the ballot and I wanted to give them a showing.

Shameless Political Plug:
    If you value civil rights vote for Obama (against Rmoney). No guarantee he can deliver them but at least he has not vowed repeatedly to curtail them. Oh and the economy point. Neither one knows how or has the balls to get us out of this depression - but I trust Obama not to pad the already bulging pockets of corporations at the expense of the workers.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 am

Sometimes
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

Is voting a civic duty? Only in the philosophical sense, to those who believe that every right implies a responsibility to that right. However, in the most literal sense of the term, no. Voting is NOT a civic duty. Signing up for the draft when you reach the age of majority is a civic duty. Serving on a jury is a civic duty. Paying taxes is a civic duty. All of these are things required by the law of citizens. Voting (or even registering to vote) are not. That is merely a right that we are guaranteed as citizens, but it is not a civic duty.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:40 am

The voting age in the US was 21 when I first started voting. I was 21 a few days before so I registered before my birthday. My first vote was cast November 4th 1960. I have voted in every election I was qualified to vote in. Even though we weren't Canadian citizens until we were qualified (after 5 years then) we were still able to vote in city elections and did. It is a duty and a privilege and a right to vote. If you lived in many other countries you wouldn't be allowed to vote or forced to vote for only one candidate. So get out there and vote, you may not like the candidates so vote for the lesser of 2 evils!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

co-signs

And being that it wasn't that long ago when I personally wouldn't have been able TO vote, I definitely feel compelled to. People have died for my right to vote.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Alan Smithee wrote: I guess one of the things that pisses me off is when people treat their right to vote as their right not to vote.
    Be that as it may, people DO in fact have the right NOT to vote. Unless something is mandated by law, it cannot be considered a "civic duty". Voting is a "choice" just like tithing to your church is a choice. Some people feel that it is their duty to tithe also, but at the end of the day it remains their choice. It's not something you necessarily HAVE to do. Whether or not people SHOULD do it is a completely different argument. You are unlikely to encounter a person living in the US who feels like they should not have the RIGHT to vote. But that in itself doesn't mean that they must feel compelled to actually vote. Not every woman who is "pro-choice" would feel compelled to get an abortion if they got pregnant. Having the right to do something should not necessitate an expectation of doing that thing.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 pm

In every presidential election since I became eligible to vote, I have had strong enough feelings for (or against) one side to make it my business to get to the polls and vote. I almost can't imagine a situation where presidential candidates would cause me indifference, or where I'd be offput by them both to the point of not wanting to bother. I'm a democrat and so I never want to see a Republican in office, that alone is motivation enough even if I'm not in awe of my party's guy.

However, I have been known to skip local elections for the same reasons.

Yes. I think everyone should see it as their duty to get out and vote. Let your opinion factor into how the country is steered and run. Even if you don't like your parties guy, do like Allen said and vote for who you think the lesser evil is.
    Verve
    Verve
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by Verve Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:02 am

I'm in a similar predicament now. In '08 I enthusiastically voted for Obama, but he's been a colossal disappointment. My support hasn't turned to Romney and if I do make it out to vote again this year Obama will most likely be who I choose but he's been such a disappointment that I almost dread voting in his favor again.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

Verve wrote:I'm in a similar predicament now. In '08 I enthusiastically voted for Obama, but he's been a colossal disappointment. My support hasn't turned to Romney and if I do make it out to vote again this year Obama will most likely be who I choose but he's been such a disappointment that I almost dread voting in his favor again.
    I have to ask how much more did you expect Obama to accomplish with the republicans in congress unwilling to cooperate at all? You forget that the republicans would destroy your country to make sure Obama doesn't get a 2nd term in office? Mitch McConnell said that was their only priority. In spite of their obstructionism

Date Accomplishment Category Beneficiary Rank
    05/19/12 Agreement negotiated and completed to allow blind Chinese dissident, Chen Guangcheng, to study in USA International Relations Compassion & Freedom of Speech
    05/09/12 Barack Obama becomes the first President to publicly support the legalization of same sex marriage Defense of Marriage Act LGBT
    04/04/12 Members of Congress and certain government employees prohibited from using non-public information for personal profit, including insider trading. STOCK Act U.S. Citizens & Reducing Govt Fraud\Corruption
    02/22/12 Cuts in Medicare physician payment rates averted with extension of existing rates through 2012 Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Cr... Doctors & Retirees
    02/22/12 Federal unemployment benefits programs extended an additional 13 to 20 weeks Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Cr... Unemployed & Improving the Economy
    02/22/12 Self-employed social security payroll tax reduction from 12.4% to 10.4 % extended through 2012 Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Cr... Entrepreneurs & Improving the Economy
    02/22/12 Employee social security payroll tax reduction from 6.2% to 4.2 % extended through 2012 Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Cr... Workers & Improving the Economy
    02/09/12 Pakistan Al-Qaeda leader Badar Mansoor killed by U.S. drone attacks Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    01/30/12 U.S. drone attack in Yemen killed 12-15 militants, including at least four Al-Qaeda leaders Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    2012 JAN Senior Al-Qaeda figure Aslam Awan killed in U.S. drone strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    12/17/11 War in Iraq ended with last American troops crossing border into Kuwait 2003 Iraq War U.S. Citizens
    12/06/11 US government international campaign initiated to build respect for the human rights of LGBT persons worldwide Discrimination LGBT
    09/30/11 $700 million annual funding for child protection, child abuse prevention, family support and adoption promotion through 2016 Child and Family Services Improvem... Foster Children & Orphans
    09/30/11 Senior Al Qaeda leader Anwar al-Awlaki killed in Yemen by a CIA-led U.S. drone strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    09/16/11 Patent litigation costs reduced through tightened patent standards, quality and processes to expedite challenges. America Invents Act Entrepreneurs
    09/16/11 Entrepreneurs and businesses benefited by reduced average wait time for patent approvals from 3 years to 1 year. America Invents Act Entrepreneurs
    09/11/11 Al-Qaeda's operations chief for Pakistan Abu Hafs al Shahri reported killed in U.S. Predator strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    09/06/11 U.S./Pakistani joint arrest of suspected Chief Al-Qaeda Younis al-Mauritani in Quetta Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    08/22/11 Al-Qaeda No. 2 Atiyah Abd al-Rahman Killed in Pakistan by CIA predator drone strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    06/07/11 East Africa's Al-Qaeda senior leader Harun Fazul killed at security checkpoint in Somalia Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    06/03/11 Al-Qaeda Commander Ilyas Kashmiri Killed in U.S. Predator Strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    2011 JUN 6 senior Al-Qaeda figures killed in U.S. Air Strike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    05/02/11 US Forces Kill Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    02/23/11 Defense of Marriage Act declared unconstitutional and no longer defended in federal courts by the Obama Administration Defense of Marriage Act LGBT
    02/05/11 Number of US and Russian strategic nuclear missile launchers reduced in half by 2017 New START Treaty Combating Nuclear Proliferation
    02/05/11 Number of US and Russian nuclear warheads deployed reduced by two-thirds by 2017 New START Treaty Combating Nuclear Proliferation
    01/04/11 Small family farms selling locally exempted from federal regulations such as traceability and record keeping Food Safety Modernization Act Farmers & Improving Govt Efficiency
    01/04/11 Safety of U.S. grown food improved with requirements for large factory farms to register all food handlers and maintain records relating to food safety Food Safety Modernization Act Consumers
    01/04/11 Safety of imported food improved with new FSVP & VQIP programs that helps ensure it is safe, unadulterated and not misbranded Food Safety Modernization Act Consumers & Improving Govt Efficiency
    12/22/10 US sponsored measure to include “sexual orientation” in the definition of human rights adopted by the UN General Assembly, 122- 0. Discrimination LGBT
    12/22/10 $193 million saved over five years by eliminating recruiting and retraining costs of replacing soldiers discharged due to DADT Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act Military Personnel & Reducing Debt\Deficits
    12/22/10 Gays and lesbians allowed to serve openly in the military Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repeal Act LGBT & Military Personnel
    12/17/10 $40 billion in tax credits for college students and lower income families with children 2010 Tax & Jobs Compromise Poor & Students
    12/17/10 Unemployment benefits extended for 13 months at a cost of $56 billion 2010 Tax & Jobs Compromise Unemployed & Improving the Economy
    12/17/10 $111 billion in tax relief for workers by a reducing social security payroll tax from 6.2% to 4.2% for 2011. 2010 Tax & Jobs Compromise Workers & Improving the Economy
    12/17/10 $136 billion in tax relief for 21 million middle class households through patch to the Alternative Minimum Tax for 2010 & 2011 2010 Tax & Jobs Compromise Middle Class & Workers
    12/17/10 $186 billion in tax relief for all tax payers by extending the Bush income tax cuts for 2010 & 2011 2010 Tax & Jobs Compromise Workers & Consumers
    12/13/10 Schools and communities provided resources to utilize local farms and gardens to provide fresh produce for school food programs. Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act Children & Improving Health & Wellness
    12/13/10 Number of eligible children enrolled in school meal programs increased by approximately 115,000 students Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act Children & Improving Health & Wellness
    12/08/10 $3.4 billion settlement for Native Americans against the US government arising from incorrect accounting for royalties on mineral leases Claims Resolution Act Native Americans & Improving Govt Efficiency
    12/08/10 $1.5 billion awarded to some 75,000 black farmers who were victims of discrimination in applying for farm loans from 1983 to 1997 Claims Resolution Act African Americans & Farmers
    10/14/10 Veteran work-study programs expanded to include congressional offices, state agencies and institutions of higher learning Veterans' Benefit Act Veterans & Creating Jobs
    10/14/10 Insurance policy amounts and terms enhanced for severely disabled veterans Veterans' Benefit Act Veterans & Improving Health & Wellness
    10/14/10 On-the-job training opportunities expanded for veterans by reimbursing energy sector employers for training costs. Veterans' Benefit Act Veterans & Creating Jobs
    10/14/10 Service members receiving relocation orders protected from early termination fees for certain contracts and residential leases Veterans' Benefit Act Military Personnel
    10/14/10 Disabled veterans provided improved independent assisted living services, automobile adaptive equipment and allowances for automobile purchase Veterans' Benefit Act Veterans
    10/14/10 $10 million in job training, counseling, placement services, and child care services for homeless women veterans and homeless veterans with children Veterans' Benefit Act Veterans & Women
    09/27/10 $30 billion lending program created for community banks with incentives to increase small business lending Small Business Jobs Act Small Businesses & Improving the Economy
    09/27/10 $12 billion in assistance for small businesses through eight separate tax cuts Small Business Jobs Act Small Businesses
    08/03/10 Large disparity in jail sentences reduced for crack cocaine related offenses that disproportionately affected African Americans Fair Sentencing Act African Americans
    07/22/10 Long-term economic stability improved through new FDIC powers to liquidate failing financial firms such as insurance companies and non-bank financial companies Wall Street Reform Act Improving Economic Stability
    07/22/10 Borrowers protected from bad loans with rules and penalties requiring that lenders verify that they are able to repay the loans that they issue Wall Street Reform Act Home Owners & Consumers
    07/22/10 Consumer Financial Protection Bureau established to promote fairness and transparency for mortgages, credit cards, and other consumer financial products Wall Street Reform Act Consumers
    07/22/10 Transparency of Federal Reserve improved with additional government oversight and new audits to be performed by the GAO Wall Street Reform Act Improving Govt Transparency
    07/22/10 FDIC bank deposit insurance increased from $100,000 to $250,000 Wall Street Reform Act Consumers & Improving Economic Stability
    07/22/10 Risk in the financial system reduced with new SEC Office of Credit Ratings (OCR) to monitor credit rating agencies for conflict of interests & inaccuracies Wall Street Reform Act Improving Economic Stability
    07/22/10 Future economic downturns minimized with new rules and transparency regarding bank trading in credit default swaps and derivatives including the "Volker Rule" Wall Street Reform Act Improving Economic Stability
    07/22/10 Financial Stability Oversight Council established to identify and monitor excessive risks to the U.S. financial system Wall Street Reform Act Improving Economic Stability
    06/29/10 U.S. drone attack killed 7 known terrorists, most notable Al-Qaeda operative from Egypt Hawza al Jawfi Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    06/02/10 Federal benefits extended to same sex partners of workers through memorandum by Obama administration Gay Rights LGBT & Federal Employees
    05/21/10 Al-Qaeda’s number three commander Sheik Saeed al-Masri killed in U.S. drone attack Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    05/05/10 Housing and care options expanded for homeless veterans living in care shelters Caregivers & Veterans Health Servi... Veterans
    05/05/10 Care options expanded for veterans living in rural areas that lack the necessary VA medical facilities Caregivers & Veterans Health Servi... Veterans & Improving Health & Wellness
    05/05/10 Counseling and care enhanced for military women victims of sexual trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) Caregivers & Veterans Health Servi... Veterans & Women
    05/05/10 Health care services improved and expanded for women veterans at Veterans care facilities Caregivers & Veterans Health Servi... Veterans & Women
    05/05/10 Family caregivers of veterans granted eligibility to VA counseling and mental health services Caregivers & Veterans Health Servi... Veterans & Women
    04/18/10 Joint American and Iraqi operation killed Al-Qaeda leaders Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Omar al-Baghdadi Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    03/30/10 $2 billion investment to laid off workers for education and career training programs in community colleges over four years starting in 2010 Student Aid Act Unemployed & Improving Education
    03/30/10 $68 billion to expand Pell grants & make it easier for students to repay outstanding loans after graduation through savings in the federal student loan program Student Aid Act College Students & Improving Education
    03/23/10 Consumers guaranteed the right to choose the primary care doctor or pediatrician from their health plan’s provider network Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 Insurers selling to groups of 50 or more employees must spend 85% of premiums on medical care and quality improvement Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 Annual dollar limits on health benefits restricted and phased out by 2014 Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 Health care insurance plans prohibited from putting a lifetime limit on the benefits you receive Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers
    03/23/10 50% discount on prescription drug costs for seniors in the Medicare "donut hole" starting in 2011 Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Senior Citizens & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 $250 rebate for those in the Medicare Prescription drug "donut hole" during 2010 Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Senior Citizens & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 Young adults can stay on parent's insurance plan up until age 26 Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Young Adults & Consumers
    03/23/10 Children under 19 can no longer be denied coverage or benefits for a pre-existing condition Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Children
    03/23/10 People denied coverage for a pre-existing condition given access to a temporary high risk health insurance plan Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/23/10 $143 billion in deficit reduction estimated between 2010-2019 from health care reform law provisions Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Reducing Debt\Deficits
    03/23/10 People with a pre-existing condition cannot be denied health coverge by an insurance company starting in 2014 Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Consumers & Improving Health & Wellness
    03/18/10 Offsets costs through a 30 percent withholding tax on income from certain U.S. financial assets held by foreign banks who have not agreed to disclosures. Hire Act Unemployed
    03/18/10 Encourages job creation by expanding investments in schools and clean energy projects Hire Act Unemployed
    03/18/10 $20 billion to the highway trust fund for spending on highway and transit programs. Hire Act Unemployed & Improving Infrastructure
    03/18/10 $17.5 billion in tax cuts, business credits and subsidies for state and local construction bonds to stimulate business investment and hiring Hire Act Unemployed & Businesses
    03/18/10 Tax credits to employers who keep new hires for 52 weeks to encourage retention of new hires Hire Act Unemployed & Businesses
    03/18/10 Social Security payroll tax credits in 2010 for employers that hired people who have been unemployed for 60+ days Hire Act Unemployed & Businesses
    2010 MAR Al-Qaeda operative Hussein al-Yemeni killed by U.S. drone attack in Pakistan Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    02/24/10 Al-Qaeda and Taliban-linked Fedayeen-i-Islam leader Qari Zafar killed in US airstrike Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    2010 FEB Militant commander Muhammad Haqqani killed by U.S. drone attacks Terrorism Combating Terrorism
    01/01/10 Discrimination based on gender identity banned in federal workplaces Discrimination LGBT
    2009 $28.6 billion net public benefit in income taxes and social security taxes paid because liquidation of GM and Chrysler avoided Taxes Businesses & Improving the Economy
    2009 $96 billion in personal income losses avoided by government financing and restructuring of GM and Chrysler to avoid liquidation Labor Workers & Improving the Economy
    2009 1.45 million American jobs saved overall by government financing and restructuring of GM and Chrysler to avoid liquidation Jobs Workers & Saving Jobs
    2009 115,000 jobs created at General Motors and Chrysler since government financing and restructuring implemented Jobs Workers & Creating Jobs
    2009 Liquidation of General Motors and Chrysler avoided through government mandated restructuring plans and conditional investment and loan programs Business & Economy Businesses & Workers
    12/17/09 Al-Qaeda Operational Commander Abdallah Sa’id killed in U.S. drone attack Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    12/08/09 Al-Qaeda Operational Commander Saleh al-Somali killed in U.S. drone attack Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    10/30/09 People with HIV/AIDS no longer prohibited from entering the United States Discrimination Immigrants & LGBT
    10/28/09 Existing hate crime laws strengthened with funding to investigate and prosecute those crimes Matthew Shepard Act LGBT
    10/28/09 Federal hate crime law expanded to include crimes motivated by gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability. Matthew Shepard Act LGBT
    09/14/09 Operation Celestial Balance: Navy Seals Kill Somalian Al-Qaeda leader Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan in raid Al-Qaeda
    09/14/09 Somalian Al-Qaeda leader Saleh Ali Saleh Nabhan killed by U.S. raid Al-Qaeda Defeating Al Qaeda
    09/04/09 White House voluntary disclosure of visitor logs Improving Govt Transparency
    08/29/09 Co-founder of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan Tohir Yo‘ldosh killed by U.S. drone attacks Terrorism Combating Terrorism
    08/05/09 U.S. drone attack killed Tehrik e-Taliban Pakistan leader Baitullah Mahsud in Pakistan Pakistani Taliban Combating Terrorism
    06/29/09 First-ever reception at the White House honoring Lesbian, Gay, Transgendered, Bisexual Pride Month hosted by the President and First lady Discrimination LGBT
    05/25/09 Sonya Sotomayor nominated and approved as Supreme Court justice Women & Hispanics
    05/22/09 Credit cardholders protected against arbitrary interest rate increases, hidden and excessive fees, and due date gimmicks Credit Card Act Consumers
    05/22/09 Annual awards program established to recognize individuals and teams making significant contributions to improving efficiency of defense aquisition programs Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Funding provided to hire and retain highly skilled specialists to assess the cost, schedule and applicability of proposed Defense Dept weapons systems Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Oversight and audit required of those major defense programs experiencing cost overruns to determine if the programs are essential and cost-effective Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Defense contractors prohibited from participating in both the systems engineering and the development /construction phases of the weapon systems Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Defense oversight council required to seek input from combat commanders in evaluating proposed weapons system capabilities and needs Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Independent cost assesessment director initiated to ensure that cost estimates for major Defense contracts are fair, reliable, and unbiased Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Defense Dept ordered to evaluate the technological maturity and product knowledge of critical weapons' technologies before letting defense contracts Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/22/09 Dept of Defense systems analysis, engineering and developmental testing processes overhauled to reduce high rates of failure on defense acquisitions Weapons Systems Acquisition Reform Improving Govt Efficiency
    05/20/09 $42 million in special funding for the Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate securites fraud in financial institutions Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $40 million in special funding for the Secret Service to investigate financial institutions for fraud Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $60 million in special funding for Inspector General's Office at the U S Dept of Housing and Urban Development to investigate financial institutions for fraud Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $60 million in special funding for the Postal Inspection Service to investigate financial institutions for fraud Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $80 million in special funding to the criminal, civil and tax divisions of the Dept of Justice to investigate and prosecute fraud in financial institutions Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $100 million in special funding for the offices of the United States Attorneys to investigate and prosecute fraud in financial institutions Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $140 million in special funding for the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate fraud in financial institutions Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 Securities fraud definition amended to include fraud related to commodities futures and derivatives fraud Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 Crime of major fraud against the United States amended to include Federal grants made to stimulate economic recovery for fiscal years 2009 and 2010 Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 Mortgage lending businesses added to list of financial institutions subject to Federal criminal law in fraudulent lending practices Fraud Enforcement Act Home Owners
    05/20/09 Financial Crisis Inquiry commission created to examine and report on the domestic and global causes of the 2008 - 2009 financial and economic crisis Fraud Enforcement Act Consumers
    05/20/09 $2.2 billion appropriated to help communities address the homeless crisis. Helping Families Save Their Homes Homeless
    05/20/09 Lenders incentivized to reduce foreclosures by loss mitigation guarantees, compensation and lender protection from lawsuits by investors holding the loans Helping Families Save Their Homes Home Owners
    05/20/09 Homeowners' foreclosures avoided by improved terms for loan modification and restructuring of their debt Helping Families Save Their Homes Home Owners
    04/21/09 Disadvantaged youth job opportunites enhanced by community service to gain skills/experience and earn education grants and stipends Serve America Act Volunteering & Community Organizers
    04/21/09 Community volunteer program expanded to address the education, health care, energy and veterans needs of low income communities Serve America Act Volunteering & Community Organizers
    04/21/09 250,000 volunteers by 2017 for community service programs in low income neighborhoods Serve America Act Volunteering & Community Organizers
    04/13/09 Restrictions eased on Cuba travel, money transfers, and cellular telephone/satellite service. International Relations
    04/11/09 Maersk Alabama Capt. Richard Phillips rescued during operation in which U.S. Navy Seal snipers kill three Somali Pirates holding him for ransom aboard lifeboat Somali Civil War Combating Terrorism
    04/01/09 Approximately 2.7 million jobs added to US payrolls and unemployment rate kept 1½ percentage points lower due to Stimulus spending 2009 Stimulus Bill Workers & Businesses
    04/01/09 Deeper recession or depression averted in 2009 and beyond with the help of stimulus bill provisions 2009 Stimulus Bill Improving Economic Stability
    02/17/09 $48.1 billion in investments for highway, bridge, high-speed rail & other transportation projects 2009 Stimulus Bill Improving Infrastructure
    02/17/09 $100 billion in education aid to prevent lay-offs, modernize schools, award Pell grants and help low income children & special education programs 2009 Stimulus Bill Middle Class & Poor
    02/17/09 $155 billion in health care assistance for the poor & unemployed primarily for Medicaid, health information technology and insurance premium subsidies 2009 Stimulus Bill Poor & Unemployed
    02/17/09 $70 billion in tax relief for middle class workers by patching the Alternative Minimum Tax for one year 2009 Stimulus Bill Middle Class
    02/17/09 $82.2 billion in aid for low income workers, unemployed and retirees (including job training) 2009 Stimulus Bill Poor & Unemployed
    02/17/09 Tax credit of $400 per worker ($800 per couple) for middle income workers for 2009 & 2010 totaling $116 billion 2009 Stimulus Bill Middle Class & Workers
    02/17/09 2010 real GDP increased by about 3.4% due to stimulus spending 2009 Stimulus Bill Businesses & Improving the Economy
    02/04/09 4 million more children insured under SCHIP in addition to the 6.6 million already covered Children's Health Insurance Progra... Children
    01/29/09 Pay discrimination based on gender, race, color, national origin, age and disability prohibited. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Women & Women's Rights
    01/29/09 Statute of limitations on filing equal-pay lawsuits eased by setting period to start from the date of the most recent paycheck. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Women & Women's Rights
    01/29/09 Employers prompted to review, develop and update their criteria on employee compensation to ensure they are applied consistently and uniformly. Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Women & Women's Rights
    01/21/09 Use of torture by CIA and military to interrogate prisoners prohibited.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:56 am

Thank you Suzi. I'll admit I'm not very enthusiastic this time around myself. So I understand that. But seriously do people who strongly believe in equal rights & the US getting back on its feet want to sit home on election day while the other side runs to the polls to vote for Romney because...well...the black guy?

Because honestly, we know the truth. People are willing to see this country destroyed, the middle class being decimated, corporations raking in record profits off the backs of the working class & rights being taken away just because of that. I'll be in that voting booth if I have to crawl there.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:36 pm

CeCe wrote:Thank you Suzi. I'll admit I'm not very enthusiastic this time around myself. So I understand that. But seriously do people who strongly believe in equal rights & the US getting back on its feet want to sit home on election day while the other side runs to the polls to vote for Romney because...well...the black guy?

Because honestly, we know the truth. People are willing to see this country destroyed, the middle class being decimated, corporations raking in record profits off the backs of the working class & rights being taken away just because of that. I'll be in that voting booth if I have to crawl there.

co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:39 pm