CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Supernova
Alan Smithee
Chris
7 posters

Should people be required to show photo ID before voting?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should people be required to show photo ID before voting? Empty Should people be required to show photo ID before voting?

Post by Chris Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm

What do you think, should presenting photo ID be a requirement in voting?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should people be required to show photo ID before voting? Empty Re: Should people be required to show photo ID before voting?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:46 pm

No. I think people should have to pay a fee not to vote.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should people be required to show photo ID before voting? Empty Re: Should people be required to show photo ID before voting?

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Hell no, this stupid law has overnight taken away the right to vote from millions of people who have never needed before in the 50-70 years they've been voting, to prove that they are who they are so they can vote. My mother says it's communism and I don't know she's wrong. If you want to vote through the mail, as we've always done before, you have to have a copy of your license or ID card made so the government will have it on permanent file, why? HOW many millions of fraudulent votes have there been in the last say 50 years that we REALLY need this?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Eventually, after they give it some thot and have guarantees that everyone can get said ID without all the present loopholes that seem to exclude those who were not born in a hospital from 1950 on.

There are older ppl who cannot access a birth certificate easily to get a state ID, which is now a requirement here in FL. These laws were just a modern 'Jim Crow' effort of the controlling Repugnicans in some key states to diminish the democratic electorate who are often impoverished and can't afford to be jumping thru these hoops.

At least today the one in PA was struck down, at least for this upcoming election because it was seen as nothing but a move by the Repugnicans to gain advantage.

It has been proven that the so-called voter fraud that these laws were supposedly going to stop was in the one figure percentages and insignificant, yet the Democrats who would be disenfranchized by these laws was significant to the point that some STUPID Repugnican in PA was caught bragging about it. (May have been the impetus for the court decision).
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 am

It shouldn't be....but if people weren't so lackadaisical and actually had photo identification, this wouldn't be a "problem" or issue to exploit. I don't see any reason why you are a grown adult in this country and you have ZERO photo identification at all. None, nothing whatsoever. Unless you aren't a legal citizen.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:03 am

Nystyle709 wrote:It shouldn't be....but if people weren't so lackadaisical and actually had photo identification, this wouldn't be a "problem" or issue to exploit. I don't see any reason why you are a grown adult in this country and you have ZERO photo identification at all. None, nothing whatsoever. Unless you aren't a legal citizen.

What about the millions of senior citizens who no longer have drivers licenses or passports and those were their only photo IDs? That's who this is really targeting, because the elderly always vote and this paralyzes them in that right. It takes more proofs of who you are and where you live to get a plain ID card than a license or permit but in getting those you have to hope you get enough questions right to pass the exam, and if you're a person who chokes on exams, then you're screwed, for some people it is a real catch 22.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:19 am

Supernova wrote:

What about the millions of senior citizens who no longer have drivers licenses or passports and those were their only photo IDs?

Go get a state identification card. Even freaking BJ's gives you a photo ID. You shouldn't be walking around with NOTHING to positively identify yourself. It's asinine.

That's who this is really targeting, because the elderly always vote and this paralyzes them in that right. It takes more proofs of who you are and where you live to get a plain ID card than a license or permit but in getting those you have to hope you get enough questions right to pass the exam, and if you're a person who chokes on exams, then you're screwed, for some people it is a real catch 22.

If you can get a driver's license or a passport, you can get a state ID. No it does not take more to get a state identification card. It's the same requirement sans a driver's exam. A birth certificate and proof of address. How hard is that?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

If you can get a driver's license or a passport, you can get a state ID. No it does not take more to get a state identification card. It's the same requirement sans a driver's exam. A birth certificate and proof of address. How hard is that?

If you had to talk to the people at our courthouse you wouldn't have to ask how hard it is. My mother gave up driving a long time ago and has been trying to get an ID card and needs 4 proofs of ID AND a bill with her name on it instead of my dad's to prove she lives at the house she's been living in for the past 35 years and everybody here knows her and who she is and where she is.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 am

Yes. And I agree with Ny, every adult should have some sort of photo identification.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 am

Supernova wrote:
    If you had to talk to the people at our courthouse you wouldn't have to ask how hard it is. My mother gave up driving a long time ago and has been trying to get an ID card and needs 4 proofs of ID AND a bill with her name on it instead of my dad's to prove she lives at the house she's been living in for the past 35 years and everybody here knows her and who she is and where she is.

Yes, not everybody falls into the convenient slots we all take for granted.

I don't have a birth certificate in my name - I would have to take all my legal papers (which are not the official certified ones so I would have to get those from Texas and the wrong-name birth certificate from California) Luckily, I have had a passport for years when it was much simpler and those are accepted instead of a birth certificate.

Where I work we have this problem with our residents who need State ID. One old black lady was born at home in the '30s in North Carolina. That was during apartheid and no one cared to register her birth. All we have for her is an official letter from NC explaining it. Here they don't take the copy of a birth certificate it needs to be certified - how many ppl have that? Also, none of our residents have any receipts for the normal household bills that most ppl have. We have been sending letters on our letterhead from the Administrator explaining this, but as Super said, what if one spouse or one non-related roommate has that?

It is not all that simple any more and some poor ppl can't take the time or money to jump thru all those hoops, which is the Repugnican plan when they implemented these unnecessary laws (and which the courts have stopped at least in PA.)
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:31 am

While people should have some form of ID it isn't as simple as it sounds. Some states do require 4 documentations to get one. There are still people around who have no birth certificate (which is one of the required docs) not because they "can't afford" it or are just "lazy". It doesn't even exist. If the government wants photo IDs, they need to be the ones to provide it the same way they provide a voter registration card. It needs to be done well in advance & not something passed a few weeks before a major election in order to guarantee a win for a particular candidate as was the case in PA.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 am

NY requires more than one documentation to get one too. However, it wasn't a problem for me or anybody else because I'm a legal citizen. The reason why they require more than one proof of documentation TO get any state issued I.D. is to stop illegal aliens from getting one (and some still do). But that's another issue. The people still around with no birth certificate....that's understandable in this day and age if you're 105. But if you've EVER had a driver's license or you've EVER had a passport, don't sit up here and tell me that it's sooooo impossible for you to obtain one now. And yes, the simple fact that some people don't have anything is attributed to laziness. My great grandmother never drove a day in her life, but she had state ID. My elderly aunt stop driving 15 years ago....simply because she doesn't feel comfortable driving on the road anymore after getting into a bad car accident, but she STILL has a driver's license. It's called renewal. When I moved to SC, I traded my NY driver's license for that one. When I moved back to NY, I traded my SC driver's license for a NY one. So do many people I know. You as an adult shouldn't be lackadaisical and keep up your documents and don't let them expire. If people did that, this wouldn't be an issue to exploit. That's how they're able to come up with these BS voter fraud laws. If BJ's can give you a photo ID, don't tell me you can't obtain anything. There are programs that assist the elderly with everything, from shopping to getting them to doctor's appointment to getting their medicine to SS benefits to housing etc. But I'm supposed to believe that it's just IMPOSSIBLE for them to get a form of photo identification? LOL.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:45 am

Nystyle709 wrote:NY requires more than one documentation to get one too. However, it wasn't a problem for me or anybody else because I'm a legal citizen. The reason why they require more than one proof of documentation TO get any state issued I.D. is to stop illegal aliens from getting one (and some still do). But that's another issue. The people still around with no birth certificate....that's understandable in this day and age if you're 105. But if you've EVER had a driver's license or you've EVER had a passport, don't sit up here and tell me that it's sooooo impossible for you to obtain one now. And yes, the simple fact that some people don't have anything is attributed to laziness. My great grandmother never drove a day in her life, but she had state ID. My elderly aunt stop driving 15 years ago....simply because she doesn't feel comfortable driving on the road anymore after getting into a bad car accident, but she STILL has a driver's license. It's called renewal. When I moved to SC, I traded my NY driver's license for that one. When I moved back to NY, I traded my SC driver's license for a NY one. So do many people I know. You as an adult shouldn't be lackadaisical and keep up your documents and don't let them expire. If people did that, this wouldn't be an issue to exploit. That's how they're able to come up with these BS voter fraud laws. If BJ's can give you a photo ID, don't tell me you can't obtain anything. There are programs that assist the elderly with everything, from shopping to getting them to doctor's appointment to getting their medicine to SS benefits to housing etc. But I'm supposed to believe that it's just IMPOSSIBLE for them to get a form of photo identification? LOL.

For some people it is. What about when you have a birth certificate but it's so old and brittle it's about impossible to read, and they won't take a copy of it, and if they can't read it themselves then they won't issue an ID? Because that's what some people ARE having to put up with right now. The whole thing seems more like a 'screw you, elderly, we're taking one step closer to proving you don't count as people' than 'keep the immigrants from voting fraudulently'.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 am

Supernova wrote: For some people it is. What about when you have a birth certificate but it's so old and brittle it's about impossible to read, and they won't take a copy of it, and if they can't read it themselves then they won't issue an ID? Because that's what some people ARE having to put up with right now. The whole thing seems more like a 'screw you, elderly, we're taking one step closer to proving you don't count as people' than 'keep the immigrants from voting fraudulently'.

It is easy to think things are easy when you were born two or three decades ago and in effect have little history.

But for those born 7, 8 or 9 decades ago, papers, if they existed at all are just about buried. The rural south didn't even record many ppls' birth - an entry in the family Bible was it and that may have burned in some house fire decades ago. Birth certificates that many ppl have from those past decades are not considered certified copies by today's standards which all got extremely stringent in the past decade since 09-11-01.

Personally, I was lucky to have gotten a passport in the '70s when it took very little ID to secure it in New Orleans. That became my base document for getting others since. IDK if I needed a birth certificate then or just a license (which did not have a foto on it) and a light bill from my address.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am

Shale wrote:

It is easy to think things are easy when you were born two or three decades ago and in effect have little history.

But for those born 7, 8 or 9 decades ago, papers, if they existed at all are just about buried. The rural south didn't even record many ppls' birth - an entry in the family Bible was it and that may have burned in some house fire decades ago. Birth certificates that many ppl have from those past decades are not considered certified copies by today's standards which all got extremely stringent in the past decade since 09-11-01.

Personally, I was lucky to have gotten a passport in the '70s when it took very little ID to secure it in New Orleans. That became my base document for getting others since. IDK if I needed a birth certificate then or just a license (which did not have a foto on it) and a light bill from my address.

Exactly, this is what some people need to realize instead of this whole 'well *I* don't have any trouble with it so nobody else should either' mentality or 'well this is how it happens where I live and it's easy so it's the same everywhere'.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:13 am

Supernova wrote:

For some people it is. What about when you have a birth certificate but it's so old and brittle it's about impossible to read, and they won't take a copy of it, and if they can't read it themselves then they won't issue an ID? Because that's what some people ARE having to put up with right now. The whole thing seems more like a 'screw you, elderly, we're taking one step closer to proving you don't count as people' than 'keep the immigrants from voting fraudulently'.

LOL. You are so dramatic. Why do you think they have to put up with it now? Because they never bothered to in the first place. My point, if you were following it, is that it shouldn't have been an issue PERIOD. why wouldn't you as an natural Americanized citizen, make it your priority to obtain photo I'D? Of course its going to be a problem trying to get all the necessary papers now. That is what they're exploiting! My point is, it shouldn't have come to that. My great grandmother was born in SC in 1918. She didn't have a traditional birth certificate either but she had a state I'D card up until the day she died in 2009. Why? Because she made it a priority to keep renewing it. she was never lazy about not needing one simply because she was old.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 am

Supernova wrote:

Exactly, this is what some people need to realize instead of this whole 'well *I* don't have any trouble with it so nobody else should either' mentality or 'well this is how it happens where I live and it's easy so it's the same everywhere'.

LOL. And some people need to realize that the woe is me mentality is played out and making excuses for something that ISN'T impossible shouldnt be tolerated.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:43 am