CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Suzi
CaffeinePlease
Shale
Tony Marino
Supernova
9 posters

Trick-or-treating when you were a kid

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Trick-or-treating when you were a kid Empty Trick-or-treating when you were a kid

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Comparing the customs and rules of trick or treating now as opposed to when you were a kid, what would you say has changed? Did you go all over or just to people you knew? did your parents go with you? Did you ever go into people's houses? Did you ever get and/or eat anything that wasn't wrapped like cookies or apples?

For the most part my brother and I only went to the people our parents knew, one year we went to other houses because we went with a kid who did go all over, our mother was always with us, one year his mother gave out cookies and since we knew her, we ate them, for the most part everything was wrapped, except one woman who put out a bowl of candy, and a bowl of little toy tops and whistles, now that one I thought was a cool idea. Sometimes we would go inside people's houses but never past the living room, or kitchen depending on what door they were answering.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Trick-or-treating when you were a kid Empty Re: Trick-or-treating when you were a kid

Post by Tony Marino Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:55 pm

Supernova wrote:Comparing the customs and rules of trick or treating now as opposed to when you were a kid, what would you say has changed? Did you go all over or just to people you knew? did your parents go with you? Did you ever go into people's houses? Did you ever get and/or eat anything that wasn't wrapped like cookies or apples?

For the most part my brother and I only went to the people our parents knew, one year we went to other houses because we went with a kid who did go all over, our mother was always with us, one year his mother gave out cookies and since we knew her, we ate them, for the most part everything was wrapped, except one woman who put out a bowl of candy, and a bowl of little toy tops and whistles, now that one I thought was a cool idea. Sometimes we would go inside people's houses but never past the living room, or kitchen depending on what door they were answering.

When I was a kid trick or treating people were not stuffing razors in apples and giving out poisoned candy or stuffing little bombs in the wrappings. I used to go with my older brothers and sisters and yes we went into peoples house and yes we ate cookies and brownies that they would give us and nothing ever happened to any of us.

Now these days I would rather not have a kid of mine go trick or treating at all.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Trick-or-treating when you were a kid Empty Re: Trick-or-treating when you were a kid

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:17 pm

The ironic part is back in the 50s when the needles and razor blades stories first started, and the poisoned candy, when it DID actually happen, it was an inside job, always parents trying to kill their own kids, not neighbors, go figure.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:25 pm

I thot the razors and needles were in the '80s when X-rays were being made available for your treats.

My first memories were from inner city St. Louis and we just went on the block. It was an innocent time, with homemade popcorn balls, taffy and candy apples being given out.

Then in the mid '50s we moved to the 'burbs and went several long blocks on our scavanging without parents going with us. The lanes were filled with kids and ppl were watching from their front doors. Mostly wrapped candy by this time and I cleaned up on the chocolates.

It is one of those archaic things that needs to die out in this world full of sociopaths who just wait for the opportunity. One reason I don't give out anything is that no one knows where the shit comes from and anyone where the kid stoped could be suspect if someone altered the candy.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Shale wrote:I thot the razors and needles were in the '80s when X-rays were being made available for your treats.

Apparently not, my mother said when she was a kid in the 50s, she was at a party and some kid there with her was told he had to go home because of a family emergency, his father had bitten into an apple with a razor blade in it. Of course, who knows if it was true or not, but 50 years ago they firmly believed it and back then they were already getting into the paranoia of don't eat anything that isn't wrapped.
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by CaffeinePlease Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm not sure if many trick-or-treating customs have changed since I was a kid - but then, as an adult now, I don't treat the trick-or-treaters! I shut off all the lights (including the porch lights) so they know not to come up the steps and bother me for candy (I know, total hermit right?!) Come to think of it, despite all this, a few of them still come around and they come around pretty early in the evening, when it's still light out. That's no fun! We would always go when it was dark out - that was part of the thrill!

But when I was a kid, it was a ball. I'd always go with a couple friends and my Mom would come with us to supervise. We went up to houses (both houses we knew and didn't know) as long as the lights were on, and knock on the doors, though we never went in anyone's houses. I never ate anything that wasn't wrapped up and sealed. I dressed as a witch every year - it was a blast!
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:06 am

I grew up in a small beach town in California, (It isn't small any more) back then we kids went trick or treating with friends or alone, parents didn't have to go with us, and teenagers didn't trick or treat.We also stayed within a few blocks of home. Today half the "children" who come to our door are taller than I am and have very deep voices. Last year I had a mother and daughter team, the daughter was 16 or 17 if she was a day! Before we moved here One very tall deep voiced kid came trick or treating at our door and brought his own beer with him, we never had Halloween there again. I would lock the gate and turn off the lights. Screw em", All the little kids had moved away and left the teen aged hoodlums when the grade school closed in that community.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm

What's changed? Kid's are a lot ruder! Even back in the 60's, my mother had to inspect our haul for booby traps. Apples were tossed as a matter of routine.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:55 pm

I recall my dad taking me out trick or treating when I was six. The next year my mom took me. The year after that I went with my older sister and her friends. Then the next few years I went with my own friends. This all sort of stopped when I was around thirteen or fourteen. I don't recall trick or treating after middle school. I may have gone to a Halloween party, or two, but aside from that I don't remember ever going into anyone's houses.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:57 pm

Supernova wrote:Comparing the customs and rules of trick or treating now as opposed to when you were a kid, what would you say has changed?
    I can't say too much has changed

Did you go all over or just to people you knew?
    We would pretty much go in our neighborhood, then drive to other neighborhoods in town.

did your parents go with you?
    Yes, up until I got to junior high I believe.

Did you ever go into people's houses?
    If it called for us to, yeah.

Did you ever get and/or eat anything that wasn't wrapped like cookies or apples?
    Never got cookies, occassionaly apples and bananas. We just tossed them, we had apples and bananas at home, we just wanted the candy.

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:42 am

^^^ Pretty much was she wrote. Although my folks never took me trick or treating. I always went with my cousins or friends.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:22 am