"Survivors' Guilt" Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Survivors' Guilt"

Go down 
+4
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Shale
RedBedroom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 5:03 am

What does that term mean to you?

I always thought meant if one was in a situation where he/she could have been killed, but wasn't, yet a friend/family member did, then that may lead to survivors' guilt.

Yet, the definition has changed to me. A few years ago, my friend died in a car accident. Our sons are close.

Her son spends the night often and I swear, I get so emotional when he does.

I just feel so lucky to see the boys doing all their stuff together when she can't. But I swear, I feel so bad. And Jay is of little help because he thinks I am being crazy. He doesn't understand that "momma bond."
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:28 am

RedBedroom wrote:
...I always thought meant if one was in a situation where he/she could have been killed, but wasn't, yet a friend/family member did, then that may lead to survivors' guilt.
yeah that… This is the definition as I understand it.

RedBedroom wrote:
...I just feel so lucky to see the boys doing all their stuff together when she can't. But I swear, I feel so bad. And Jay is of little help because he thinks I am being crazy. He doesn't understand that "momma bond."
This seems more like grieving.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am

Shale wrote:

yeah that… This is the definition as I understand it.

This seems more like grieving.

Yeah, what Opa Shale said. I'm sorry for your loss, Red.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I dunno. I don't know if I could feel guilty about being a survivor. Means I'm here for a reason.....
Back to top Go down
Hyacinth Girl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Hyacinth Girl

Female
Rep : 70

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 1:40 pm

For me, the term means "For what purpose was I spared?" I felt that when I was going through cancer, and watching some of the cancer patients I did work on as a lab tech, not survive. Ironic, that I was both patient and provider at times in my life, but that was the big one for me. I'd be sitting there, finding blood for transfusion for patients, right after I'd just gotten juiced up with chemo, myself, and while I don't see it so much as "guilt" in the sense that I should have died, too, but rather that there was a reason that I survived and was allowed to live. And that's the part that should dominate all things in the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Agree with the guys. It's a situation where you could have been killed but lived through it when others were not so fortunate.

I think what you're feeling Red is a combination of grieving & empathy for the child who lost his mother.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 am

RedBedroom wrote:
What does that term mean to you?

I always thought meant if one was in a situation where he/she could have been killed, but wasn't, yet a friend/family member did, then that may lead to survivors' guilt.

Yet, the definition has changed to me. A few years ago, my friend died in a car accident. Our sons are close.

Her son spends the night often and I swear, I get so emotional when he does.

I just feel so lucky to see the boys doing all their stuff together when she can't. But I swear, I feel so bad. And Jay is of little help because he thinks I am being crazy. He doesn't understand that "momma bond."

I agree with your Red that is what I think.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:04 pm

I always assumed that it was based on, as you said, the feeling of guilt because their life was spared and the other persons wasn't. Especially if the circumstances leading to the other persons death were heightened by the actions of the one who was spared.

Reminds me of that episode of Family Ties when Alex Keeton's friend died in a car crash and he blamed himself.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Sponsored content

"Survivors' Guilt" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Survivors' Guilt"   "Survivors' Guilt" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Survivors' Guilt"
Page 1 of 1