Animals and death Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Animals and death

Go down 
+3
Tony Marino
RedBedroom
Supernova
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 am

My sister's little rat terrier died yesterday. For about 10 years he'd been a big brother to a jack rat terrier and the two were inseparable. For a while we've been wondering how the death would affect him, do you think when one animal dies, and is taken away and doesn't come back, that the others are aware of what's happened, or do they look for the other one to come back?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of the doggie. I know you spent a lot of time with your sister's dogs.

I do think when one dog dies and he was close to another dog, the survivor dog goes through a grieving process. When they are both elderly dogs, I think the survivor doesn't have a lot of years left. When the survivor dog is younger, they do fine after mourning the loss.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks, Red, it's been hard on all of us but I know it's the worst for my sister. She called today and said they hadn't taken him to the vet to be cremated yet because once they take him, then he'll be gone. I can't imagine.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Sorry about the Dog SN, the other dog will probably be sad but will eventually recover.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Sorry for your loss cries. I don't know why a dog wouldn't mourn another dog. They mourn for people.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 4:16 pm

sorry... as Red said, they go thru a greiving process. they do it with ppl too.

my dad spoke german to the german sheppard (go figure). when my dad died, the dog was 4yrs old and didnt understand one english word that anyone said. the dog died 6mos later sad
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Supernova wrote:
Thanks, Red, it's been hard on all of us but I know it's the worst for my sister. She called today and said they hadn't taken him to the vet to be cremated yet because once they take him, then he'll be gone. I can't imagine.

Oh, Dear. I feel for your sister too. I can only imagine what they are feeling as they wait to take him in to be cremated. At least they are doing that so they can keep "him" forever. When my parents' dog passed when I was a kid, they kept her in the freezer (yuck, I know) until they could take her to Wisconsin to be burried on the family land.

These little pooches warm their way into our hearts and are our little family members.
Back to top Go down
Minerva
…is Significant.
…is Significant.
Minerva

Female
Rep : 18

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm

A vet I used to take my cat to said that he believed animals mourn. When one of my cats died, he told me to expect the other one to grieve. They had been together for eighteen years. The remaining cat did go through a sort of grieving period. He stumbled around the house searching for his friend calling and crying out for her.

It was especially sad because he had gone blind in his later years ( that's why the stumbling around) and she had watched over him functioning as his seeing eye kitty making sure he didn't bump into things steering him away from objects and keeping him safe.

Animals may not understand death but they know their friends are gone and they go through a grieving process because they miss them. They do expect them to come back for awhile. But they definitely feel a loss.

Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Sorry to hear that SN.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Sponsored content

Animals and death Empty
PostSubject: Re: Animals and death   Animals and death Empty

Back to top Go down

Animals and death
Page 1 of 1