CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
Marc™
wants2laugh
Chris
8 posters

Should the entertainment media be sensitive/censoring when national tragedies happen?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Should the entertainment media be sensitive/censoring when national tragedies happen?

Post by Chris Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 pm

In the wake of a national tragedy, do you think scripted television and movies should censor showing similar stories (or themes?) Like, say for instance, in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook shootings, radio stations stopped playing Kesha's song "Die Young," even though the song and its scenario had nothing to do with the situation.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Question Re: Should the entertainment media be sensitive/censoring when national tragedies happen?

Post by wants2laugh Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:47 pm

i can understand the censorship out of respect for victims, and the possible heart wrench for the public.

but for how long is that censorship supposed to last? WWII vets had bad reactions to Saving Private Ryan... some people were affected by movies about 9/11. so how long are you supposed to be sensitive?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Question Re: Should the entertainment media be sensitive/censoring when national tragedies happen?

Post by Marc™ Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:30 pm

No. At the most they should just add disclaimers.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm

wants2laugh wrote:i can understand the censorship out of respect for victims, and the possible heart wrench for the public.

but for how long is that censorship supposed to last? WWII vets had bad reactions to Saving Private Ryan... some people were affected by movies about 9/11. so how long are you supposed to be sensitive?

You mean there was no way for those ppl to avoid Saving Private Ryan or the movies about 9-11? They didn't know going into the theater what it was about? blank stare @ you

If a person is upset by something then they should not indulge in it and most entertainment, outside of TV is restricted to ppl who pay to see it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Marc™️ wrote:No. At the most they should just add disclaimers.

co-signs
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:29 pm

^ On OLTL when Blair was flying to Mexico to deliver Jack, she was on a plane that experienced turbulence. After 9/11 though, ABC completely edited out those scenes, because they thought any plane trouble would be too much of a reminder of what happened. I always thought that was going a wee bit too far.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:12 pm

I think most media outlets are more likely to air ( Wink ) on the side of caution so offended people don't write letters. I don't think it's a problem if a TV station decided not to run The Towering Inferno right after 9-11 but I don't know how long is long enough to wait.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 pm

I recall watching an E! True Hollywood Story on Dynasty many years ago. They talked about a story where terrorists crashed a wedding or something, then the narrator said something like how such scenes wouldn't air today because of the September 11 attacks. I suppose it depends on how close the plot is to whatever real life tragedy has just occurred and how on edge the nation is because of it. But IMO it should be strikingly similar in order for that kind of censorship to be enacted. Something just vaguely similar shouldn't matter.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Marc™ wrote:No. At the most they should just add disclaimers.

Should the entertainment media be sensitive/censoring when national tragedies happen? 35166

And I will further say that the media needs to stop its relentless coverage and sensationalism of tragedies like the this. It gives the nut baskets idea of infamy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:31 pm