CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+18
Shale
wants2laugh
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
MandyPerfumeGirl
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
Supernova
(Oh!) Rob Petrie
CeCe
TPP
GrayWolf
Marc™
Tony Marino
Chris
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
RobbieFTW
22 posters

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] Empty The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:06 am

I know this was a question in the Sat 6pk thread but I think this deserves its own thread, with today being the anniversary.

Where were you when the towers fell? The radical extremists were despicable, but do you think their underlying message and concerns were valid and needed to be heard? Is the Afghan war that's still raging worth it after all these years and do you think Osama will ever be captured?

This is kind of a sore subject for me because I'm part Arab and look it, and my dads side of the family is Muslim (even though I'm not). So even though I feel little Personal connection to the message being sent with the attack, it wasn't very comfortable looking the way I do at the time. I was a junior in HS at the time and heard some tasteless and downright racist comments from the other. Not so much direct AT me, but people who LOOKED LIKE me. So yeah me. There's a huge Arab population here and seeing the peaceful store owners and gas station attendants going out of their way to "make peace" with things like American flags for something they didn't even do so that their places wouldn't be vandalized was hard to see. The stories of middle easterners scrutinized at airports. Just not a very easy time because I felt like my people were under attack PLUS at the same time many American Muslims were still AMERICAN and also appalled and angry at their country being attacked as anyone else.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] Empty Re: The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am

9 years but it feels like just a few. I remember being in school when it happened. I didn't really know how bad it was until classmates started being pulled out. It was a scary day I know. I just hope the country is able to remember that day when it's not an anniversary.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] Empty Re: The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged]

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:22 am

I was at home, getting ready to go to class. Got up and got dressed and didn't have the t.v on the whole time. I had like an half hour to kill before I had to leave so I turn on the telly. VERY FIRST IMAGE that popped on the screen after I turned it one was a plane hitting the tower. I was thinking to myself 'damn, I've never seen this movie before....what the hell is this'. Immediately after thinking that, someone came on the screen and described what happened and what it actually was. My heart sank. My father worked down at the WTC frequently so that was the first person I thought about. Rushed to the phone to call him on his cell and wasn't getting an answer. I started becoming annoyed and basically decided to blow class right then and there. Started calling various people....people are calling me. We're just on the phone talking about it and whatnot, eyes glued to the screen, then I see the actual moment when the towers collapsed. Heart sank again. Now I hang up the phone with whoever I was talking to and started calling my father frantically. Still not getting an answer. I keep calling. Still not getting an answer. I'm starting to lose it. Mom calls me and asks me if I talk to my dad, I tell her no, and then she said she'll start calling. She calls me back after a while and says even she's not getting an answer. With phone blowing up back and forth, you can basically imagine that morning. And I was at home by myself. I started thinking about all the people that I knew who worked there, mainly friends and co-workers of my dad and I just felt so helpless....praying that they didn't go to work today, anything. FINALLY my father calls me back...after about 3 hrs later. I screamed on him and asked why he didn't answer the phone....he said he couldn't get a signal or something to that effect, but he was okay. He was in mid-town that day and he wasn't supposed to be at the WTC until the next day. He was on someone else's phone so he said he'd give me a call back later, he's trying to get in touch with people that he knows, etc but he just call to tell me he's alright. THANK GOD.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:33 am

Sleeping. A friend of mine called me and asked if I knew what was going on, then he told me to turn on the TV. I was shocked, but not nearly as shocked as when the first tower fell. Watching those towers collapse, just on TV, is one of the most incredible moments ever witnessed. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the bystanders who saw it happen in front of them.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:46 am

I was at work in Manhattan when a friend called to tell me that a plane had hit the WTC. A few minutes later another call saying the second tower had been hit. I turned the news on my PC and saw the two towers in flames. No one at work knew so I quickly spread the news around. Eventually we had to evacuate the building. There was no transportation running so we were all basically stuck where we were. I don't work downtown so we could not see what was going on, just listening to people talking. It was a sunny day, kind of like it is today. There were hundreds of people just hanging around talking quietly but there was a sense of calm in the air, no one panicked. Rumors were flying around that New York City was under attack by terrorists but yet, we remained calm. Finally hours later the subway trains started running. I gathered my co-workers and made sure that each of them would have a safe trip home.

When I got to Penn Station there were literally thousands of people waiting outside, they had closed the main entrance. I knew of a side entrance around Madison Square Garden so I went there with 2 of my co-workers who lived on Long Island as well and the entrance was open. We went down to the trains and with luck, there were trains leaving in our direction. I remember coming out of the East tunnel and I had a clear view of the Towers, I could see them burning and the smoke rising. They had not fallen at this point. I remember being very sad, not afraid but sad and I felt a tear fall down my face. People on the train were just calm, I guess most were just in shock.

When I got home first thing I did was put the TV on and pop an 8 hour tape into the VCR and recorded the next 8 hours. The worst was seeing all those people jumping from the buildings to end their lives before suffocating from smoke or burning to death. I remember thinking what if they had parachutes, would there have been more lives saved? If they fell into the river wearing a parachute maybe they would have had a chance to survive instead of falling straight down on the concrete to their deaths.

The memories still haunts me.

To this day its not easy going into the City, there are police, swat teams and the Army constantly walking around with machine guns and all kinds of weapons. Its a constant reminder of what we lost, the lives that were senselessly taken, but at the same time it gives you strength and courage with the knowledge that no matter what threat we are under, we stand tall and will not be taken down.

Last edited by Tony Marino on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:47 am

RobbieFTW wrote:I know this was a question in the Sat 6pk thread but I think this deserves its own thread, with today being the anniversary.

Where were you when the towers fell? The radical extremists were despicable, but do you think their underlying message and concerns were valid and needed to be heard? Is the Afghan war that's still raging worth it after all these years and do you think Osama will ever be captured?

Now, to answer THIS question....I will NEVER say that we deserved what happened to us on that day. Because over 3000 innocent people were killed. Two that I knew personally. However, I would never call the terrorists cowards because cowards don't die for what they believe in. I know why they did it. They're still fucking despicable, but I know why they did it. I feel if they were going to attack something, the WTC shouldn't been it. You don't kill innocent people to get your point across. They attacked something that represented America and it's wealth, not the actual problem that they had with this country. Bringing down the towers and the Pentagon wasn't and isn't going to stop the real reason you have a problem with America and/or its politics. Will Osama ever be caught? I'd like to think so, but I don't know. How a country who has the strongest military (and boasts about it) in the world can't find some sick, life support dependent nut job who hides out in caves is beyond me. Add the fact that two years later, we go in and INVADE a country who had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with 9/11 and FORGET about the real motherfucker who was responsible for the attacks in the first place is beyond me as well. Makes you wonder how much didn't our own people have to do with 9/11. Or whether bringing the real person to justice is that much of a priority.

This is kind of a sore subject for me because I'm part Arab and look it, and my dads side of the family is Muslim (even though I'm not). So even though I feel little Personal connection to the message being sent with the attack, it wasn't very comfortable looking the way I do at the time. I was a junior in HS at the time and heard some tasteless and downright racist comments from the other. Not so much direct AT me, but people who LOOKED LIKE me. So yeah me. There's a huge Arab population here and seeing the peaceful store owners and gas station attendants going out of their way to "make peace" with things like American flags for something they didn't even do so that their places wouldn't be vandalized was hard to see. The stories of middle easterners scrutinized at airports. Just not a very easy time because I felt like my people were under attack PLUS at the same time many American Muslims were still AMERICAN and also appalled and angry at their country being attacked as anyone else.

Exactly. Which is why that hoopla over the mosque being built is bullshit to me. When you have Muslims and Muslims families who lost their lives and loved ones in that attack, that is just crazy for you to think that just because the terrorists were Muslim, they didn't feel any pain. But that's basically what you're saying when you claim building a mosque near, not on mind you, the WTC site is insensitive. Your ignorance is insensitive. I had friends in school who were devout Muslims and actually removed their head covering because they lived in fear of being attacked or even killed. I can't imagine walking around scared for you safety like that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:13 pm

RobbieFTW wrote:I know this was a question in the Sat 6pk thread but I think this deserves its own thread, with today being the anniversary.

Where were you when the towers fell?

At home, sleep. When I woke up later on, my mother told me to not bother trying to watch anything on TV that day. I remember driving somewhere that afternoon and listening to the radio, and the deejays being very somber. They were taking on air dedications from people who had ties to New York and/or who knew the victims....one lady called in who was a flight attendant and talked about how they're trained for situations like that. This was a black station, WJLB, and the deejay talked about not letting the ethnicity of terrorists affect how people treated others in the same group....and asked for Arab/Chaldean/Muslim listeners to call and weigh in. Funny as it sounds, I remember thinking to myself "Arabs listen to JLB?" But they got a response, and one middle-eastern guy called in and said that he was just as upset as any other American, and that his community would be as willing to help fight against the terrorists as any other, etc.

GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 pm

I heard about it on Howard Stern as I drove to work. I think Robin interrupted Howard talking with the news. When I got work it was all everybody was talking about. I got home that night and it was all over TV on every channel.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] Empty 9-11 and other tragedies

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:44 pm

The other day I saw something posted on FB about 9-11-01, and a bunch of other tragedies happening on the 11th of a month, including the earthquake in Japan.

I'm sorry to say this, because I know full well that many lives were lost on 9-11 and that it has changed the way that our country does things and I'm truly sorry for any pain that any of you went through due to 9-11...

But in the scheme of great tragedies, does 9-11 REALLY compare to the giant tsunami that happened a few years ago? Or even to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan where tens of thousands of people are directly effected?

Or can you not quantify terrible events that way?

Or, do you have to consider the aftermath- the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, the passage of the Patriot Act, all that stuff as well?

Many people say that those things would have happened anyway, that 9-11 was just an excuse. Not being able to tell the future (or what is inside the hearts of man), I don't know if that is the case or not.

I'm just thinking "out loud" here, but I'm wondering if we think 9-11 is a HUGE deal because it happened "to us" and not "them".

I remember watching the news when the subway bombings in the UK happened, and right after reporting the events, the newscaster immediately went on to say "and now how this can be expected to effect YOU."

I was really saddened by that, I just felt like maybe we Americans can be a little too self absorbed. Here something bad happened to other humans, and immediately we're wondering "how does this effect me?"

Is putting 911 up there with these giant events that same kind of thing, or am I just thinking too much?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:00 pm

I don't think that's the case at all. The reason people may hold 9/11 in a.....I dunno.....'higher regard' is because 9/11 wasn't a natural catastrophe. It was intentionally done to us and lives were intentionally destroyed. The tsunamis of Japan and India, the earthquakes of Japan and Haiti of course killed and devastated more people....but that has everything to do with Mother Nature. No human caused it and no human could stop it. So perhaps the mass deaths of people that died in 9/11 and in the wars hit more of a nerve than a natural calamity because we as humans caused it, we do it to ourselves, and it didn't have to happen. This Earth is 5.5 billion years old. Tsunamis, earthquakes, typhoos, cyclones, hurricanes and everything else has been going on before we got here and it's going to continue. So for us to hurt ourselves is more of a shame in our psyche. At least that's the way I look at it.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I don't think that's the case at all. The reason people may hold 9/11 in a.....I dunno.....'higher regard' is because 9/11 wasn't a natural catastrophe. It was intentionally done to us and lives were intentionally destroyed. The tsunamis of Japan and India, the earthquakes of Japan and Haiti of course killed and devastated more people....but that has everything to do with Mother Nature. No human caused it and no human could stop it. So perhaps the mass deaths of people that died in 9/11 and in the wars hit more of a nerve than a natural calamity because we as humans caused it, we do it to ourselves, and it didn't have to happen. This Earth is 5.5 billion years old. Tsunamis, earthquakes, typhoos, cyclones, hurricanes and everything else has been going on before we got here and it's going to continue. So for us to hurt ourselves is more of a shame in our psyche. At least that's the way I look at it.

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense. I guess I'm comparing them because I have nothing else to compare the Japan situation to, from personal experience. My heart is breaking for all those people over there, and as I'm empathizing, 9-11 is the only thing that I can remember feeling even a small part of what they must be feeling about. Hurricane Katrina was bad, but I don't know that it was THAT bad. I was more shocked by the seeming lack of response...Watching people who had nothing to feed their babies literally brought me to tears.

I feel really lucky that nothing so horrible has ever happened here. We had a 7.2 or 6.9 (IDR what they finally landed on) earthquake when I was pg with my daughter, but aside from ruining our chimney and putting a small crack in our foundation that was easily repaired, life just went on. I don't think life will just "go on" for the people affected in Japan for quite some time.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree that what made 9/11 stand out was that we were ATTACKED! It wasn't a freak act of nature. It was an actual attempt from an enemy on American citizens.

It's kind of like how we pay more attention is somebody is murdered than if they die of natural causes or through an accident.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:I don't think that's the case at all. The reason people may hold 9/11 in a.....I dunno.....'higher regard' is because 9/11 wasn't a natural catastrophe. It was intentionally done to us and lives were intentionally destroyed. The tsunamis of Japan and India, the earthquakes of Japan and Haiti of course killed and devastated more people....but that has everything to do with Mother Nature. No human caused it and no human could stop it. So perhaps the mass deaths of people that died in 9/11 and in the wars hit more of a nerve than a natural calamity because we as humans caused it, we do it to ourselves, and it didn't have to happen. This Earth is 5.5 billion years old. Tsunamis, earthquakes, typhoos, cyclones, hurricanes and everything else has been going on before we got here and it's going to continue. So for us to hurt ourselves is more of a shame in our psyche. At least that's the way I look at it.

co-signs
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks guys Smile

So what about other countries, like in the Congo and places where genocide is happening right now, we barely hear about that, but it's intentional too...Is it because it's ongoing that it doesn't get listed with all the other terrible things?
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:40 pm

I think I would separate tragedies into two major categories: natural disasters and then intentional attacks. When it comes to natural disasters, you can't place the blame one person; but with 9/11 or the Holocaust or the Rape of Nanking, there's clear, violent anger against another group of people.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 am

Gotta agree with the others, we didn't lose a lot of lives in 9/11 compared to in earthquakes and tsunamis and hurricanes, but the difference is those are storms and other natural disasters, this was an all out attack. The only thing that people (some trolls) compare it to is the bombings of Hiro and Nagasaki which still pale in comparison, add to the fact that we were already at war when those bombs were dropped, we were not at war when the buildings were destroyed, so I guess what there IS to compare 9/11 to would be Pearl Harbor because once again it was an unprovoked attack.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:48 am

Supernova wrote:Gotta agree with the others, we didn't lose a lot of lives in 9/11 compared to in earthquakes and tsunamis and hurricanes, but the difference is those are storms and other natural disasters, this was an all out attack. The only thing that people (some trolls) compare it to is the bombings of Hiro and Nagasaki which still pale in comparison, add to the fact that we were already at war when those bombs were dropped, we were not at war when the buildings were destroyed, so I guess what there IS to compare 9/11 to would be Pearl Harbor because once again it was an unprovoked attack.

I think Pearl Harbor is a much better comparison.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:13 pm

NY said it very well. The difference between a natural disaster that costs tens…even hundreds of thousands of lives and how many Americans feel about our 9-11 is that somebody fucked with us.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:47 pm

thepossiblepolice wrote:Thanks guys Smile

So what about other countries, like in the Congo and places where genocide is happening right now, we barely hear about that, but it's intentional too...Is it because it's ongoing that it doesn't get listed with all the other terrible things?

It's because the media chooses not to focus on genocide. They pick and choose what they want everybody to see and/or hear. And yes, the fact that it's located in Africa plays another factor in that as well.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:Thanks guys Smile

It's because the media chooses not to focus on genocide. They pick and choose what they want everybody to see and/or hear. And yes, the fact that it's located in Africa plays another factor in that as well.

sad
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] Empty Bush declines Obama invite to Ground Zero

Post by Chris Wed May 04, 2011 4:02 pm

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/04/bush-declines-obama-invite-to-ground-zero/#more-157805

The 9/11 Discussion Thread [merged] T1larg.bush.warning

TRENDING: Bush declines Obama invite to Ground Zero
    mug.cnnpolitics By: CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Former President George Bush has declined an invite to join President Obama at Ground Zero Thursday to mark the death of Osama bin Laden.

The former president instead wishes to remain out of the spotlight, according to a Bush spokesman.

“President Bush will not be in attendance on Thursday. He appreciated the invite, but has chosen in his post-presidency to remain largely out of the spotlight,” said spokesman David Sherzer. “He continues to celebrate with all Americans this important victory in the war on terror.”

Obama’s visit to the primary target of the 9/11 attacks will come four days after he announced bin Laden had been killed by U.S. forces in Afghanistan. Obama will also meet with families who lost relatives during the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.

A senior Obama administration official added to CNN that Bush "was invited but is not able to come. Which we of course understand."

Bush’s decision not to attend the ceremony comes amid statements from several of his administrations top officials that the former president deserves significant praise for the capture of bin Laden.

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld applauded the successful mission Tuesday, but also highlighted the pivotal role their team played in the search for America's most wanted terrorist.

"It was also important that President Bush put in place counterterrorism strategies and policies, efforts that the military and intelligence have been making over the years," Rice told CNN's "American Morning" on Tuesday. "To work together better to achieve that kind of level of integration didn't happen yesterday. This is something that has been happening for quite a long time."

In a separate CNN interview on Tuesday, Rumsfeld praised the former president’s controversial decision to imprison several low-level Al Qaeda officials.

"It is those people that know the habits and locations of the senior people. It is a good thing that the people were held and that there were interrogations," Rumsfeld said. "That information was patched together over a period of time."

A recent Washington Post pew poll suggests Americans are giving more credit to President Obama than Bush for the killing of the most sought after terrorist

More than three out of four Americans said Obama deserves a great deal or “some” credit while 51 percent said the same about Bush.

Bush is expected to attend a ceremony at Ground Zero on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

That's cause Obama killed his friend.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 pm

I respect Bush's decision to remain out of the spotlight.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Wed May 04, 2011 11:17 pm

If I were Bush I probably wouldn't be too keen on celebrating the death of this terrorist that happened under my successors administration as opposed to my own. laughing
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Thu May 05, 2011 12:33 am

^lol, I totally agree, Cat.

I think it was more personal with Bush. I don't think he was "not able to come", I think he just chose not to. Like Cat said - his successor took down the man he couldn't. Looks like that ol' Texan is having trouble swallowing his pride. And Bush is an idiot anyway - what makes him think the spotlight would be on him? It would be on the president that actually succeeded and did something with his presidenital term.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:21 pm