CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Shale
Tony Marino
Supernova
7 posters

Flu shots

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Flu shots Empty Flu shots

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:51 am

Every year we seem to have these same discussions about who gets them, who doesn't, who thinks they do any good. Well, I've got a new one to toss in for my own view of it.

My mother talks to her mother-in-law every day, and my grandma and her daughter get the flu shots EVERY year and always insist that we should too. Well, for some reason, the day grandma got hers, after she got done shopping that afternoon she collapsed in the parking lot and became unresponsive. Were it not for the fact that two paramedics just happened to be there to revive her, she would be dead, and this was about 2 months ago. Now, nobody ever found out what happened to her, but that's not my main point here. My aunt has already had the flu TWICE since getting her flu shot this past fall, and TODAY when grandma calls, she has the bad news that she's got the flu for a THIRD time now.

Now, we were told in the beginning that anybody who gets the shot will STILL get a flu anyway, ONE you can understand, but 3 in about as many months?

Also, not wanting to jinx the luck on our side, but nobody in our house got the flu shot this year, or any other year, and 3 out of the 4 people in this house haven't got any flu yet since the season started. Now maybe it's just me, but the whole thing strikes me as being a little backwards. So far everybody we know who got the flu shot and acted like we were nuts for not getting it, have all gotten the flu, but we're all doing fine, *knock wood*.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Flu shots Empty Re: Flu shots

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I have never had a flu shot and have never had the flu so I will never get a flu shot. My father's doctor used to recommend he get the flu shot every year so he did but I don't recall him getting the flu either. He also used to get the pneumonia shot every year and isn't it funny that is one of the things that killed him, pneumonia.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm

When doing demographic studies you work with whole populations not some isolated anecdotal occurance.

An anecdote would be that woman who smoked 3 packs of cigarettes every day who lived to be 98. But when you see the whole population you see the mortality rate of cigarette smokers is much higher than non-smokers.

And, when you consider populations you see humans as a 'herd.' Yes, we live in congested close proximity and diseases can go thru us like any other herd. So, when most of the herd gets vaccinated and does not get sick those few without vaccination benefit from not being exposed to the pathogen. That is why there are so many incentives to get as many ppl vaccinated as possible.

BTW, I get a flu shot every year and also have not had the flu.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:06 pm

I've never had a flu shot but I probably should get the vaccine for shingles.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Flu shots CAN'T give you the flu. And since they CAN'T give you the flu, it is unreasonable to proceed under an assumption that someone getting sick after receiving a flu shot is a result of the flu shot that they got. That is essentially being superstitious! It would be like believing that the full moon causes misfortune in your life because every time you've gone out on the night of the full moon, something bad has happened.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:24 pm

captainbryce wrote:Flu shots CAN'T give you the flu. And since they CAN'T give you the flu, it is unreasonable to proceed under an assumption that someone getting sick after receiving a flu shot is a result of the flu shot that they got. That is essentially being superstitious! It would be like believing that the full moon causes misfortune in your life because every time you've gone out on the night of the full moon, something bad has happened.

Right, so how does a person get the flu 3 times in one season after getting the flu shot? I mean I get that there are many different strains, but I've never heard of anybody getting it 3 times back to back to back following a vaccine.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:36 pm

what people do not understand that the FLU is not one virus... it is many many viruses. The shot itself only protects against certain strains--- as is true with other shots such as HPV.

It is VERY likely that the flu shot given to protect one virus will not protect from another and therefore you can get sick. As far as having bad reactions... as with anything that you put in your body... EACH person is different. I have blood taken and have bad reactions! lol so i cant imagine having something injected lol
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:44 am

Supernova wrote:Right, so how does a person get the flu 3 times in one season after getting the flu shot? I mean I get that there are many different strains, but I've never heard of anybody getting it 3 times back to back to back following a vaccine.
    I can't explain that. I agree that this is indeed very "odd". But when things seem odd or go unexplained, they often tend to lead people to imagine the worst. If you hear a bump in the night, and you know you're the only one in the room, you may believe that there is a ghost in the room with you, when there may in fact be a perfectly plausible explanation for the bump. I don't know why your grandma got the flu 3 times back to back. And to be honest, I don't even know if that actually happened. I don't have enough information to draw a conclusion. Did she in fact have "the flu" all three times, or did she just get sick? There is a difference. Was she officially diagnosed with the flu on all three occasions, or was that just the assumption you made because she got sick after getting a flu shot?

Wants2laugh is correct in that the flu is not just one virus. There are many different kinds of "flu" out there and the flu shot does not protect you from all of them. Your grandmother could indeed have gotten a flu after getting a flu shot all three times (although this is highly unlikely), but that doesn't mean that the shot gave her the flu. It's just a bizarre coincidence. Depending on her age and condition, she may simply have had a bad reaction to the vaccine. Any immunization can make you sick (especially if you already have a weak immune system) for a few days while your body adapts to it. It could also be that she is allergic to the vaccine itself. There are any number of plausible conditions for why she may have gotten sick after getting the shots, but the idea that the shot gave her the flu is the least realistic. If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (however improbable) must be the truth!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am

my nephew is allergic to the DPT shot and it almost killed him at 2yrs old. he's never gotten another one... he was literally dead and the paramedics revived him.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 pm

I have gotten flu shots every single year without fail since 1987. The employer administered them every year, as did the next one I went to work for. In the 80's I had a LOT of respiratory problems, and often caught bugs, and it all stopped with the first year of the flu shots. So I've been a devotee ever since.

But I and my family did come down with the Taiwan flu a year or two later.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:35 am