CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

WHY I LIKE HORROR MOVIES

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

WHY I LIKE HORROR MOVIES Empty WHY I LIKE HORROR MOVIES

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Whereas my tastes vary I always find myself attracted to the latest horror flick coming out or has been out or just has been. In my lifetime I have literally seen over 1,000 Horror Movies I think. Everyone here seems to have a more versatile taste and I do stray from the genre from time to time but my focus seems to always be on Mystery/Sci-fi/Horror. I ask myself why?

I was the youngest in the family so my older brothers and sisters had to watch over me and what they used to do was allow me to watch horror movies. My older brother was a fan of horror and he used to sit with me and we would watch them and then he would scare the living daylights out of me, convince me that the creatures were real and they were coming for me etc.. I actually believed it but yet still wanted to see the movies! My sister and her friend took me to see the first Friday the 13th movie, I was young. When the movie was on and the murders started happening they would scream with the rest of the audience and jump on me and shake me and just make a big scary fuss! Yeah I was petrified but yet I still wanted to see the movies. They did this to me several times but I still could not stop watching. I would watch anything that was mystery/horror/sci-fi, even watching all the B horror movies from the 50's was a thrill for me, corny as they were. My brother convinced me that the 50 foot woman was coming and she was going to rip the roof off my bedroom and take me away. I remember staying awake the whole night sweating and waiting for it to happen LOL.

So should I blame my brothers and sisters for my Horror Movie addiction? I want to be attracted to other movies and I am at times but you can bet if there is a new Action movie playing and a new Horror movie playing, well.......you know which one I am going to see Smile
    Thanks for letting me rant. big grin
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

WHY I LIKE HORROR MOVIES Empty Re: WHY I LIKE HORROR MOVIES

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Interesting post to read, Tony.

I would bet 90% of kids who had older siblings who scared them during horror movies do not enjoy the genre as adults!

It would be interesting to hear reasons why people do not like the genre.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:14 pm

You would think after being scared like that I would shy away but I was more intrigued the more scared I was LOL!!

Yeah it would be nice to hear why people don't like Horror Movies.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

You were and still are a brave guy! Maybe it has to do with the fact you were desensitized by fearing all these things that never came to fruition. I think it's an interesting genre to be a fan of because you can really compare how different directors achieve certain effects. I have had a few friends over the years who really like horror movies and they have discussions about this and that having to do with how the movies are shot.

I don't like or dislike them. I just really prefer dramas and comedies and since I don't watch a ton of movies, I would not choose a horror movie. Plus when I watch a movie, I am usually scrapbooking, reading or on the laptop. And I think to fully appreciate a horror flick, one needs to keep their focus on what's going on visually as much as listening to the dialogue.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't care much for horror movies, never saw one Saw yet nor any of the Friday 13 movies.

I have watched Paranormal Activities, The Exorcist and The Omen - are those considered horror?

On TV I watch Criminal Minds, which show some real horrors of human depravity - but even that I will pass up if in certain moods where I can't take such cruelty. Perhaps it hits too close to the actual horrors that are discovered by police. Just a few weeks ago a man was burned with gasoline here for no apparent reason other than crossing paths psychopath.

Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Interesting post to read, Tony.

I would bet 90% of kids who had older siblings who scared them during horror movies do not enjoy the genre as adults!

It would be interesting to hear reasons why people do not like the genre.

I guess I'm in the 10% along with Tony, I've had older siblings as well as other relatives, I'd watch scary movies with, and they'd scare the hell out of me too, There's this certain thrill that's addicting that comes along with watching these kinds of movies.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Cheaps wrote:

I guess I'm in the 10% along with Tony, I've had older siblings as well as other relatives, I'd watch scary movies with, and they'd scare the hell out of me too, There's this certain thrill that's addicting that comes along with watching these kinds of movies.

Exactly but the only thing is that I don't get scared as much anymore if at all. I guess if the story is interesting (which most are not) I am still looking for that scene that is going to scare the daylights out of me like it did when I was a kid LOL! Even if the movie is bad I enjoy rating with the whole library that I have seen.

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

RedBedroom wrote:You were and still are a brave guy! Maybe it has to do with the fact you were desensitized by fearing all these things that never came to fruition. I think it's an interesting genre to be a fan of because you can really compare how different directors achieve certain effects. I have had a few friends over the years who really like horror movies and they have discussions about this and that having to do with how the movies are shot.

I don't like or dislike them. I just really prefer dramas and comedies and since I don't watch a ton of movies, I would not choose a horror movie. Plus when I watch a movie, I am usually scrapbooking, reading or on the laptop. And I think to fully appreciate a horror flick, one needs to keep their focus on what's going on visually as much as listening to the dialogue.

Exactly Red that I have been desensitized over the years and not much will scare me or make me physically ill in a horror movie. Believe it or not I have 1 friend that is into it as much as I am and him and I usually compare notes and discuss scenes, directors etc. Sometimes things happen so quickly in a horror movie and you have to focus on what is going on or you will miss something. I think the same could be said of say an action/thriller type movie as well.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Shale wrote:I don't care much for horror movies, never saw one Saw yet nor any of the Friday 13 movies.

I have watched Paranormal Activities, The Exorcist and The Omen - are those considered horror?

On TV I watch Criminal Minds, which show some real horrors of human depravity - but even that I will pass up if in certain moods where I can't take such cruelty. Perhaps it hits too close to the actual horrors that are discovered by police. Just a few weeks ago a man was burned with gasoline here for no apparent reason other than crossing paths psychopath.

The Exorcist and The Omen would be considered Horror movies in my book. Some of those shows CSI and Criminal Minds have mini horror shows now and then from what I have seen.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

The Exorcist and The Omen would be considered Horror movies in my book. Some of those shows CSI and Criminal Minds have mini horror shows now and then from what I have seen.

If that's the case then Dexter is up there on the TV horror genre list.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

If that's the case then Dexter is up there on the TV horror genre list.

I would consider Dexter a horror show.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:46 am