Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."

Go down 
+3
wants2laugh
Bluesmama
RedBedroom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  Empty
PostSubject: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 2:03 am

I guess to make this more of a discussion thread....have you ever lost a job or opportunity because you were over the hill?

I lost an account today for a local night club when the manager felt as if he had found someone else who, his words, "Knows what the young people are looking for."

Man, it stung, despite the fact he could be right. The part that burns the paw is it is in my own city. And I still have active accounts in Milwaukee and Chicago, so as long as they go strong, I feel OK. But, man, if I get similar messages, look for a depressed Red in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:57 am

Well, I think age discrimination played a part in my getting laid off. I performed my job very well, and the consensus there is that the level of service I provided will never be matched again (and I'll toot my horn and agree). The head honcho of the department has hired a lot of young people since he entered the picture 3 years ago. I long ago noticed that he likes giddy adulation from his employees, and I didn't do that.

It ain't over. But that's all I'll say on the matter.
Back to top Go down
wants2laugh
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
wants2laugh

Female
Rep : 87

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:41 am

Red.. if u are over the hill... what am i??

it has never happened to me... but i can understand his concept. however, someone "young" would not have the knowledge and experience as someone as "over the hill" as you. So if I was the guy... i probably would have tried to hire two.. an oldie and a youngie.. or suggested you getting a younger assistance. sorry that happened
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am

Bluesmama wrote:
...It ain't over. But that's all I'll say on the matter.
I hope you are inferring an EEOC lawsuit.

It is against the law to discriminate against a worker because of age. They are not even supposed to ask for your age info until after hire. (Altho subtract 17-18 years from the HS grad date and you have an idea of the birth year)

Of course when you go into a job interview with wrinkled skin and white beard it is obvious you aren't 20-something. I was feeling that conspicuous when applying for the position I have today and then I was 55. (Luckily the boss saw me and had a thing for older men - also against the law but it worked for me). Now, I consider this my last job since I am at retirement age and in this tanked economy don't think my chances of getting another job are very good.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Red, they didn't call you "Ma'am" when they turned you down, did they? big hugz Maybe it doesn't apply to you but I'm pretty sure that there are some youth oriented jobs that I'm not suited for.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
... I'm pretty sure that there are some youth oriented jobs that I'm not suited for.
Yeah, me too.

Underwear Model first comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Shale wrote:

Yeah, me too.

Underwear Model first comes to mind.

Speak for yourself! smug
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:
Speak for yourself! smug

Well, considering that old men still buy underwear, why not?

Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  5195843303_629819dbe6_o
Back to top Go down
Cheaps
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Ouch, sorry you had to hear it like that Red.

I don't believe anything like that has happened to me.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Nah.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."    Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."  Empty

Back to top Go down

Shitty work day in that I was essentially called "old."
Page 1 of 1