CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Nystyle709
Jason B.
TSJFan4Ever
Forgiveness Man
RedBedroom
9 posters

What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board? Empty What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I don't think for any of us this is our first experience with casual chatting on a message board. What is the strangest thing you have ever come across?

For me, it was at a board much like this one. Everyone was really decent and though I was new, I really enjoyed chatting with the folks there. They also had a live chat. So, one night I was getting pm's from a guy who was hinting to me that he was depressed. Basically baiting me to ask him what was wrong. He told me that he had just found out that his brother had died in Iraq. I am not a trusting person, but he went on and on and I believed him. I really felt like I should call him or something, but I couldn't really imagine my better half understanding why I would do that (he knows nothing at all about message boards and the like).

The weird part came when I was reading what he was typing in regular chat. He was acting totally normal by talking about where he is going to dinner and that his friend was coming over to cut his hair. Random day to day like that.

He began to beg me to tell everyone in chat that his brother had died and so I told him that I was believing him less and less. He got angry, it became a big mess (he was berating me in the live chat) and I never went back. I did get an email from an admin telling me that he was banned for personal attacks, but I never felt right about posting there again.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board? Empty Re: What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board?

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:46 pm

IDK, depends what we'd consider strange.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board? Empty Re: What is the strangest thing you ever witnessed on a message board?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:49 pm

Well, it is really subjective. Just something that sticks in your mind as being out of the ordinary.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 pm

Hmmmmm, I'll have to think on this; I am sure there'd be something, but I've encountered a lot of strange conversations for so nothing's sticking out just yet.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:04 pm

There was a huge dicussion about this in the One Life to Live forum. I'd say the strangest thing I've seen is the rabid Todd-hating fans. The way they attack and bait other fans is really over the top - accusing them of supporting rape and saying they deserve to be raped because the character is a former rapist. If I like The Italian Job, does that mean that I support thieves and deserve to be robbed?

The Todd-hating fanbase is the reason why so many non-soap viewers role their eyes or think there's something wrong with people who watch soaps. They're the most "out of the ordinary" thing I've seen - people who use fictional characters to attack and bash real life people, and the mods there do nothing about it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:50 pm

TSJ, I know what you mean. I watch Bold & the Beautiful, and at times read on boards about that show. It is mind blowing how serious some people get defending their favorites! It is as if they are family. I recall reading an interview with Allison Sweeney years ago where she said that women come up to her and yell at her for things her character did!
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:36 pm

I don't know how strange it is, but I'm always fascinated by how people will go to MB's targeted at certain celebrities and leave their personal info (phone #) and ask them to call. As though the celeb is reading the forum and would actually call if they were.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:07 pm

^^^^^ Yeah, that one.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:47 pm

I always get fascinated with people who go to the forums of shows they don't watch(and furthermore, outright despise) and start flaming that show there. Why give a show they hate so much of their time?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:55 am

Redbedroom you mean that one old lady who came up and started yelling at her to leave Austin alone? I think she even went after her with something - an umbrella? I also know that Trevor St. John received death threats and his family was threatened by rabid Todd-haters and after what I saw on SOC, it wouldn't surprise me that those were the people behind it all.

JB - that really is funny! Guess they think the celebs spend hours checking all the MBs out there.
    Dan70
    Dan70
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Dan70 Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 am

Stay away from the TWoP boards. That place is brutal.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 pm

SOC is another brutal place. The posters like to think they're above TWoP but the Todd haters bring it right down to the same level with their attacks and insults and veiled threats. The Todd haters have made SOC no better than TWoP.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm

I was on a sports board where some idiot guy was bullying people, calling them names and such. I went up against him in a word fight and he was threatening me, he was going to kick my ass, kill my family, all kinds of bullshit. I told him that I would meet him anytime and see who's ass he was going to kick. The minute I started showing I was not afraid of him and his bullshit threats, he suddenly backed down and was all apologetic, didn't mean what he said, he was angry, we should meet for a drink. What an asshole.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I don't think for any of us this is our first experience with casual chatting on a message board. What is the strangest thing you have ever come across?

For me, it was at a board much like this one. Everyone was really decent and though I was new, I really enjoyed chatting with the folks there. They also had a live chat. So, one night I was getting pm's from a guy who was hinting to me that he was depressed. Basically baiting me to ask him what was wrong. He told me that he had just found out that his brother had died in Iraq. I am not a trusting person, but he went on and on and I believed him. I really felt like I should call him or something, but I couldn't really imagine my better half understanding why I would do that (he knows nothing at all about message boards and the like).

The weird part came when I was reading what he was typing in regular chat. He was acting totally normal by talking about where he is going to dinner and that his friend was coming over to cut his hair. Random day to day like that.

He began to beg me to tell everyone in chat that his brother had died and so I told him that I was believing him less and less. He got angry, it became a big mess (he was berating me in the live chat) and I never went back. I did get an email from an admin telling me that he was banned for personal attacks, but I never felt right about posting there again.

That is pretty strange Red.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I was on a sports board where some idiot guy was bullying people, calling them names and such. I went up against him in a word fight and he was threatening me, he was going to kick my ass, kill my family, all kinds of bullshit. I told him that I would meet him anytime and see who's ass he was going to kick. The minute I started showing I was not afraid of him and his bullshit threats, he suddenly backed down and was all apologetic, didn't mean what he said, he was angry, we should meet for a drink. What an asshole.

Ugh, gotta love those people who say, "I'm gonna kick your ass" online. As if. I am so surprised that the guy you dealt with actually backed down. Good for you for putting him in his place.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:18 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:Redbedroom you mean that one old lady who came up and started yelling at her to leave Austin alone? I think she even went after her with something - an umbrella? I also know that Trevor St. John received death threats and his family was threatened by rabid Todd-haters and after what I saw on SOC, it wouldn't surprise me that those were the people behind it all.

I don't recall it in that much detail, but I just recall being blown away that a "fan" would be so mean to an actress for the role she plays. That is just unstable.

Is SOC Soap Opera Central? never heard of it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Is SOC Soap Opera Central? never heard of it.
    Yes it is. You might wanna consider yourself lucky. It's not the most pleasant of places. Wink
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks, FM. I can hardly stand the board at IMDb for Bold and the Beautiful. I probably wouldn't like that message board. I have such a low tolerance for people getting mean about shows. It is one thing to have our favorites, but quite another to slam people who like someone else.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:25 pm

^^^^YepYepYep! I agree. It's brutal over there, and the mods don't do much to make matters better either. (They're part of the problem)
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:30 pm

Useless mods are terrible aren't they? I really dislike the ones who play favorites among posters.

This board is so well run! Glad to have found such a cool place.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi redbedroom - there are a bunch of us from Soap Opera Central here - people who fled the biased, unfair mods who are out to get you if you don't love the same characters as them. The mods on the ABC boards have always been really biased but lately' it's gotten totally out of control with the Todd-haters given free run of the board and basically If you're bashing Todd or his fans, your posts are welcome, but if you like Todd, watch out - the mods and the Todd haters are out to get you.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:07 am

TSJ, that is so terrible. I am glad that a bunch found a better way to chat about the show, here. I see that there are frequent posts here about a certain soap, but I never really investigated which one. Goodness knows, I don't need to get hooked on another soap! I try to keep up with Bold and the Beautiful, but currently have the last 15 episodes on the DVR. But sometimes I am tempted to read up on what you all are talking about! Is is a 30 or 60 minute soap?
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 am

OLTL is an hour-long soap. Smile SOC has a reputation for being one of the nastier boards out there and the mods on the OLTL board are really biased and unfair. It got REALLY ugly awhile back and the owner had to step in but it didn't last long. My Mom watches B&B and I'll watch when I'm home, but that's usually just at Christmas.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:43 am

As your mom will probably tell you, you are not missing much by not watching B&B!! It is awful in recent years. But it is the only soap I watch...without commercials, it is 20 minutes. Usually doable within a week. I watched it since I was 18.

My mom was a total NBC soap fan. Another World and Days. (and Passions, but I have forgiven my mom for liking that one! LOL) So, I knew them well. It is funny, Mom had nurses at the house for her last five years. And some that I run into today still remark how she got them hooked on Days.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 am

Oh my gosh- I LOVED AW!! I was a third gen. AW fan. My grandma started watching and I guess my Mom got hooked because of her, and she got me hooked. I loved that soap. I keep wondering if it got cut at the height of it's glory. I mean - I still have such wonderful memories of the show, whereas with GH, by the time I quit, there was only bitterness and extreme dislike. Same with AMC when I quit. Days.. the memories aren't quite as harsh - disappointed more than anything. With AW, all I remember are the good times, wonderful memories of watching Viki's kids grow up, the buckets of tears I shed when Ryan died, when Frankie and Bridgette died, watching Cass and Frankie's baby girl growing up without her Mom... okay - i better stop before the tears start.

I'm really not loyal to soaps and I'm on the verge of quitting OLTL. I"m hanging on onyl because of Trevor St. John and if he leaves, so will I. Even now, I'm doing a lot of FFing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:29 am