CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Impact
Supernova
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Jason B.
9 posters

How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ?

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ? Empty How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ?

Post by Jason B. Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:10 pm

I liked gym class when I was in school. Loved playing basketball and climbing the rope. When I got to HS, I got to pick weight training class as an option and enjoyed that. But I know some people who felt like it was akin to being a witness for the defense with a hostile D.A. and jury. Just torture for them.

Should P.E. be a "required" course in school?

Thoughts?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ? Empty Re: How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ?

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm

I liked the pathetic attempt at one that mine was. I am torn on whether or not it should be required. I guess it depends. Razz
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ? Empty Re: How well did you like PE in school / Should it be a "required" course ?

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 pm

P.E. was cool. I don't like to run, but I liked playing volleyball and I liked being in the weight room. I remember in my school...there two P.E. classes held at the same time, in the same gym by two different instructors. On one side was the female softball coach and gym teach and the other side was the boys varsity and junior varsity football coach. I was in the football coach's class and I enjoyed it. He made us run, we did weight training, played basketball and whole nine while the kids in the female coach's class barely did shit. They would sit and watch us work out most of the time and sometimes they would come out to the track and run with us but trust....she didn't make them do much. Which wasn't surprising since she was big as hell and it was pretty ironic having her as a P.E. instructor and she wasn't in the best of shape. In any case, I think P.E. should definitely be a required course. Give kids some incentive to exercise and get active or do something. It was required at my school to graduate and hell, you had four years to pass the beginner's course. You didn't have to take advanced P.E. classes if you didn't want to.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm

What do you mean by required? Required as in the school has to have it or required as in you have to pass it to graduate? Because a lot of schools have it but you don't have to actually do anything, you just show up and that's good enough for them to take to graduation.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:05 am

Too many kids are inactive. PE may be the only sort of physical activity they get. It needs to be a required course.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:28 am

I loved it. Where I live... actually - I think it's the whole process - daily PE in mandatory. Kids are required to have at least 30 minutes of PE every school day. It's part of the healthy schools initiative, which included changing all vending machines so that there are only healthier choices - no pop, all choices meeting certain requirements, and so on
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Impact wrote:Too many kids are inactive. PE may be the only sort of physical activity they get. It needs to be a required course.
    If they can make it a good course, I'd say require it. But I've encountered poorly done ones that shouldn't be required. Although for some kids, it's just an excuse to finally get out of the stuffy classroom and good off, and not physical activity. I also don't like gym class containing organized sports. xD
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Impact wrote:Too many kids are inactive. PE may be the only sort of physical activity they get. It needs to be a required course.
    If they can make it a good course, I'd say require it. But I've encountered poorly done ones that shouldn't be required. Although for some kids, it's just an excuse to finally get out of the stuffy classroom and good off, and not physical activity. I also don't like gym class containing organized sports. xD
    BlackPantherGod
    BlackPantherGod
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by BlackPantherGod Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:35 am

I loathed phys ed. I don't think it should be mandatory; all it does is make the physically awkward an even bigger target to laugh at.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:44 am

Too many PE classes are about an hour of generic ball playing. At least that's how it was when I was in school. I liked it, but it's hardly educational to anyone who couldn't care less about sports. It should be mandatory, but instead of generic games of indoor volleyball, baseball and basketball, make it a weight lifting class, or something that actually teaches the properties of physical fitness.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:28 pm

It should be an elective. I hated gym class in school and got absolutely nothing out of it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:28 am