CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Impact
Shale
tmontyb
Chris
8 posters

Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status? Empty Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status?

Post by Chris Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 am

As a condition of keeping their health insurance, do you think everyone should be required to take annual HIV tests for documentation purposes every other year or so?

I ask this because last week I watched one of my NYPD Blue season DVDs, where they were interviewing a paranoid suspect/witness who wouldn't get checked out at the hospital because he didn't want to know if he possibly had any diseases.

Should people be allowed to live in deliberate ignorance when it comes to matters of health?
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status? Empty Re: Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status?

Post by tmontyb Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:20 am

If you FORCED everyone to get tested for HIV or any other diseases, we would become a police state.

Staying on topic, I think if someone suspects it, they should be tested, but if they don't want to know, it's their choice. As far as the person spreading the disease, except in rape cases, we are all responsible for protecting ourselves. That means that no matter how fine someone is or how much you're in love with someone, unless you truly know their status, you should use a condom or some other method to avoid any type of STD.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status? Empty Re: Should everyone be required to know their HIV-status?

Post by Shale Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 am

^^^ co-signs
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 am

It's more than foolish to turn a willful blind eye to what your health is. But required? No.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:28 pm

It's a good idea but I read about a person who donated blood, and took an HIV test once, and even though he didn't have it, he was notified he couldn't donate anymore because he took the test. Now I don't know if this is a one time thing or if this is procedure because I don't do either, but that's really ass backwards, if there is PROOF that the person is negative, why shouldn't they be able to give blood?
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:47 pm

Much as I think everyone should know their status, people cannot be forced to be enlightened if they'd rather keep their heads buried. For some who have engaged in a dangerous amount of unprotected sex, the fear of consequence is probably slightly eased with the idea of NO news being "good" news.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:49 pm

I think if someone suspects it, they should absolutely get tested, not only for themselves, but for sexual partners they might have in the future. It's ideal that that person would always use a condom or some other form of protection to prevent an STD, but that's not always realistic, there are going to be times when even the most responsible people are irresponsible. If someone suspects it, of course that's their choice to get tested, I don't believe people should be forced, but you have to wonder where their conscience is at because they could possibly be endangering other people's lives.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Supernova wrote:... I read about a person who donated blood, and took an HIV test once, and even though he didn't have it, he was notified he couldn't donate anymore because he took the test. ...
    There's part of this story missing. HIV tests are confidential - neither the blood banks, nor anyone else would be privy to them unless the person released that info. And, taking the test would not indicate at risk behavior, as my primary care physician asked me to take it at time of my physical. I know she did an HIV test because here in FL you need to give permission - it is not a part of regular blood testing. So it sounds like confidentiality was broken. Was this in a small town where ppl know each other and compromise confidentiality ILLEGALLY? Yes, since HIPAA, it is illegal for medical professionals to share such info without permission.

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:...there are going to be times when even the most responsible people are irresponsible. ...
    Yep! blushing

I, AIDS Instructor and Condom Use Advocate, did a foolish thing in the heat of the moment. But, I did get tested and took precautions for the 3-month window period.

Last edited by Shale on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    (Oh!) Rob Petrie
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 62

Post by (Oh!) Rob Petrie Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm

No, it should not be required. But people should do it anyway. It's free to find out, after all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:07 am