CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
CeCe
DarkOblivion
kinetic
Forgiveness Man
JM130ELM
November Avenue
Nystyle709
Marc™
stonestatic
Supernova
femme fatale
15 posters

Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ?

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ? Empty Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ?

Post by femme fatale Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:26 am

Unlike in the US, where "Hate Speech" is protected by the First Amendment, in Canada there is legislation in place that forbids people from being able to spout hate speech aimed at certain groups. They see it as the same as yelling "fire" in a crowded theather. Do you think they may be on to something, that not all "speech" (particularly the kind that is indignant at certain groups...such as women, jewish, blacks, gays, etc) should be "protected", or is our system of ALL speech being acceptable - no matter how unkind - the better way to go?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ? Empty Re: Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ?

Post by Supernova Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:38 am

It's a funny thing about free speech in America, even though we have freedom of speech, there is still what's called UNprotected speech, and it's usually the hateful, vulgar, obscene stuff, but funny you never hear that, somebody wants to say something awful, they're protected by the Constitution supposedly...but on the other hand, it's to my understanding that originally the Amendment was written so speech that encouraged or provoked violence rather than discussion wasn't to be allowed, so I don't know, the whole thing's confusing.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ? Empty Re: Should There Be Bans On Hate Speech ?

Post by stonestatic Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 am

I'm glad Hate Speech is a crime in Canada.

When the only point of spreading information is to hurt an identifiable group... There's no need for it.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:41 am

Canadian laws have a tendency to be too neutered. Hate speech is deplorable, vile and all that good....errrr, bad....stuff....but I am very uncomfortable with limitations on ANY speech, which is exactly what this is. When the government starts restricting one's speech against you, it's not long before they can restrict the speech your speech as well.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:48 am

I've always liked Canada. If I move out of this country....I'd definitely relocate there. I like their idea, but I like ours more with the establishment of the First Amendment. Cause essentially, all you're doing is talking. Fuck it, say what you want because words don't hurt....if it turns into a hate crime, then we have a problem.
    November Avenue
    November Avenue
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 2

Post by November Avenue Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:29 am

I have a freedom of speech but that doesn't give me a right to yell out "fire" in a crowded theater. Everyone certainly has a right to say whatever they like unless and until it begins to step on someone else's rights. Expressing hate against individuals or any group is not a protected right.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:35 am

I think one difference between the US and Canada is that we don't see a need to forbid by law everything we object to. We use other means when possible. And the trouble with restricting any form of speech is that the people in power determine what's restricted. What happens in Canada when some Christian loony calls for the arrest of someone who said that "The God of the Bible isn't the only God," claiming that it's hate speech against Christians?

No doubt that you'd find some sensible Canadian way to work it all out. I'm an admirer of many things about Canada, but its whole system requires people to be sane and reasonable all the time...and while there's a higher percentage in Canada than in the US of sane, reasonable people, it's not 100%, and that makes it a dangerous thing to rely on.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:41 am

The problem with banning hate speech is I don't want some government crony deciding what is and isn't hate cause I've seen how their double standards work. One group can say "I love God" and be accused of hate speech while others can shout threats of violence towards another group and for them it's merely "free speech." So no to banning "hate speech," at least in this country. If they could do it right, I'd consider it, but they can't do it right.
    kinetic
    kinetic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 19

Post by kinetic Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:47 am

Basically the US has it's rights and we Canadian have our rights. UK, Germany, France, China all have there own rights.

The moral of the story boys and girls is that when you go to another country, your rules no longer apply. You agree to follow the rules of the country that your in. If you can't then do go there. It's as simple as that.

Here in Canada, the rights of the many out weight the rights of the individual. That's just the way our country has always been. Yes, we look like Americans, we share the same culture as Americans but we play the global and rights game different then you guys. So stop saying that free speech is not fair here in Canada. These hate laws stop idiots from becoming a public disturbance. If you really want 100% total free speech for hate rhetoric, we'll give that to you...in a 6x12 cell, with 3 meals a day. We just won't give you an audience to do it in front of.
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by DarkOblivion Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am

If you silence a bigot, you legitimize their hateful speech.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

DarkOblivion wrote:If you silence a bigot, you legitimize their hateful speech.

Yep. Silencing them allows them to play the martyr/victim....or look for sneakier ways to display their bigotry. I'd rather know where someone stands upfront than to have to sit there and try to dissect their cloaked wordplay.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am

I think any kind of legislation to ban hate speech could end up going far beyond the original intent. I don't see how this wouldn't branch out into other things. It would probably be a matter of time before speaking out against government would be a crime. We would end up with a country full of people afraid to speak. There's so much potential for where it could lead. This site probably wouldn't be allowed to exist.

Hate speech is disgusting but banning it wouldn't stop the hatred itself, which is the real problem.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:18 pm

CeCe wrote:I think any kind of legislation to ban hate speech could end up going far beyond the original intent. I don't see how this wouldn't branch out into other things. It would probably be a matter of time before speaking out against government would be a crime. We would end up with a country full of people afraid to speak. There's so much potential for where it could lead. This site probably wouldn't be allowed to exist.

Hate speech is disgusting but banning it wouldn't stop the hatred itself, which is the real problem.

That's true. Putting bans on hate speech just sweeps the problem under the rug. From there the hate would just go underground, but it would still be there.
    gmruss4
    gmruss4
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by gmruss4 Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:29 pm

It should but in the US it will always be protected I am afraid by the fifth and people get to sprew as much hate as they choose to.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:01 am

Marc wrote:...Hate speech is deplorable, vile and all that good....errrr, bad....stuff....but I am very uncomfortable with limitations on ANY speech, which is exactly what this is. When the government starts restricting one's speech against you, it's not long before they can restrict the speech your speech as well.

Exactly!
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:11 am

Doesn't hate speech constitutes "disturbing the peace" at some point? Maybe not an outright ban, but if some guy is standing on the corner and being a public nuisance, then I say fine him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:56 am