Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?

Go down 
+6
Kral
tewaz1
Alan Smithee
Supernova
Nystyle709
Marc™
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? Empty
PostSubject: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 pm

That we evolved from monkey's, or single-celled organisms?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Of course. However, I wouldn't be rock solid in saying that humans are direct descendants of monkeys, but we damn sure come from the same whatever that created them. Human beings and apes/monkeys are too much alike.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:06 pm

I don't. After all, aren't ALL things supposed to evolve? Well then I would love to know how sharks have had hundreds of millions of years to evolve and STILL their brains are LITERALLY the size of a peanut, and 3/4 of it all go to its nose.

And besides, you take a look around at mankind, if we had started out as monkeys, we would STILL be monkeys. "Monkeys with really tall grass!" laughing If anything, mankind seems to be doing instead a backwards march, as if attempting to return to the apes or the facsimile thereof descendents from which they came.

Evolution is supposed to be an everlasting, on going, never ending event...but I don't think anybody really believes in another hundred million years we'll all have evolved into something new, some kind of maybe super human improvement over what we are right now. I think we're pretty much stuck as we are from now to when time ends.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:14 pm

^^^^^^ (shaking my head) LMAO!
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 1:47 pm

I couldn't resist:

Supernova wrote:
I don't. After all, aren't ALL things supposed to evolve? Well then I would love to know how sharks have had hundreds of millions of years to evolve and STILL their brains are LITERALLY the size of a peanut, and 3/4 of it all go to its nose.

LOL, one single species of animal huh? First of all, this planet is 4.5 BILLION years old. Hundred of millions of years is like an a week in geological time. And it's projected to continue orbiting around the sun, same pace and all, for another 5 BILLION years. It might take another billion for a shark's brain to get bigger. Who knows? All life comes from the ocean. A shark is a fish. It can't breathe outside of water, doesn't have legs to walk and basically doesn't have to adapt to anything outside of it's natural environment. All it needs to do is hunt and eat to survive. Which it does well. So if it's brain isn't any bigger, that's because it doesn't need to be. Evolution has been proven to not only come about biochemically but also from the need for something. How exactly do you think human beings evolved? I would love to hear this.

And besides, you take a look around at mankind, if we had started out as monkeys, we would STILL be monkeys. "Monkeys with really tall grass!" laughing If anything, mankind seems to be doing instead a backwards march, as if attempting to return to the apes or the facsimile thereof descendents from which they came.

If you take a human today (especially a white man) and put him in a cave for 3 months, when he walks out...he'll resemble a gorilla. You fail to see it now because we as humans groom ourselves. The traditional homo sapien didn't look too much different that an ape. Now, I won't be rock solid in saying we come directly from apes but they are the only species other than humans who have opposable thumbs. We have the same territorial characteristics. Our characteristics are too uncanny. We definitely have a common denominator.

Evolution is supposed to be an everlasting, on going, never ending event...

Who says it's not? Who says humans and other creatures aren't evolving right now as we speak? Gimme a break.

but I don't think anybody really believes in another hundred million years we'll all have evolved into something new, some kind of maybe super human improvement over what we are right now. I think we're pretty much stuck as we are from now to when time ends.

Due to your limited thinking. For someone who supposedly 'reads' so much, I find that very interesting to believe. First of all, the modern human is only 200,000 years old. If you were to calculate the time that this Earth has existed into one calendar year, humans didn't walk on this Earth until 11:59 p.m. on December 31st. Of course we're going to evolve into something else. Science proves that. Another hundred million years, prob. not, but like I said, this Earth has another 5 BILLION years to rotate. That's a pretty long time dear. And I'm pretty sure you won't be hear to witness it.

Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 11:26 pm

Of course I believe in evolution. And it doesn't say that humans evolved from monkeys. The science of human evolution asserts that apes and humans share a common ancestor.
Back to top Go down
tewaz1
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
tewaz1

Male
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:04 am

What does belief have to do with anything? Certainly, what we believe has all of zero impact on reality.
The fundamental precept of evolution is that over time organisms have diverged in response to environmental stimuli, eventually diverging so dramatically as to no longer be able to interbreed amongst each other.
This is an empirical question. It is being observed as we speak in the darwinian finches, as well as some hookbills. Just watch a population of fruit flies for a month. You'll see speciation on multiple levels.
On the other hand, what people think of as evolution, man coming from monkeys, is just silly. Humans are monkeys by the very phenotypic, and now, genotypic definition that WE MADE UP. It's all an arbitrary unit of measure that we made so that we can classify animals by shared traits, and now, by similar genetics.
See, no belief required, no debate.
We can debate the implications if we want, though.
Back to top Go down
Kral
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Kral

Female
Rep : 30

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 am

I completely believe in Darwin's theory of man moreso than the Bible's theory of Adam and Eve.
Back to top Go down
tewaz1
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
tewaz1

Male
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 1:59 am

Supernova wrote:

And besides, you take a look around at mankind, if we had started out as monkeys, we would STILL be monkeys.

Um...we are still monkeys, by the very definition. Well, apes, in particular. We made up the definition, and we fall squarely into it.

Supernova wrote:
If anything, mankind seems to be doing instead a backwards march, as if attempting to return to the apes or the facsimile thereof descendents from which they came.

lol I couldn't agree more there!

Supernova wrote:
Evolution is supposed to be an everlasting, on going, never ending event...but I don't think anybody really believes in another hundred million years we'll all have evolved into something new, some kind of maybe super human improvement over what we are right now. I think we're pretty much stuck as we are from now to when time ends.
Humans are constantly changing, as are all living things. Humans have extremely long lives, relatively, so it isn't as obvious, but our physiological structure is significantly different today than it was even a few hundred years ago. Animals with shorter lifespans, however, such as birds and insects, we can watch changing as a population, even within a single human lifespan in some cases.
Back to top Go down
RiteDiva
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
RiteDiva

Female
Rep : 8

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 9:58 am

I'm more in favor of creation (the Bible) over evolution.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm

I find evolution to be scientific guesswork at best, at least the Darwinian 'theory of evolution' that makes the "common ancestor" claims. It frankly strikes me as something requiring much more faith than "Adam and Eve" and seems to be much more in line with "seeing what you want to see" than any Biblical belief.

So no, I don't believe in evolution. I stick to science and reason. Razz
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 2:15 pm

No. Because if humans evolved from monkeys or apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes around? Shouldn't they all be humans too? It doesn't make any sense.

The idea behind human evolution is that humans, apes and various primates all shared a common ancestor, and that they evolved along different evolutionary paths. That is logical when you look at the similarity in our chromosomes and DNA. But every living thing on earth also shares DNA in common, so if we just went by that the we should also assume that evolved from a single celled organism. But if that's the case, then what spawned these vastly different paths of evolution?

What chain of events was significant enough to cause us to evolve so far ahead of all the other apes? And if these events were so significant, then why did the other apes survive? Evolution is a response to random mutations and adaptations to the environment. When animals evolve, the mutations allow certain animals to survive conditions other members of the species cannot. In such cases, only the animals with the adaptations survive to pass their genes along to the next generation and the others die out. This is how a species "evoloves" in theory. In the case of humans and apes, if we evolved from them into the dominant species on the planet, there must have been some reason for that evolution that would have also wiped out the apes that were unable to adapt to the conditions that humans could adapt to. Opposable thumbs, a larger brain, the ability to speak, the ability to walk completely upright, etc. We "evolved" these things because they must have been necessary at some point, otherwise we would still be apes.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 12:30 am

You have some of the facts right on the mechanics of how evolution works but too many extrapolations that are not necessary. When a mutation occurs that is beneficial the animal survives, breeds and perhaps passes on that mutation. (Mutations happen the other way too and those animals die and don't breed) Now remember we are not talking about one bad winter where the hairy animals lived and those without died off. We are talking millions of years and usually a gradual progression of mutations that make changes in a species.

And the improving species does not mean that the norm species it came from has to die out. It means that it now has the skills to survive better in a changing environment. Then we get into all the suppositions of why we humans as a species came to be the way we are with our improvements - standing erect on two legs, opposable thumb for better hand dexterity and a larger brain. These set us on the path to do things that our forebears could not, but some of that forebear species would go on in there limited environment somewhere on this big planet of ours.

And, as for that shark that has remained almost unchanged for millions of years - it was perhaps made perfect for its environment from the beginning. There was no need to evolve into anything else. It's small brain is quite sufficient to locate a little blood in the water and eat the surfer.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? EmptySat Oct 16, 2010 2:04 am

Shale wrote:
And the improving species does not mean that the norm species it came from has to die out. It means that it now has the skills to survive better in a changing environment. Then we get into all the suppositions of why we humans as a species came to be the way we are with our improvements - standing erect on two legs, opposable thumb for better hand dexterity and a larger brain. These set us on the path to do things that our forebears could not, but some of that forebear species would go on in there limited environment somewhere on this big planet of ours.
Humans are more "evolved" than the Neanderthals were and we survived but they (all of them everywhere on the planet) went extinct! But if they went extinct, then why did other less evolved great apes survive?

The theory of evolution is of course very interesting and as always very inflammatory. It may be true, then again it may not! I think the truth lies somewhere inbetween the facts that we do know and many more unknowns that we'll never have the answers to. I enjoy debating about contraversial topics because I always tend to learn things I never considered before. In any case, I don't put much stock into theories in general because until there are no reasonable doubts left (and theory becomes fact) its likely not going to change my perspective on life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?   Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do You Believe in the Theory of Evolution?
Page 1 of 1