Do you trust scientific theory? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you trust scientific theory?

Go down 
+4
Tony Marino
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Do you trust scientific theory? Empty
PostSubject: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 6:28 am

When scientists make conclusions (especially if it stands in contrast to a previously held popular belief) about historical figures, medications, the planets, etc., etc., do you easily trust their theories?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 8:50 am

Eh, I have become skeptical of what scientists have to say given how bias has crept into the industry and has turned it into a political tactic instead of a learning tool.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 9:55 am

I remain a skeptic, let's not forget a while back scientists believed they found Jesus' remains, which of course they were not, then thought they found Joan of Arc's finger, and again it was not, and I knew both times it wouldn't be but the experts couldn't get that.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am

^^^^I think Science is worthwhile. It's scientists who create problems. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:00 am

Not all the time no.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 11:33 am

I believe in the scientific method, which makes a hypothesis then sees if the physical evidence supports or disproves that.

Science does not have the luxury of religions, which rely on blind acceptance of something based on faith. Religionists do not get this when trying to denigrate science for not having all the answers.

Science has a higher standard of proof. And that proof is always being challenged. It is an evolutionary process of continued knowledge.

Which brings us to the current dilemma. Some scientists think they have found subatomic particles that travel faster than the speed of light. IF true (other scientists are at this moment studying this find and trying to duplicate it to see if it is correct) it will upset all our knowledge of the workings of the universe and physics as we know it as postulated by Albert Einstein in the beginning of the last century with his theory of relativity - E=MC
2, which 'C' was the constant speed limit of light). But if that is the case then current physicists will just have to figure out how Einstein was wrong and what the new answer is to this big problem.

Supernova wrote:
I remain a skeptic, let's not forget a while back scientists believed they found Jesus' remains, which of course they were not, then thought they found Joan of Arc's finger, and again it was not, and I knew both times it wouldn't be but the experts couldn't get that.

I am not familiar with these 'findings' but curious as to how you 'knew.' Did you have information that the 'scientists' did not? These were likely archeologists who were working on a supposition and further research proved their hypotheses wrong. That is the scientific method. Everything is dependent on further evidence to prove or disprove an earlier supposition.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Only a fool wouldnt trust something that has been proven. For the most part....when its clear and concrete proof....I do.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:09 pm

I blindly follow anything someone in a lab coat has to say.
Back to top Go down
Bluesmama
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Bluesmama

Female
Rep : 43

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:12 pm

No. I am very skeptic. Much of it, to me, is just theoretic, and it bothers me that science likes to present itself as concrete evidence. But I have theories of my own and those are the ones I stick to until I'm proven otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Bluesmama wrote:
No. I am very skeptic. Much of it, to me, is just theoretic, and it bothers me that science likes to present itself as concrete evidence. But I have theories of my own and those are the ones I stick to until I'm proven otherwise.

See this is the thing, some people blindly believe if it's science, it's fact, also let's not forget that just recently they came out and said there is no triceratops and we spent how many years believing there was based on what science found?
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Supernova wrote:
See this is the thing, some people blindly believe if it's science, it's fact, ...

Did you not read my comments in post #6?

Science and scientific theory are ongoing processes. No one except the uninformed non-scientist believes anything blindly as 'science' which is merely a field of study not an absolute statement of 'fact' fixed in stone.

Speaking of which:

Supernova wrote:
also let's not forget that just recently they came out and said there is no triceratops and we spent how many years believing there was based on what science found?

I was not familiar with this so did a quick search.

“… Paleontologists at the Montana State University argue that the Triceratops and his kissing cousin, the Torosaurus, were actually the same dinosaur at different stages of growth. Their findings, published in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, say that this case of mistaken prehistoric identity is quite understandable, given that the skulls of young dinosaurs underwent extensive changes as the animals got older.

"Paleontologists are at a disadvantage because we can't go out into the field and observe a living Triceratops grow up from a baby to an adult," John Scannella, one of the co-authors of the study told the Montana State University news service. "We have to put together the story based on fossils. In order to get the complete story, you need to have a large sample of fossils from many individuals representing different growth stages." …

What it looks like is a misnomer of the fossils that they have. They thot there were two species of similar animal when it MAY actually be an immature version of the same animal.

This is not just in paleontology. Here in South Florida we have these huge philodendrons which were once thot to be a different species from what you may have in a pot up north called 'Devils Ivy" or scindapsis. Yep, the little-leaved plant you have growing by your window, when it lives for years in its native outdoors will create foot long leaves with holes in them.

However, this all brings us back to "science." which is the ongoing process of study of things with a scientific method of weighing new facts to come to a logical conclusion. It is working, but it is not finished, so don't get too attached to what you think is a conclusive 'fact' when in fact it is just the knowledge of the moment.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you trust scientific theory?   Do you trust scientific theory? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you trust scientific theory?
Page 1 of 1