Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine

Go down 
+2
JeanMerc82
Supernova
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine Empty
PostSubject: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 1:50 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/?GT1=43001

Quote :
Firefighters in rural Tennessee let a home burn to the ground last week because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 fee.

Gene Cranick of Obion County and his family lost all of their possessions in the Sept. 29 fire, along with three dogs and a cat.

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC's Keith Olbermann.

The fire started when the Cranicks' grandson was burning trash near the family home. As it grew out of control, the Cranicks called 911, but the fire department from the nearby city of South Fulton would not respond.

"We wasn't on their list," he said the operators told him.

Cranick, who lives outside the city limits, admits he "forgot" to pay the annual $75 fee. The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

Cranick says he told the operator he would pay whatever is necessary to have the fire put out.

His offer wasn't accepted, he said.

The fire fee policy dates back 20 or so years.

"Anybody that's not inside the city limits of South Fulton, it's a service we offer. Either they accept it or they don't," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.

Firefighters did eventually show up, but only to fight the fire on the neighboring property, whose owner had paid the fee.

"They put water out on the fence line out here. They never said nothing to me. Never acknowledged. They stood out here and watched it burn," Cranick said.

South Fulton's mayor said that the fire department can't let homeowners pay the fee on the spot, because the only people who would pay would be those whose homes are on fire.

Cranick, who is now living in a trailer on his property, says his insurance policy will help cover some of his lost home.

"Insurance is going to pay for what money I had on the policy, looks like. But like everything else, I didn't have enough."

After the blaze, South Fulton police arrested one of Cranick's sons, Timothy Allen Cranick, on an aggravated assault charge, according to WPSD-TV, an NBC station in Paducah, Ky.

Police told WPSD that the younger Cranick attacked Fire Chief David Wilds at the firehouse because he was upset his father's house was allowed to burn.

WPSD-TV reported that Wilds was treated and released.

What's next? Are police going to start charging victims for coming out to arrest murderers? Is the fire department deliberately TRYING to make itself as hated a target as the police or what?
Back to top Go down
JeanMerc82
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
JeanMerc82

Female
Rep : 4

Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:37 pm

The Fire Department's job is to put out fire and rescue those who are inside that can't get out even if they payed the fee or not! Makes you wonder if this is not the first time that this happened? They are a bunch of ASS*****!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Amen to that. Now some idiots are on the side with the firemen, 'he should've paid the $75, it's his own fault they died'. Oh really...how do you divide $75 among HOW many firemen, then figure in the cost of the gas or the fuel to drive out there and the water to put it out? What's that going to come to, $8.12 or something a fireman? Is their yearly income for the whole damn department $500 or something that they absolutely MUST get $75 before they do their job?
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 8:14 pm

That whole department needs to be fired and have their asses handed to them. I can't even fathom why they would even think that was acceptable. What if someone died in that fire? There is no way to justify someone losing their life over $75.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Indeeeed, I can't believe people justify this, 'you're supposed to pay a fee, if you don't, oh well'. I know that's how doctors do 'no money? No insurance, then you can just die *unplug*', and for some reason people think that's acceptable. But if the police started saying 'If you want me to arrest the guy who threatened to kill your children, you need to give me $100 for the services', there would be a public outrage, riots, everything...but firemen do it, they say 'your life isn't worth it if we don't get a few bucks', and people think that's alright?

Kind of reminds me of that movie Repo Men, I didn't see it but I remember it, it's all part of the job, it doesn't matter who dies or how many lives are ruined, until YOU'RE the one who can't pay.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm

This is a regrettable story, especially for the innocent pets that died a horrific death. However, this system is not new and it is the one in place in their community and the ppl should have paid the $75 insurance against the possibility of them needing the service.

This was the system in the 19th century almost everywhere there was a fire department not supported by the government.

Now, someone has preemptively called me an idiot for supporting the firemen's position, but what is the alternative.

No, $75 is not a lot of money and wouldn't begin to cover the expense of responding to that fire. That is why it is called an insurance, the collective premiums of EVERYONE supports the fire department, pays for the equipment and gas and the salaries of the men who mostly hang out waiting for an emergency. If everyone wanted to hold out and pay $75 if they had a fire, there would be no way to sustain that fire service. So, I suspect a lot of ppl who thot the fire department was required to put out their fires for free may now pay up and support it.

Oh, how do you fire a department that has never been hired? Yes, there is no way to justify someone losing their life over $75 dollars, which is why the homeowners should have paid into the system.

Now the system may be flawed. The county shoud impose a homeowner fire cost to everyone and make them pay. Sort of a special tax for fire protection. So don't blame the fire department for following the rules when the cheapskates neglected to play by the rules.

Just an opinion of an "idiot."
Back to top Go down
JeanMerc82
…is an Up 'N Comer.
…is an Up 'N Comer.
JeanMerc82

Female
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 10:56 pm

We don't know the reason why Mr. Cranick forgot to pay? If one of those firefighters has their house burning, i will be sitting on a chair on the street eating popcorn enjoying the view!!! :biggrin:
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyTue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Supernova wrote:
Indeeeed, I can't believe people justify this, 'you're supposed to pay a fee, if you don't, oh well'. I know that's how doctors do 'no money? No insurance, then you can just die *unplug*', and for some reason people think that's acceptable. But if the police started saying 'If you want me to arrest the guy who threatened to kill your children, you need to give me $100 for the services', there would be a public outrage, riots, everything...but firemen do it, they say 'your life isn't worth it if we don't get a few bucks', and people think that's alright?

Kind of reminds me of that movie Repo Men, I didn't see it but I remember it, it's all part of the job, it doesn't matter who dies or how many lives are ruined, until YOU'RE the one who can't pay.

I shit you not I was going to post this tag line on the "Can you name this movie?" thread:

"A repo man is always intense... but only a fool gets killed for a car."

I'm just glad it wasn't four people instead of four pets who died. Regardless of what the Cranicks should have done, this is bad PR for the South Fulton FD
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 1:13 am

alan smithee wrote:

I shit you not I was going to post this tag line on the "Can you name this movie?" thread:

"A repo man is always intense... but only a fool gets killed for a car."

LMAO! That's kind of funny, though I meant that one that came out a couple years ago, where the repo men take back vital organs that their recipients haven't paid the multi-hundred thousand dollar payments on.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 am

I didn't notice you said Repo Men, not Repo Man. Didn't men come out this year?
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 11:26 am

Shale, I agree with you 100%. The article stated: The county does not have a county-wide firefighting service, but South Fulton offers fire coverage to rural residents for a fee.

People who live within city limits pay a higher property tax in part due to services afforded them. Any rural area residents who do not have that service included, need to make it a priority to have it paid.

As soon as Fulton responds to calls to residents who have not paid, that information will spread and people will know it is just a fluff fee and it will not be paid by a lot of people because they know that the chances of them needing the fire department are slim, so they are just going to roll with not paying because even if they don't pay, the department still has their back.

The end result after years of "not paid" homes grow in number will be that they will cease coverage in that area completely. And then, the people who could not muster a mere $75 a year will have their own taxes raised like crazy to accommodate a volunteer fire department to be set up for the county.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 1:53 pm

alan smithee wrote:
I didn't notice you said Repo Men, not Repo Man. Didn't men come out this year?

Who remembers? To me all these new 'action' movies all blur together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine   Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine Empty

Back to top Go down

Fire department lets house burn down and pets die because they didn't get a $75 fine
Page 1 of 1