CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Chris
SecHandNews
SkwirtB
RedBedroom
8 posters

Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed Empty Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:48 pm

For light reading, I do enjoy a good celeb tell all. Oddly, my favorite was Richard Simmon's. I am not a fan, but found the peek into his story to be very interesting. I have really liked both of Tori Spelling's books, and currently have her mother's checked out from the library, so it should be interesting to see if it is a book that was penned just to counter all the negative things Tori said in her book.

I just finished Jodi Sweetin's (Full House) "Unsweetened" and really enjoyed it. Certainly, the book is a testament to how hard it is to kick a drug/alcohol addiction.

So, what memoirs have all of you enjoyed?
    SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed Empty Re: Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed

Post by SkwirtB Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Margaret Maldonado Jackson's "Jackson Family Values" was a good one. She was Jermaine Jackson's ex-wife, and in the book told about the craziness of the Jackson family, but at the same time she was also willing to put herself on blast for her stupid mistakes too. In it, she describes Jermaine as a philanderer, a bully, a liar and a wannabe. She talks about Joe, but doesn't say anything about him that the public didn't already know. But she describes Katherine Jackson as the real piece of work here, basically a Jekyll & Hyde who lovingly embraces people, and then talks about then like a dog behind their back. She doesn't say anything negative about Michael and Janet, or most of the Jackson siblings.

Definitely a good book. The stories aren't nice, but I didn't get the feeling that she was lying or embellishing anything.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I will have to see if our library has that. It does sound very good, especially since your opinion is that she was being honest.

I recall reading Tatum O'Neils book, Paper Moon, and while I enjoyed it, I feel that she probably embellished in some spots.
    SkwirtB
    SkwirtB
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by SkwirtB Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:16 am

Yeah I'd definitely recommend it. It's a real page turner.
    SecHandNews
    SecHandNews
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by SecHandNews Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:33 am

Though not a celebrity, I really enjoyed IT DOESN'T TAKE A HERO. The autobiography of General Norman Schwarzkopf.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:04 am

Good thread Red. Hey, that rhymed. Anyway...

Celebrity Memoirs You Enjoyed Hollybk
    "One Life" by Ellen Holly is an excellent read. Ellen Holly is an actress, who is famous for her role on One Life to Live in the 1960s and 70s. In the book, she talks about the discrimination she faced as an actress of color during the 1950s and 1960s. She also talked about the backstage politics of OLTL, and the harrowingly callous way she was routinely treated by the shows producers. At times she comes off as rather bitter and jaded (perhaps even slightly misguided in her perception of certain things), but her accounts are so raw and compelling that you can understand why she'd be defensive. Her book is spellbinding, leaves you on the verge of being outraged on her behalf, and is ultimately very sad.

I really tend to be leery of memoirs written by people under 30, or who're still at the height of their fame, because they still have an image to protect. A good example of this is "I Make My Own Rules," the autobiography of L.L. Cool J., which was written about 12 years ago. In it, you get the feeling that he's holding a lot back and is probably deliberately glossing over some things to protect his image. In the end, it really came off like a vanity piece, despite trying to present itself as being 'candid.'
    SecHandNews
    SecHandNews
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 7

Post by SecHandNews Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I haven't yet gotten to read EH's book, but it's been talked about extensively at various soap message boards and just from what I gathered, it does sound like a sad book of outrageous abuse and mistreatment she had to suffer at the hands of ABC and OLTL. Seems like she had a real ally in Agnes Nixon at OLTL, but after AN left for AMC, EH no longer had a cheerleader who respected her character or valued her contribution. Her overview is so unfortunate, but the story is probably one that every aspiring actress (no matter what color) should read.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 am

I haven't read any recently, but I wanna pick up that one by Mackenzie Phillips.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Chris, One Life does sound good. I don't watch that show, but would probably like the book. I watch Bold and the Beautiful and LOVED Hunter Tylo's book...Loved her memoir, not a huge fan of her...
    MFD10
    MFD10
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by MFD10 Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 pm

The current one I'm reading is "Madam Secretary". It's the story of Madaliene Albright. I found it fascinating, she has a perspective on world events and leaders that most people will never see. There is a picture Yasser Arafat watching her grandson practicing diving, we don't think of world leaders as having lives.
    Alden
    Alden
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Alden Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Dylan's autobiography (if you can even call it that) is indeed a great, if somewhat haphazard, read. As is Johnny Cash's. Stay away from Miles Davis', though; it took me months to be able to listen to his music with the same enjoyment again after I finished it. How could such a bitter man make such amazing music?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:12 am

bump
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:15 am

Hey Chris, how about bumping this over to the book chamber?

And to answer: Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn, I loved that book...come to think of it, I think that was the only AUTObiography I've read, I've read plenty of bios, though I started on Frank Capbra's autobio once but never got around to finishing it.

Oops, I forgot one, and this one's a real doozy, Leo Gorcey's Dead End Yells and Wedding Bells and Cockle Shells and Dizzy Spells. How I could forget that one is beyond me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:42 am