CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Shale
JJacksongurlSince97
Supernova
Kral
8 posters

Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit

Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit Empty Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit

Post by Kral Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

A friend's cousin recently delivered a stillborn baby.

The family decided to have a big funeral.

They posted a pic of the dead baby in the newspaper.

My friend was venting to me about how a co-worker asked why that was done. She saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I, however, found the pic to be "inappropriate". I've never seen or heard of a pic of a miscarried baby being published in the newspaper before. She said it just looked as if the baby was asleep (trust, I wasn't going to look it up) and that some people may have wanted to know what it looked like. I said, "Well, then, they could've gone to the funeral. Or, she could've sent pics to those individuals."

Am I insensitive or missing something here? I've never miscarried or had a still birth, and the people I know who did didn't even write an obit as far as I can remember. I've definitely never heard of having a pic of a stillborn baby in the paper.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit Empty Re: Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit

Post by Supernova Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:58 pm

About the only thing that can even come to my mind after hearing something like that is...WHY?
    JJacksongurlSince97
    JJacksongurlSince97
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit Empty Re: Posting a Photo of a Stillborn Baby in the Obit

Post by JJacksongurlSince97 Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't think that you are being insensitive. I don't think I'd want to see a dead baby in the newspaper either.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 pm

It seems strange and morbid, but it is a 19th Century custom.

I have seen old fotos of distant relatives, some in the early 20th Century who died at birth (quite common then) and they dressed them in little white lacy dresses and took their pic. (in fact with the long exposure time it was some of the few baby pics that weren't blurred). However, I thought it went out of vogue in more recent times.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm

People really are not thinking very clearly upon something like that happening. I don't think it is a very good idea. I understand taking personal photos and keeping them, but not having them published with the obit.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:15 pm

RedBedroom wrote:People really are not thinking very clearly upon something like that happening. I don't think it is a very good idea. I understand taking personal photos and keeping them, but not having them published with the obit.

hijack

HI RED!!!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi Tony!! big grin
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:28 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Hi Tony!! big grin

Back to the Grind for 3 days now, UGH!!!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:30 pm

I was wondering about that just a couple days ago, if you were close to going back. Well, I am sure there are more plusses than minuses to getting back to the grind!

Just be careful and don't over-do it!!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I was wondering about that just a couple days ago, if you were close to going back. Well, I am sure there are more plusses than minuses to getting back to the grind!

Just be careful and don't over-do it!!

Yep I will be getting a paycheck again, YAY!!! Its not so bad, I take my time and try not to stress the ankle too much. I still go to PT 3 times a week!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:40 pm

Kral wrote:A friend's cousin recently delivered a stillborn baby.

The family decided to have a big funeral.

They posted a pic of the dead baby in the newspaper.

My friend was venting to me about how a co-worker asked why that was done. She saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I, however, found the pic to be "inappropriate". I've never seen or heard of a pic of a miscarried baby being published in the newspaper before. She said it just looked as if the baby was asleep (trust, I wasn't going to look it up) and that some people may have wanted to know what it looked like. I said, "Well, then, they could've gone to the funeral. Or, she could've sent pics to those individuals."

Am I insensitive or missing something here? I've never miscarried or had a still birth, and the people I know who did didn't even write an obit as far as I can remember. I've definitely never heard of having a pic of a stillborn baby in the paper.

Your friends cousin is tactless. Publishing pictures of corpses in a newspaper is offensive.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Oh, wow that is still a lot of PT. Horray for the paycheck! Good for you!!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male

Post by Tony Marino Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Oh, wow that is still a lot of PT. Horray for the paycheck! Good for you!!

Thanks!! My foot is still swollen so thats why I still go for Pt. Ill be heading home in a few on mass transit, thats the worst part of the day! Have a great evening!
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:46 am

Putting a picture of a corpse in the paper is creepy. It's one thing to share those pictures with family but to post a pic along with an obit? It's not something I'd want to see.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:56 pm