CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
Tony Marino
stonestatic
Chris
RedBedroom
Shale
Kral
Alan Smithee
GrayWolf
12 posters

Do You Observe Your Ethnic Roots?

GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Do You Observe Your Ethnic Roots? Empty Do You Observe Your Ethnic Roots?

Post by GrayWolf Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm assuming everyone here is American and at least one generation away from their ethnic "homeland" or "homelands". I'm just wondering growing up how much did the cultural and ethnic traditions (food, language, religious holidays) of your family's original lineage play a part in your house? Today do you do anything to celebrate or observe it?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Do You Observe Your Ethnic Roots? Empty Re: Do You Observe Your Ethnic Roots?

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Not one bit.
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:58 pm

Not really. Neutral
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:17 am

Nope.

I was raised in St. Louis and the only ethnic connection I can think of from the old country is Mississippi Redneck. My brother is still in the old country and pretty much a good-ol-boy, but I am here in Miami Beach continuing my urbane ways.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:09 am

Nope
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:55 am

Noooooootttttt really. I know a wee bit of French from my mom's side, but not enough to have a conversation. Staying home on MLK day, and having a fondness for ribs, doesn't have that much to do with African culture from my dad's end.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 am

Can't say that I do. My family is pretty westernized and WASP-y. We lost out culture centuries ago.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 am

I am Italian American, my parents both spoke Italian and we grew up with all the the old world Italian traditions. We ate Italian/American, we never ate meat on Wednesdays or Friday's Christmas Eve and New Years Eve was always a big fish dinner and we always had a big pasta dinner on Sunday's. We observed all the religious holidays and went to church every sunday. Now I still continue with a lot of the old Italian traditions as does my family but I don't go to church every sunday anymore. It was a trip growing up in a big Italian family.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:22 am

Tony Marino wrote:I am Italian American,...
    No Way! Really?
    Tony Marino wrote:It was a trip growing up in a big Italian family.
    Any loud, passionate family "discussions?"

When I was a kid in North St. Louis, the Bomaritos lived across the street and had a bakery in the same building downstairs. This was before TV so our entertainment was the occasional Bomarito family fights. Of course we didn't understand Italian but tone and inflection let us know who was mad at whom.

One of my first great eating experiences was when one of the Bomarito girls was baby sitting us. They gave us fresh Italian bread with butter on it. I lived in a Wonder Bread culture and still remember the taste in my mouth from real bread.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 am

Yes I do. big grin Maybe not all the time, but fairly often now that I think about it. Smile
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 am

I watch Boondocks, if that counts.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:20 am

Wow I'm surprised more people don't practice at least some of their heritage traditions. I grew up with two former hippy parents who were both 2nd generation (both sets of my grandparents were immigrants). They weren't overbearing about enforcing cultural rituals on us, but regularly observed a number of them and casually instilled them into the home. We recognized Cinco De Mayo and Oktoberfest.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:19 am

Shale wrote:
    No Way! Really?

Any loud, passionate family "discussions?"

When I was a kid in North St. Louis, the Bomaritos lived across the street and had a bakery in the same building downstairs. This was before TV so our entertainment was the occasional Bomarito family fights. Of course we didn't understand Italian but tone and inflection let us know who was mad at whom.

One of my first great eating experiences was when one of the Bomarito girls was baby sitting us. They gave us fresh Italian bread with butter on it. I lived in a Wonder Bread culture and still remember the taste in my mouth from real bread.

We would argue and fight when my father was not around but if he was, we didn't dare make a sound.

RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:36 am

Not really which surprises a lot of people. My mom is Italian and my dad is Arab, but culturally I'm pretty whitewashed. Some of my mom's family is "traditionally Italian" but she was never heavy into Italian tradition and their catholic religion, so she didn't pass that onto me. My dad's family is VERY traditional, but I never really bonded with them that much so most of my observance of that came more from just living around a big community of middle eastern people and having friends than me having that kinship with the family. I can speak a little Italian and a little Arab, but I'm not fluent.
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Ghost1P Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:44 am

GrayWolf wrote:I'm assuming everyone here is American and at least one generation away from their ethnic "homeland" or "homelands".
    This is an invalid assumption. I'd be interested in knowing what lead you to this. One Generation away???

To answer the question. My GREAT grand mother used to to use kids to the reservation...and as a child I really enjoyed it, and I started to grow older and feel how much we were looked at and unwelcome....I stopped. But it was my Great Great-Grand mother so I was only connected as a child

I do however celebrate my African-American Irish roots, but not for the sake of being Irish. I'm a dark brown skinned brutha and walking around talking about "I'm Irish" is silly to me. My grand mother and grandfather were married in New Jersey in the early 50s. I celebrate this because it was a very turbulent time in are American history and the courage it took to create their union is to be celebrated.

...and when people say something similar to "I'm party India, German, Irish, Black, Creo" (etc)......I want to choke them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 6:32 am