CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Chris
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Supernova
8 posters

Could a movie role be cursed?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Could a movie role be cursed? Empty Could a movie role be cursed?

Post by Supernova Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 am

You hear about movies that are supposedly cursed because awful things happened to the actors (e.g. Poltergeist, Superman), and then there are movies that if they're not cursed, you could fool me about it, (The Omen), but what about a movie role?

I was reading the other day that when a screenplay had been written about actor Fatty Arbuckle's life, it was offered to John Belushi, and he died shortly afterwards, and then years later it was offered to John Candy, and he also died, and then later it was offered to Chris Farley, and he died as well. And these three actors/comedians, my mother and I always talk about them as if they're connected in some way, because their lives and especially their deaths seem to have much in common, and how weird is that, that they were all offered this role, and all died shortly afterwards? And Chris Farley and John Belushi died the same way at the same age, that especially I think is very weird.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Could a movie role be cursed? Empty Re: Could a movie role be cursed?

Post by RedBedroom Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:14 pm

Well, if somebody believes that a movie can be cursed, why not a role?

I did not know that about the three actors being offered a role, but it is not as if it was a role offered to three different healthy athletic men. I don't know if Candy did drugs/excessive alcohol, but the Farley and Belushi sure did not live healthy in any aspect of their life.

I don't know if I believe in things being "cursed". I think that in life there are so many interactions and connections that some of these just have bad things happen within them, which may seem like a curse if enough bad happens.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

I don't believe in curses. Except for "shit", "fuck", etc. Coincidence maybe, but not curses. Especially when Belushi and Farley’s deaths were self inflicted. Candy too for that matter. Imagine the world’s surprise when a 300 pounder who smoked dies of a heart attach. Even if they each died under “eerie” circumstances…coincidence.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:12 pm

That might be, but I was checking and found out that the same role was also offered to Sam Kinison (to anybody who remembers "Back to School", Professor AHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!), and he also died in his late 30s, and yes, he also drank and did drugs, but his death was not an overdose or heart attack, he was hit by a drunk driver. So maybe coincidence, but 4 guys are all offered the same role and all die shortly afterwards and for the most part by very different causes of death, it makes you wonder. Almost makes you think that maybe Roscoe doesn't want anybody portraying him. Supposedly, after Chris Farley's death, the script was shelved indefinitely, so I guess nobody else wants to chance touching it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Well, if a person believes in curses, then this probably makes a pretty good case. I just don't believe in them, and think that it is all coincidence.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:51 am

I don't think a movie role can be cursed, but I do suspect that certain roles may call for certain types of actors, with certain types of personalities that may (or may not) be destructive.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:52 am

^^^^^I agree. I think a lot of curses are likely just a mix of coincidence and self-destructive factors.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:03 pm

If you're the type who believes in "curses" to begin with I suppose. Alas, I'm not one of them. People still think that any actor who plays "Superman" is ultimately cursed. Nonsense I tell ya, NONSENSE!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 pm

I heard about the "SNL curse."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Nope.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:37 am