CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
Chris
JM130ELM
Tony Marino
Supernova
RedBedroom
10 posters

How safe do you think American schools are?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

How safe do you think American schools are? Empty How safe do you think American schools are?

Post by RedBedroom Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:05 pm

The group here is so diverse that I am interested to see what you think, parents and non parents.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

How safe do you think American schools are? Empty Re: How safe do you think American schools are?

Post by Supernova Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 pm

In my opinion? Not very. Even at the ones that DO have metal detectors and in some cases armed guards, nuts still get in, and then what? Lockdown, everybody is trapped inside the building, and what if you already have a psycho in there with you? My mother went to school during the Cuban Missile Crisis and told how they used to be locked in the school even back then, which poses the question what if they had to get out and couldn't? What good did it do treating them like prisoners then?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

How safe do you think American schools are? Empty Re: How safe do you think American schools are?

Post by Tony Marino Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:13 pm

I don't think anywhere you might go is safe, a movie theatre, a shopping mall, walking down the block, no matter where you go there is always a potential danger of something happening but you can't live your life worrying about that or you will never leave your house.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

Post by JM130ELM Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:16 pm

It largely hinges on how safe the overall area is. If the community is one of hard living adults, and abusive, absentee or negligent parents, then the school(s) in the community are gonna reflect it.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:42 am

JM130ELM wrote:It largely hinges on how safe the overall area is. If the community is one of hard living adults, and abusive, absentee or negligent parents, then the school(s) in the community are gonna reflect it.

Agreed. Schools are a product of their surrounding community. If the area overall is one that lacks care, and is home to a bunch of apathy and rift-raft, then the schools will be too. The same kids being neglected by their parents are the same kids who walk that area's school halls.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:52 am

Just as 'safe' as anywhere else. Like JM, the schools reflect the community.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am

I guess we need to define "safe." lol
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:32 pm

That depends on your demographic. If you happen to be and openly gay teenager, apparently it's not very safe at all!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:22 pm

They can be a lot better of course, but I'm not cynical and paranoid about them all....because before you can ask how safe American schools are, first you gotta ask about the safety of the streets, neighborhoods, malls, etc.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

I feel like they are one of the safer places that our kids could be. None of the teen aged shootings in our area have been at schools, they have all been at city parks, gas stations or the mall.

Lesser violence happens, I'm sure, as it does any where that hormonal people with little life experience congregate, but I don't think that most schools are particularly unsafe.

Captain Bryce, I agree that gay teens are bullied more than other teens, but I think that they are probably bullied just as much wherever they go and are exposed to bullies.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:26 am