CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Marc™
femme fatale
6 posters

Are Older People Getting Younger?

femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Are Older People Getting Younger? Empty Are Older People Getting Younger?

Post by femme fatale Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 pm

I was watching some footage of old Motown acts (Temps, Tops etc) on YouTube from back in the 60s and 70s. They would have been 30 somethings then but seemed really old and looked very middle aged. Like 15 years older than they were. These days guys who are the age they were then can sometimes pass for ten years younger. I wasn't around back then but it just seems to me that a 35 year old man or woman in 1975 was "aged" while some 35 year olds today can pass for 22. Can anyone who lived during this time tell me if I'm right or if I'm seeing it from a skewed perspective?
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Are Older People Getting Younger? Empty Re: Are Older People Getting Younger?

Post by Marc™ Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:29 pm

Maybe. This guy at work asked me how old I was....I told him 30 (a minus one lie), he said he figured I was about 23. I'm like alright....I'll accept that.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:44 pm

I've been told I don't look like I'm 66. The latest guy to tell me that was the worker at Social Security, where I was setting up to draw on benefits. In fact he was impressed that I not only biked the 5 miles there, but when I had to retrieve an original document from home, went and got it and was back within the hour (10 miles).

It could be that ppl are more health conscious than in the past. Also, style does a lot to date someone. Altho my style of T-shirt and cutoff denim jeans sort of dates me, it was the attire of young ppl back in the day.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 am

I think it's mostly due to the clothes and hair styles and if the footage you were watching was black and white. There's also a lot more cosmetic surgery now.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am

femme fatale wrote:I was watching some footage of old Motown acts (Temps, Tops etc) on YouTube from back in the 60s and 70s. They would have been 30 somethings then but seemed really old and looked very middle aged. Like 15 years older than they were. These days guys who are the age they were then can sometimes pass for ten years younger. I wasn't around back then but it just seems to me that a 35 year old man or woman in 1975 was "aged" while some 35 year olds today can pass for 22. Can anyone who lived during this time tell me if I'm right or if I'm seeing it from a skewed perspective?

Back then people, adults grew up faster than they do today and so their age probably showed more.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:09 am

I think that people dressed better back in those times. They were way more formal. Even teens back in the day, "dressed" for dates.

An example from a non-entertainment topic is how teachers dress today. Very few dress in professional attire. And I am speaking from my area, not sure if that is a thing everywhere, but I have done work inside schools, and have seen teachers on a Wednesday looking shabbier than those dressed for casual Friday at a call center.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 am