CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Chris
TSJFan4Ever
Impact
Shale
Nystyle709
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
11 posters

2003 invasion of Iraq

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

2003 invasion of Iraq Empty 2003 invasion of Iraq

Post by Marc™ Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Was Bush justified in sending troops into Iraq....and was this war more, less or equally as justified as the Gulf War?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

2003 invasion of Iraq Empty Re: 2003 invasion of Iraq

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Bush sent the troops over with the approval of both parties and the country at the time. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time, I think everyone agreed that it was the right decision and I don't believe that hillbilly was smart enough to pull one over on the entire country. Maybe in hindsight one could argue that it was wrong, but clearly a lot less people thought that at the time, which is what matters.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Marc™ wrote:Was Bush justified in sending troops into Iraq....and was this war more, less or equally as justified as the Gulf War?

No and less.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:23 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:... I think everyone agreed that it was the right decision and I don't believe that hillbilly was smart enough to pull one over on the entire country...
    Not Everyone.

I was at one of the many ineffective rallies advocating against his stupid invasion.

2003 invasion of Iraq 2003_s10

"Mission Accomplished"

Shit! Duh'bya didn't have a clue.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Well not everyone, but let's face it, we could have enemies invading the country and shooting women and children in the streets and not everyone would support police action to stop them. By and large, the country was behind dubya back then, Democrats included. We're still in war and nobody talks about it. 20/20 hindsight I always say. Bush did this; he should've done that. It's easy to say now.

Side note: For somebody who hates me, you read my posts a lot. xD
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:49 pm

Forgiveness_Man wrote:... Bush did this; he should've done that. It's easy to say now.

It was easy to say in March of 2003. It was not necessary to drag us into an unnecessary war with Iraq while we were committed to fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan (also an unwinnable situation but necessary after 9-11 and harboring Al Queda).

Forgiveness_Man wrote:Side note: For somebody who hates me, you read my posts a lot. xD
    There you go again, making totally unsupported statements as if they were credible. How did you come up that I hate you? I am frustrated by your lack of debating skills, by your pulling ideas out of thin air with no substantiation. Yes this is irritating and I will confront you on it, but how did you deduce I would hate you?
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I still don't get the purpose of that futile seven year war that only just ended a few months ago. Wait a second, yes I do. It was a ploy by the Bush administration to divert attention away from their failing miserably with the War in Afghanistan, in an attempt to get a second term.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:13 am

I don't know how fairly I can comment on this because I'm Canadian, so Canada's role is mainly in Afghanistan and it's a very different role. I think Bush needed a new enemy because he had failed to get Bin Ladin. A few years back, I saw a documentary filmed by a Canadian journalist who'd lived with an Iraqi family for several weeks. It was a very powerful portrayal of an ordinary Iraqi family caught up in the war.

Embedded in Baghdad
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:54 am

Agree with Impact and TSJ4Ever. The Bush administration couldn't find Al-Qaeda on a treasure map. The Iraq war was a transparent diversionary tactic, and I find it astonishing that they kept this forgettable conflict about nothing going for nearly a decade.
    Ghost1P
    Ghost1P
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 6

Post by Ghost1P Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:48 am

This is something I remind people a lot of. I was never a fan of Bush but I have to make sure that people don't forget that EVERYONE wanted to war. Americans are easily lead. After 9/11 Americans wanted blood and didn't care who's blood it was just as long as there was blood. Add to that that this was the first time in modern US history that we were going to war and it was not being paid for. In fact taxes went down since the the war in Iraq. Add so few Americans have ever served or know anyone who has served.

1 - I don't have to fight)
    2 - I don't have to pay for it
    3 - THEY attacked up (eventhough THEY did not attack us..and had nothing to do with who did)

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:28 am

Ghost1P wrote:... I have to make sure that people don't forget that ALMOST EVERYONE wanted to war.

There, fixed it for ya.

Ref the news article above about those of us crying in the wilderness. No, not everyone, just the mainstream, ignorant America wanted to follow Bush's folly - the same ppl who elected him FOR A SECOND TERM!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 pm

2003 invasion of Iraq Redneck'We need ta take Sa-damn out!'
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm tired of this jilted lover relationship the Bush family has with Iraq that keeps resulting in this pointless wars with the middle east. "Weapons of mass destruction", my ass!!! Any war IMO is a pointless one IF the U.S. isn't being directly threatened.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:06 am

Impact wrote:I still don't get the purpose of that futile seven year war that only just ended a few months ago. Wait a second, yes I do. It was a ploy by the Bush administration to divert attention away from their failing miserably with the War in Afghanistan, in an attempt to get a second term.
    co-signs
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:32 am

I remember when Bush Jr. declared war on Iraq mt first thought was "He's trying to finish his Daddy's war". I remember when Bush Sr. declared war. I was so scared. I was a kid back then and all I could think about was WWI and WWII and thinking we were headed for WWIII. I was so worried my Dad would go off to fight, like so many fathers did in the World Wars. My Dad's not even a soldier, but I was thinking about history. My parents handled our fears really well, though. and explained as much as they could, but I still remember the sight of that headline on the cover of our provincial news paper. I'd never seen such a huge headline - just one word - WAR - and it too up most of the page. I think Bush Jr. wanted a chance to finish Daddy's war and was looking for any excuse he could.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:03 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:... I think Bush Jr. wanted a chance to finish Daddy's war and was looking for any excuse he could.
    You may note that Hussain was making concessions to the UN inspectors right before the invasion, that he apparently knew it was imminent and that he actually did not have the weapons that some believed he had. This whole war could have been avoided if we had a more temperate person in the White House without some cowboy agenda to fulfill.

Another note is that Saddam Hussain was an unconscionable monster dictator. But, we now know that such a strong monster is necessary in some societies to keep all the lesser monsters subjugated. Look at what we have in Iraq today as compared with what we had under Hussain's iron fisted rule.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote: I think Bush Jr. wanted a chance to finish Daddy's war and was looking for any excuse he could.

I agree & also believe he wanted to even the score with the man who tried to kill his "daddy".

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 am