CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
TSJFan4Ever
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Jason B.
Shale
Alan Smithee
Chris
11 posters

What do you miss most about the 80's?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

What do you miss most about the 80's? Empty What do you miss most about the 80's?

Post by Chris Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:06 pm

To all who live through them, is there anything–big or small–about the 80s that you remember fondly and miss?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

What do you miss most about the 80's? Empty Re: What do you miss most about the 80's?

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Someone else may come up with something that jogs my memory but the 80's is my least favorite decade so far. Other than being in my 20's I can't think of anything.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

What do you miss most about the 80's? Empty Re: What do you miss most about the 80's?

Post by Shale Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:42 pm

alan smithee wrote:Someone else may come up with something that jogs my memory but the 80's is my least favorite decade so far. Other than being in my 20's I can't think of anything.
    Yeah, I was in my late 30s and early 40s in the '80s and aside from some hot, sweaty, screaming sex with my wife, there was not much more memorable about that decade. Compared to the '70s and the free-luv, rebellions against the majority culture it was a bit of a backlash.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:33 pm

It's funny that Shale and alan are both repeating the sentiment I've heard from other adults who were adults in the 80s. My parents also don't look back on that 10 years with much fondness. It seems like the 80s was a fun decade if you were a kid. If you were grown up and had to live a grown up life, it wasn't a bowl of cherries. Reagenomics, republicans, AIDS, conservatism taking over the air. Plus newswise, it wasn't that good.

Still for ME personally, I look back on it with fondness. Loved the music, movies, fashions and carefree atmosphere that I personally experienced then.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:41 pm

JB wrote:It's funny that Shale and alan are both repeating the sentiment I've heard from other adults who were adults in the 80s. My parents also don't look back on that 10 years with much fondness. It seems like the 80s was a fun decade if you were a kid. If you were grown up and had to live a grown up life, it wasn't a bowl of cherries. Reagenomics, republicans, AIDS, conservatism taking over the air. Plus newswise, it wasn't that good.

My parents, father especially, would tell you different. We've talked about this quite a few times, he LOVED the 80's. It was very prosperous for him. That's when he started making real money. He liked it much better than the 90's. 1983 (the year I was born) was his favorite year. He also said the 80's was a lot more creative, culturally.

Still for ME personally, I look back on it with fondness. Loved the music, movies, fashions and careful atmosphere that I personally experienced then.
    Same here.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:23 am

I lived in Chicago as a kid in the 80's. I LOVE Chicago and that is what I miss most about the 80's.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:28 am

My childhood? Can I say that? Being young and carefree? I'm a true child of the 80's - Cabbage Patch Kids (had 3, then traded my brother my GI Joes for his doll and ended up with 4), My Little Ponies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & He-Man(my brother more than me, but we often played together), and so on. What was really sad was going into a museum when they were doing a feature on my province from the time it was founded and finding my childhood toys in the 80's section. My brother and I played the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo was a huge jump up - lol.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:34 am

I think what I most remember about the 80s, or am the most nostalgic for, is the television and music. TV began to lose something in the 90s; seems like the 80s was the last time standard things were consistently done (like commercial announcers detailing the forthcoming episodes, beginning and ending theme songs.) The music, while maybe a too processed and synthesized to the point of cheesiness, was upbeat, fun and memorable.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:47 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:My childhood? Can I say that? Being young and carefree? I'm a true child of the 80's - Cabbage Patch Kids (had 3, then traded my brother my GI Joes for his doll and ended up with 4), My Little Ponies, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & He-Man(my brother more than me, but we often played together), and so on. What was really sad was going into a museum when they were doing a feature on my province from the time it was founded and finding my childhood toys in the 80's section. My brother and I played the original Nintendo and Super Nintendo was a huge jump up - lol.

i miss bein yung and carefree too.. loved teenge turtles he man she ra transformers cabbage patch kids... an do you remember garbage pail kids? Smile
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:27 pm

It's a bit before my time since I was born in '89 but I do miss when TV commercials were fun, like this:

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:23 pm

TSJFan4Ever wrote:...What was really sad was going into a museum when they were doing a feature on my province from the time it was founded and finding my childhood toys in the 80's section...
    It gets worse! I can't go to a museum without seeing things I was personally familiar with in my childhood.

MY LIFE IS HISTORY!!!
    hehe
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:32 pm

If I had to pinpoint one thing I miss about the 80s, it's MTV being 24 hrs music television.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Post by femme fatale Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:19 am

What I miss most about the 80s is how colorful and "Madison Avenue" it was. It was very "big" and sheik stylishly. That's what I miss. Oh and of course the music. I agree with the naysayers though about the politics of the 80s being terrible, that was the downside.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:56 am