CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
Supernova
Chris
8 posters

A Time to Kill?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

A Time to Kill? Empty A Time to Kill?

Post by Chris Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:36 pm

A Time to Kill? Atimetokill

Not so much a topic about the movie itself, but more the premise. In the novel/film, after a father (Carl Lee) kills his little girls rapists, he's put on trial for murder, and only narrowly escapes being convicted.

My question is, do you think murder is a justifiable reaction in such a scenario (someone's little girl raped by grown men?)

On a broader scale, I guess the question I'm asking is if you think murder is ever justified, beyond immediate self-defense?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

A Time to Kill? Empty Re: A Time to Kill?

Post by Supernova Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:29 pm

I think there is. There's already defense of another person or defense of property, and even though we have the whole innocent until proven guilty thing, we all know most guilty people never answer for their crimes and get to enjoy the good life while their victims and their families suffer, so if it stops a dangerous person from harming anybody else, I don't have as much of a problem with that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Chris wrote:A Time to Kill? Atimetokill

Not so much a topic about the movie itself, but more the premise. In the novel/film, after a father (Carl Lee) kills his little girls rapists, he's put on trial for murder, and only narrowly escapes being convicted.

My question is, do you think murder is a justifiable reaction in such a scenario (someone's little girl raped by grown men?)

On a broader scale, I guess the question I'm asking is if you think murder is ever justified, beyond immediate self-defense?

Yep. Rape my daughter and I'm coming at them with a AK, a can of gasoline AND a shovel....they won't be able to find 'em.

Good movie too.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't believe in revenge(although I think those who seek it should have bleeding hearts bending over just as backwards to get them off as they do for the real crooks), so no, not in this scenario. I do believe killing is justified in self-defense, but I do not consider that murder.

I also believe that soldiers in war can be justified in killing if necessary. That doesn't mean they should massacre a village of women and children but it's kill or be killed on the battlefield. I also believe defense of another is a good case for justifiable homicide. Lastly, I believe crooks can be justly executed by the state.

But beyond that, I honestly do not think murder is really ever justifiable. I'll listen to your case but you got some convincing to do.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Chris wrote:My question is, do you think murder is a justifiable reaction in such a scenario (someone's little girl raped by grown men?)

Would I want revenge? Yes I would but just killing the motherfuckers who did that to my little girl would be letting them off too easy. They better hope that the police get to them first because if it's me I'll tell them, "I won't kill you. That's not a promise. That's a threat. Have you ever read "Johnny Got His Gun asshole?"
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm

alan smithee wrote: They better hope that the police get to them first because if it's me I'll tell them, "I won't kill you. That's not a promise. That's a threat. Have you ever read "Johnny Got His Gun asshole?"

Ohhhhhhhhhh! clapping Excellent idea, alan, I never thought about that. Yes, sometimes there ARE fates worse than death.
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

Post by stonestatic Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I think it's a dangerous slope to excuse killing someone for any reason beyond self defense. I can understand how someone's little girl being raped can cause temporary insanity and that can be taken into account, but there still needs to be a trial for that person and a possible harsh sentence. Society will be in trouble if we start allowing people to vigilante kill for revenge.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Chris wrote:A Time to Kill? Atimetokill

No. Then people would want to be a vigilante about other things. If my little girl was raped by a grown man, I'd make it so that he would beg for death.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:12 am

I don't blame the father in "A Time to Kill", especially given how remorseless and uncaring those SOBs were and how they got away with their crime, but vigilante justice can often cause more problems than it solves. Besides, there are far worse things than death. Death would be too simple for those guys. I'd want them to suffer the way they made my little girl suffer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:40 am