Religious disfellowship and shunning. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Religious disfellowship and shunning.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Religious disfellowship and shunning. Empty
PostSubject: Religious disfellowship and shunning.   Religious disfellowship and shunning. EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 pm

Is it ethical for a church to demand or encourage shunning of ex-communicated or disfellowshipped members. Like say for instance, someone voices their opposition to a churches stance on a certain issue; the church ex-communicates this member for not falling in line. From there, do you they have a (ethical) right to say to its members, "do not associate with that person again?"
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.   Religious disfellowship and shunning. EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Do they have a right to? Religiously, I guess they do have that right. It's a stupid move and I don't condone it, but you can't force somebody to associate with somebody else.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.   Religious disfellowship and shunning. EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:13 pm

Chris wrote:
Is it ethical for a church to demand or encourage shunning of ex-communicated or disfellowshipped members. Like say for instance, someone voices their opposition to a churches stance on a certain issue; the church ex-communicates this member for not falling in line. From there, do you they have a (ethical) right to say to its members, "do not associate with that person again" ?

This is one of the huge problems I have with religion & one of the reasons I walked away from it for--ever. I know of an instance where a gay guy was BANNED from the church. Permanently. Because he's...gay. He got "disfellowshipped". And no it isn't right. Ethically, morally, biblically or any other stupid excuse they came up with. But they get to set their own rules I guess since so many of them interpret their rulebook the way they choose.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.   Religious disfellowship and shunning. EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 7:15 pm

I think a church is within its full right to ban someone from participating, but I don't think they have a right to try and make people social outcasts beyond the church walls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious disfellowship and shunning.   Religious disfellowship and shunning. Empty

Back to top Go down

Religious disfellowship and shunning.
Page 1 of 1