ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays

Go down 
+6
Impact
CeCe
Shale
GrayWolf
Forgiveness Man
Chris
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays Empty
PostSubject: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 am

Schools in Tennessee are gonna have to be careful about wishing its students a happy and safe Christmas vacation.
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101208/NEWS04/101208020/ACLU+warns+schools+about+holiday+activities+

Quote :
The American Civil Liberties Union of Tennessee has warned school officials across the state about holiday celebrations.

In a letter to the 137 public school superintendents, the group reminded them that holiday celebrations focusing primarily on one religious holiday amount to a school's unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The ACLU said in a news release that it was responding to numerous complaints from families about such school activities.

Hedy Weinberg, ACLU executive director in Tennessee, said it is especially important for people to embrace the constitutional guarantees of the First Amendment in order to ensure that religious freedom flourishes.

The letter cites several U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the matter.

Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 9:12 am

God forbid schools wish kids good things. Lol
Back to top Go down
GrayWolf
…is Authorized.
…is Authorized.
GrayWolf

Male
Rep : 36

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:41 am

People should know Christmas is the most recognized and celebrated holiday. If they don't celebrate it and want attention brought to theirs then it's up to THEM to bring attention to it. Don't silence the "Merry Christmas".
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 10:58 am

As a card-carrying member of the ACLU, I don't always support every one of their crusades. Don't necessarily disagree with them, but they should be tempered by the local attitude.

But, who knows how bad this was in TN. Not the most liberal place where ppl of other minority faiths or differences can expect to have their beliefs respected. The local attitude could very well be that "Jews killed our lord and savior Jesus Christ." Really, I have heard that very statement in the deep south. Jews are barely tolerated in some locales.

So, maybe there is more to this backstory than reported in the news.

However, here's a quandary. Mardi Gras is celebrated in New Orleans and Mobile - and that is specifically a Catholic celebration. You thot it was just a tourist grabbing party? No, it is Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent. And the city supports it.

I doubt the New Orleans ACLU would ever dare...
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 11:09 am

Shale wrote:

But, who knows how bad this was in TN. Not the most liberal place where ppl of other minority faiths or differences can expect to have their beliefs respected. The local attitude could very well be that "Jews killed our lord and savior Jesus Christ." Really, I have heard that very statement in the deep south. Jews are barely tolerated in some locales.

I've heard this from the pulpit of churches. Seriously. Some of these people don't even understand their own religion.
Back to top Go down
Impact
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
Impact

Male
Rep : 75

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 1:29 am

The ACLU has more pressing socio-political issues to investigate than whether or not schools are using the neutral "Happy Holidays" banner in their cafeterias. Make an issue out religious intolerance, not symbolic religious dominance.
Back to top Go down
captainbryce
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
captainbryce

Male
Rep : 127

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Chris wrote:
In a letter to the 137 public school superintendents, the group reminded them that holiday celebrations focusing primarily on one religious holiday amount to a school's unconstitutional endorsement of religion.

The letter cites several U.S. Supreme Court decisions about the matter.[/b]

My real problem with this attitude is how much ignorance and irresponsibility is injected into these emotional appeals by parents and reactionary decisions by officials. People seem to forget the fact that neither Hanukkah, Kwanzaa nor Ramadan are federal holidays in the United States, while Christmas is! Businesses are closed and government employees don't work on Christmas because December 25th is a national federal holiday and has been for 140 years. Christmas was designated a federal holiday by Congress and President Ulysses S. Grant in 1870. When other religious holidays become national recognized holidays, THEN maybe these people can accuse the school of favoring a religion. But the US government has ALREADY recognized it as a national holiday OVER all other religious holidays! So perhaps these people should be taking it up with the US Government instead of local schools who are only practicing a centuries old tradition.
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptySun Dec 19, 2010 3:01 am

Perhaps the schools in Tennessee should just run right through the year, then, and not bother taking time off for Christmas Day. Why bother having a day off when they're not acknowledging the reason for it. I wonder if the trustees would be willing to work on December 25th, seeing as they seem to consider it a regular day.

I'm glad where I live, different cultures and traditions are celebrated and recognized. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, I'll respond back in the same way. If they say Happy Hanukkah, I'll also respond back the same way, and so on.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 2:05 am

I think it should be up to schools to acknowledge the holiday or not. For children in large schools in the city, there are holidays celebrated by their counterparts that are not properly acknowledged. Personally, I don't think it should be celebrated in the schools. But, I know that is not popular opinion.
Back to top Go down
JM130ELM
…is Necessary.
…is Necessary.
JM130ELM

Male
Rep : 32

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 am

Impact wrote:
The ACLU has more pressing socio-political issues to investigate than whether or not schools are using the neutral "Happy Holidays" banner in their cafeterias. Make an issue out religious intolerance, not symbolic religious dominance.

I'm thinking they don't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays   ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays Empty

Back to top Go down

ACLU warns schools about promoting religion during holidays
Page 1 of 1