CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+17
jennab85
Shale
TPP
Nhaiyel
CeCe
TSJFan4Ever
Impact
Jason B.
GrayWolf
Alan Smithee
DarkOblivion
CatEyes10736
Tony Marino
Supernova
Marc™
Forgiveness Man
Chris
21 posters

Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective? Empty Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective?

Post by Chris Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:24 am

What's your opinion on this: should gym class be a required subject in middle and high school, or should it be an elective?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective? Empty Re: Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective?

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:32 am

Eh, I'm torn. I know kids need exercise but sometimes PE class seems to be a bit pointless and ignorant of the kids' personal exercising needs. It often strikes me as something that rewards physical fitness already had rather than creating it where it's lacked.

So yeah, I'm torn.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective? Empty Re: Should P.E. be mandatory or an elective?

Post by Marc™ Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:34 am

GYM class should be an elective. Yeah kids need exercise and all that stuff....but an hour of indoor volleyball isn't what I would consider physical education.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 am

Besides, most P.E. classes yeah you HAVE to take them, but you just show up, don't even have to do anything and you pass the course.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 am

Supernova wrote:Besides, most P.E. classes yeah you HAVE to take them, but you just show up, don't even have to do anything and you pass the course.

Very true. When I was in school, all you really had to do was actively participate and you'd get a decent grade.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:00 pm

My PE class was the same; it was basically a time to chill for the most part. FORGIVENESS MAN
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:07 pm

I think it should be mandatory, at least 3 times a week. These kids today do not get enough exercise as it is and an hour in the gym will do them good physically and mentally.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:19 pm

^^^^An hour of exercise and an hour of gym are not always synonymous. PE was a break from work at my school. Razz That's it.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

IMO it's somewhat important, but I think they should alter its focus from being mostly about sports to being more about the actual properties of physical fitness. Aerobics and weights over basketball and softball. When I was in HS if you weren't good at sports or if you didn't have any interest in them, PE wasn't gonna be fun for you.
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by DarkOblivion Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Should be mandatory. Kids today are inactive and fat because after the school they're off to the Ps3 and computer. They gotta have that one class that makes them run.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:14 pm

If gym classes are still the same as when I had them then no to being mandatory. If the classes were geared only to strength and conditioning activities instead of "bombardment", archery, square dancing, etc., then maybe they should be mandatory.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Dark Oblivion wrote:Should be mandatory. Kids today are inactive and fat because after the school they're off to the Ps3 and computer. They gotta have that one class that makes them run.

I always see crowded ball fields in my neighborhood. Kids are fat from poor dieting, IMO. If we want them to walk, have them walk to school if they can. The PE class I had was barely exercise. The exercise was warming up and the "class" time consisted of silly ball games. Mandatory PE won't do anything but make the kids not good at sports feel embarrassed.
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:52 pm

I can see why phys ed is important but it should be an elective anyway. School is for academic not physical, if parents don't want their kids to be fat they should push them to be active and not eat junk. I could play the hell out of dodge ball in gym when i was a kid but for the most part I didn't care about the class.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:22 pm

It should be mandatory, but standard gym class shouldn't be required. There should be alternatives to it. In high school I took weight lifting and liked it.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:05 am

It should definitely be mandatory. Even if it does consist primarily of volleyball and basketball, there's still a lot of cardio movement required to participate in those games. Cardo gets the heartrate going. Fifty minutes of PE every other day won't kill anyone.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:55 am

I don't know about PE, but I fully support quality daily physical education. I've seen teachers do many variations, including yoga, health living, dancing, and stretching, as well as the regular physical activities. I think there are a lot of benefits to keeping kids active. It helps them stay more focused and allows them to burn off excess energy. A little guy I work with sometimes used to go to the computer lap during lunches because it was easier to contain him. I have him go outside and he runs around almost the whole time. Sure it's busy and I have to keep up to him, but he really needs to be active. The whole class takes part in daily stretching and they love it. Physical activity is very easy to incorporate into the day. I'd say that I support daily physical activity, rather than daily PE classes.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:03 am

alan smithee wrote:If gym classes are still the same as when I had them then no to being mandatory. If the classes were geared only to strength and conditioning activities instead of "bombardment", archery, square dancing, etc., then maybe they should be mandatory.

omg we had squaredancing too. eeeeeeee the flashback I just had.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Absolutely. Any exercise at all during the week is important, no matter how frequent (or not) it is. It's good to get kids in the habit of taking care of themselves and P.E. was put in place to get them accustomed to having some sort of physical activity. Plus it is another method of teaching kids the value competition and team work, or at least it should.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 am

Nhaiyel wrote:Absolutely. Any exercise at all during the week is important, no matter how frequent (or not) it is. It's good to get kids in the habit of taking care of themselves and P.E. was put in place to get them accustomed to having some sort of physical activity. Plus it is another method of teaching kids the value competition and team work, or at least it should.

co-signs
    Agreed but I still stick to my position of it being made into a class that is a little more inclusive of all student body types and not as competitive.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 am

I think it should be mandatory. Physical fitness is just as important as the stuff that they are learning about math and science. If you don't have your health, you can't go be a scientist after all.

I do think that it should be like it was at my Jr. High though. We did jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, stretches, ran laps and THEN we split off to go do what we liked, most of the boys did weight training and most of the girls did aerobics or gymnastics. On Friday everybody had to run the mile, or for ten minutes around the gym if it was raining.

The kids certainly aren't learning to be active at home, at least if we can KEEP them active until they are old enough to realize that it's important maybe it could help them stay healthy so they can go be productive citizens.

Plus, I just think it makes the kids more receptive to learning, at least the kind of "sit down and listen or read" learning that they have to do all day, if they have something to get their energy out.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:I think it should be mandatory. Physical fitness is just as important as the stuff that they are learning about math and science. If you don't have your health, you can't go be a scientist after all.

I do think that it should be like it was at my Jr. High though. We did jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, stretches, ran laps and THEN we split off to go do what we liked, most of the boys did weight training and most of the girls did aerobics or gymnastics. On Friday everybody had to run the mile, or for ten minutes around the gym if it was raining.

The kids certainly aren't learning to be active at home, at least if we can KEEP them active until they are old enough to realize that it's important maybe it could help them stay healthy so they can go be productive citizens.

Plus, I just think it makes the kids more receptive to learning, at least the kind of "sit down and listen or read" learning that they have to do all day, if they have something to get their energy out.

I agree, six hours in school everyday, kids need some sort of physical activity that gets their heart rate up. At the same time, though, since PE class can be just as traumatic for some as it is exhilarating for others, I have to wonder if it ought to be waived if the kid makes a compelling enough case about why he/she would rather not take (or continue) it.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:35 am

Chris wrote:
    thepossiblepolice wrote:I think it should be mandatory. Physical fitness is just as important as the stuff that they are learning about math and science. If you don't have your health, you can't go be a scientist after all.

I agree, six hours in school everyday, kids need some sort of physical activity that gets their heart rate up. At the same time, though, since PE class can be just as traumatic for some as it is exhilarating for others, I have to wonder if it ought to be waived if the kid makes a compelling enough case about why he/she would rather not take (or continue) it.

What sucks is that the kids that it's probably most traumatic for are probably the ones who need it the most.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:38 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:What sucks is that the kids that it's probably most traumatic for are probably the ones who need it the most.

I don't think PE as a class is really necessary. Take the kids outside and let them run around for crying out loud. lol The PE class I had was a joke and I honestly think we equate PE with physical fitness way too much.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am

Uh, Stephen Hawking may disagree with that. blank stare @ you

thepossiblepolice wrote:I do think that it should be like it was at my Jr. High though. We did jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, stretches, ran laps and THEN we split off to go do what we liked, most of the boys did weight training and most of the girls did aerobics or gymnastics. On Friday everybody had to run the mile, or for ten minutes around the gym if it was raining.

The kids certainly aren't learning to be active at home, ...

I agree with those who suggested it be for the purpose of increasing physical fitness rather than participate in competitive sports. I used to love things we did in gym, like that rope climb and some of the workout routines - but dreaded being put on the B'ball court or out in softball. (I was like Bella)

I think it would best benefit the non-competitive students to do track and field stuff - basically aerobic and exercise. Of course my gen didn't have so much sedentary a life. I often walked the two miles home from school, then got on my bike and did stuff.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Shale wrote:
    Uh, Stephen Hawking may disagree with that. blank stare @ you

thepossiblepolice wrote:I do think that it should be like it was at my Jr. High though. We did jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, stretches, ran laps and THEN we split off to go do what we liked, most of the boys did weight training and most of the girls did aerobics or gymnastics. On Friday everybody had to run the mile, or for ten minutes around the gym if it was raining.

The kids certainly aren't learning to be active at home, ...

I agree with those who suggested it be for the purpose of increasing physical fitness rather than participate in competitive sports. I used to love things we did in gym, like that rope climb and some of the workout routines - but dreaded being put on the B'ball court or out in softball. (I was like Bella)

I think it would best benefit the non-competitive students to do track and field stuff - basically aerobic and exercise. Of course my gen didn't have so much sedentary a life. I often walked the two miles home from school, then got on my bike and did stuff.

My 7 yo did football last year and it was awful. He is NOT a team sport person. I really want to get him in cross country, I think he'd be great at that, but there's no track/field at his school. There's a track and a field, lol, but no team. If I had more time I would offer to coach it myself, even though I am not a runner.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 8:41 am