CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Favorite literary series?

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Favorite literary series? Empty Favorite literary series?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:28 pm

Any of you readers have a favorite series? Not so much a series based on a character in a series of books with unrelated plots (like Sherlock Holmes) but a story that continues over a number of books (like The Lord of the Rings)? I copy/pasted much of the following from Wikipedia.

A Song of Ice & Fire - George R.R. Martin. The story primarily upon a continent called Westeros but also on a large landmass to the east, known as Essos. There are three principal storylines in the series: the chronicling of a dynastic civil war for control of Westeros between several competing families; the rising threat of the Others who dwell beyond an immense wall of ice that forms Westeros' northern border; and the ambition of Daenerys Targaryen, the exiled daughter of a king who was murdered in another civil war fifteen years previously, to return to Westeros and claim her rightful throne. As the series progresses, all three storylines become increasingly interwoven and dependent on each other.

The series is told in the limited third-person through the eyes of a number of point of view characters. By the end of the fourth volume, there have been seventeen such characters with multiple chapters and eight who only have one chapter apiece.

I started reading this before I learned that HBO is making a series out of it that's coming this April(?) His involvment in it has probably had a lot to do with the delay of the 5th book of a planned 7 book series.

The Amber Chronicles (the Corwin cycle anyway) - Roger Zelazny. The Amber stories take place in two, true worlds: Amber, and the Courts of Chaos. Other worlds, including our Earth, are but "shadows" of the tension between the two true worlds. The Courts of Chaos is situated in Shadow at the very edge of Chaos itself. Royals of Amber who have negotiated the Pattern, can travel freely through the shadows. By shifting between shadows, one can appear to alter reality by choosing which elements of which shadows to keep, and which to move between.

The Dark Tower - Stephen King. It describes a "Gunslinger" (similar to a knight), Roland Deschain and his quest toward a tower, the nature of which is both physical and metaphorical. It's also a 7 book series (completed) but King has announced an 8th is on the way. Ron Howard is also involved in making feature length films with a TV series tie in.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, the Unbeliever - Stephen R. Donaldson. Thomas Covenant, an embittered and cynical writer, afflicted with leprosy and shunned by society, is fated to become the heroic savior of The Land, a fictional alternate world.

The Lensman - E.E. "Doc" Smith. The Lensman series is a serial science fiction space opera. It was a runner-up for the Hugo award for best All-Time Series. The winner was the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Favorite literary series? Empty Re: Favorite literary series?

Post by Supernova Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:51 pm

I've only read the first 4 books of the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice, I like them, but it's been a few years since I last read them.

I've also read the Left Behind series, which was okay, it was the first full series I ever read, thought it could have been better in some places though.

This is more of an anthology series, but I like the Sisters in Crime series, 5 books of great crime and mystery stories.

I've recently started reading the Wizard of Oz series, so far I'm only on book 2 of that, but so far it's very good.

Other than that, as a kid I read the Fright Time series which I thought was very good, I still have all those books, but aside from that I really have never paid much attention to whole series.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:37 am

Lord of the Rings
    Harry Potter
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Orphan Train series by Joan Lowery Nixon (kids' series that I read back in elementary school)
    The Dark is Rising series

There are others, too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:35 pm