Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rent vs. Own your dwelling....

Go down 
+9
TPP
Shale
AtownPeep
Alan Smithee
CatEyes10736
Nystyle709
Cheaps
Chris
RedBedroom
13 posters
AuthorMessage
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... Empty
PostSubject: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:50 am

I live in an area where "everybody" owns. We lease our house. We do it for a few reasons....one being I can not commit to owning, plus, we lease a home in an area we could not afford to own in. Granted we could afford it, but there would be zero put into savings if we paid a mortgage here. So, I am happy here, as we are.

It is crazy that people can't get that people of our age are choosing to not own.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 am

It's important to do what's economical. Sometimes renting is the way to go, because at least you have the a little more leverage to ponder what your next move will be. The downside of renting, though, is being locked in a lease for however long, so if something comes up and you want (or need) to leave, you basically had to try and plead with the landlord. Most of whom won't free you. Never rented a house, so I don't know how it differs, but before I got my house I leased two apartments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Cheaps
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Cheaps

Female
Rep : 252

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 3:48 am

i rent a room from my freinds who are buyin their home.. no lease or anything. things have been goin great for 2 1/2 years. im in no way able to afford buyin my own place. not anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 3:52 am

Do whatever is the best fit for you. I know owning a home is supposed to be the ultimate 'American Dream', but with that comes a lot of responsibility. And if you can't seriously afford it, you don't need to be trying to own anything.
Back to top Go down
CatEyes10736
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
CatEyes10736

Female
Rep : 126

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:48 am

I think leasing a home is actually a good start since not everyone is automatically prepared for the responsibility of owning a big house. I'd rather do that to get the feel for what running a home is like, while I saved up to eventually own my own some day.
Back to top Go down
Alan Smithee
Alan Smithee

Male
Rep : 381

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 10:59 am

My wife and I have rented since we got married. We did look at houses but we decided we shouldn't make that kind of financial commitment based on how much money we made at the time. We figured it would be something we'd work toward but over the years it became less and less of a goal. The way things have gone with the economy (largely because people didn’t do the responsible thing as we did), that plan looks better and better. No regrets about not owning a home. Especially in New Jersey where your property tax bill is usually more than your mortgage payment.
Back to top Go down
AtownPeep
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
AtownPeep

Female
Rep : 39

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm

I neither rent or own. Currently I stay with my family (well I guess that's rent, because I do pony up money every month, but nothing hardcore). I can see how it would be more economical to rent a nice home than to buy one. The thing though is that when I move into a home of my own, I don't want a landlord hovering over me or to feel like I'm being monitored against whatever rules they have. I don't want to have to struggle back and forth with a "my lease says... " or a "you were supposed to fix this... " Once I become liberated from my mama's home, I don't want to ever be in a position to where someone can "evict" or tell me to get out of their house.
Back to top Go down
Shale
...is a Chamber Royal.
...is a Chamber Royal.
Shale

Male
Rep : 219

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 1:50 pm

I have always rented, except for a couple of years when my friends convinced me I needed to buy a condo. I actually found a one-room condo laid out exactly like the efficiency apartments I have been renting here on Miami Beach.

Well, owning is not my lifestyle. Anything went wrong, I had to take a day off work to get it fixed. Much better to tell my landlady that this or that needs fixing. So, I got rid of the condo and now rent an exact replica of it. These efficiencies on Miami Beach are all laid out the same except they reverse for the ones next door. So, my furniture has always been the same and in the same place whenever I move to a different one.

A YouTube of Shale's Digs
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 2:47 pm

We first bought our home 12 years ago, and there are times when I wish we were renters for sure, especially since the housing market has crashed!
Back to top Go down
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 3:59 pm

It's different for each person/couple/family and for some, renting works and for others, it doesn't. I rent and I don't know if that'll change, as houses are SOOOO expensive where I live.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptyFri Dec 31, 2010 6:40 pm

I don't actually think renting would work for us, we have five kids 9 and under and a lab (dog, not science)...But I do fantasize about it! I hate having to do all the upkeep ourselves and I think we could rent for less money since we have two mortgages.
Back to top Go down
Offbeat Oddity
…is a Newbie.
…is a Newbie.
Offbeat Oddity

Male
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 2:58 am

I'm currently renting because I can't afford my own home, but even when I'm older, I don't think I could actually buy myself a house. I find that having a landlord around is really convenient because I'm NOT handy when it comes to fixing up the house or solving whatever problems may arise. I just let my landlord take care of everything- heck, I don't even have to mow the lawn or shovel!
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 6:14 pm

It's like everything else, there's an up AND down side. When you rent you have someone else's rules. And I have authority issues. They can toss you out with a 30 day notice. Owning means as long as the mortgage is paid nobody can toss you out but you're also pretty much stuck living there if you can't sell it. But I'll paint the walls any goofy color I want. Pipe breaks & you rent, you call the landlord. If you own you call a plumber. It's an individual thing. One is ideal for one person but won't work for another.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 11:11 pm

Whatever works for you economically and allows you to live comfortably.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rent vs. Own your dwelling....   Rent vs. Own your dwelling.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Rent vs. Own your dwelling....
Page 1 of 1