Kids walking to/from school Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

CC33
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

HomeportalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kids walking to/from school

Go down 
+7
TSJFan4Ever
MandyPerfumeGirl
CeCe
Tony Marino
Supernova
Forgiveness Man
Chris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

Kids walking to/from school Empty
PostSubject: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 7:13 am

At what age should kids be allowed to walk to school by themselves?
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male
Rep : 153

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:17 am

Depends on the distance to school from their home.
Back to top Go down
Supernova
The Book Chamber
The Book Chamber
Supernova

Female
Rep : 182

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:51 am

Yeah, obviously you wouldn't anymore let them go off by themselvse at five like our grandparents did with our parents...but I don't don't, 9 or 10 in general I guess. Of course, if possible, if it were me, and there were other children of the same age in the area, I'd encourage they all walk together.
Back to top Go down
Tony Marino
…is a Global Moderator.
…is a Global Moderator.
Tony Marino

Male
Rep : 607

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm

When they are like 14 or 15 maybe. I would not want any of my kids walking to school alone.
Back to top Go down
CeCe
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
CeCe

Rep : 326

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 12:46 pm

^especially these days. I did when I was in first grade but no way would I have let my kids walk to school by themselves.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 2:47 pm

Supernova wrote:
Yeah, obviously you wouldn't anymore let them go off by themselvse at five like our grandparents did with our parents...but I don't don't, 9 or 10 in general I guess. Of course, if possible, if it were me, and there were other children of the same age in the area, I'd encourage they all walk together.
If it's nearby, but if it's farther, I think through middle school is more where I'd go.
Back to top Go down
MandyPerfumeGirl
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
MandyPerfumeGirl

Female
Rep : 26

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 3:29 pm

I'm thinking maybe 10 or 11. It would be pretty embarrassing for a sixth-grader to have his Mom walk him to school, but I know safety is the issue here and not what's "cool". In my generation (I'm 23), I remember kids in junior high walking to school by themselves and they did okay. Anyway, I say 10 or 11.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Chamber Admin.
Chamber Admin.
Chris

Male
Rep : 330

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I would agree that ten or eleven should be the minimum age, but I've heard of six and seven year olds walking to school by themselves; always thought that was way too young.
Back to top Go down
http://www.conversationchamber.com/
TSJFan4Ever
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
TSJFan4Ever

Female
Rep : 78

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I'd say 11 or so, depending on the maturity of the child. Some 11 year olds I'd totally trust but not others.
Back to top Go down
Forgiveness Man
…is a Chamber Royal.
…is a Chamber Royal.
Forgiveness Man

Male

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 pm

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:
I'm thinking maybe 10 or 11. It would be pretty embarrassing for a sixth-grader to have his Mom walk him to school, but I know safety is the issue here and not what's "cool". In my generation (I'm 23), I remember kids in junior high walking to school by themselves and they did okay. Anyway, I say 10 or 11.
It doesn't have to be his Mom necessarily. There may be other options available.
Back to top Go down
RedBedroom
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
RedBedroom

Female
Rep : 312

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 8:41 pm

There are too many variables in that situation. In elementary, we lived exactly a mile from school. In fifth grade, my son would have been ok to walk to and from school, but what about bad weather? So, I had to pay for bus service. Now, school is too far for him to ever walk, though some kids bike it. I still won't ever let him do that as I don't feel the route is safe.
Back to top Go down
Nystyle709
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
Nystyle709

Female
Rep : 339

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Chris wrote:
At what age should kids be allowed to walk to school by themselves?

Depends on the school, distance, time, neighborhood, the kid and most importantly, your options. My elementary school was about 5 blocks from my house where I grew up and my mother started letting me walk to school with these two older girls who went there too when I was about 8. We would walk to and from school together. When I was 9, they went to middle school and I started walking by myself. Most of the time she would walk me there and then I'd walk back home by myself. Junior high and high school of course, I took public transportation like most kids in NYC.
Back to top Go down
TPP
…is a Power Member.
…is a Power Member.
TPP

Female
Rep : 69

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 10:44 pm

It just depends on how many of them there are and how far away the school is. If we lived closer, I would let my 7 and 9 yo walk with friends to school. But we don't so I drive them both ways. I wouldn't let ANY of my kids walk alone though.
Back to top Go down
Marc™
…is a Chamber DEITY.
…is a Chamber DEITY.
Marc™

Male
Rep : 212

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Yeah it depends on the distance, the neighborhood and personality of the kid. My kids are 10 and ride the bus....and they walk to the stop, which is three blocks away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kids walking to/from school   Kids walking to/from school Empty

Back to top Go down

Kids walking to/from school
Page 1 of 1