CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Chris
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
TPP
Supernova
CatEyes10736
11 posters

Boxing (the Sport)

CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Boxing (the Sport) Empty Boxing (the Sport)

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:09 am

I know I'll probably get "cyber bullied" for saying this, but I think boxing is one of the stupidest professional sports. I'm all for teaching it as a self-defense method for RL situations, but do two people need to get in a ring and prove who can outbox the other for fame and glory? I find the premise of it to be barbaric and pompous.

What's your opinion of boxing?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Boxing (the Sport) Empty Re: Boxing (the Sport)

Post by Supernova Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:14 am

Never wanted to learn it for the competetive part, I always just wanted to learn how to do it for the exercise. Of course I think it was more interesting back before all of wrestling and sports became so painfully obviously fixed. Lou Costello, the fat little man in the Abbott and Costello comedies, was a boxer himself and his footwork in one movie tells of this in itself, and I think I read that he won 35 fights in a row, then the first one he lost, he quit the whole thing. Not what you'd expect from a fat, short funny man in films.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:27 am

I liked to see Oscar De La Hoya all shirtless and sweaty, that's all. I don't really get the appeal of these kind of sports...Although it IS less confusing to me than trying to follow what's going on during a football game or something.

Boxing (the Sport) Oscar_de_la_Hoya
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:08 am

Not one of my faves to watch, never really got into the hype of watching it, but my uncle taught me how to box when I was younger. It's great excercise and you learn really great defensive techniques. Now that you mention it, I'm going to start hitting the bag again. I used to have one in my mother's garage that I would hit whenever I got mad. It got pretty raggedy so I threw it out.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:23 pm

I can’t defend the brutality of gladiatorial combat such as boxing but I think it’s one of the most dramatic and exciting things to watch. Or the most boring. As the saying goes, styles make fights.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Boxing has already been overshadowed by MMA. I'm surprised it even still exists.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Haven't really paid attention to boxing for over a decade. I'm sort of asi-asi with it. On the one hand, it's good exercise and arguably less barbaric a sport than things like UFC and wrestling, but on the other hand, it can be boring and is easily the most repetitive. Like TPP said, though, of most physical sports, Boxing is probably the easiest for non-sports fans to understand.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:51 am

It's a martial art. Nobody kicks up as much of a fuss about Judo, Muay Thai or Capoeira.

There's also a large distinction between professional boxing and amateur boxing (the kind seen at the Olympics). Amateur boxing places a much higher emphasis on technical point scoring and penalizes dangerous head blows.

Boxing is also a relatively safe sport in terms of fatalities. College football is more dangerous than boxing. Horse Racing is lethal compared to boxing.

There is a valid concern that, while not causing many fatalities, it can often lead to permanent brain damage. However, many other sports when played professionally over a number of years can lead to degenerative physical conditions such as osteoarthritis.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm not a fan and never was. I never understood the competitive nature of it, as it seems so brutal.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:57 am

im a fan of boxing.. i have frens/fam who order fights pretty often... i used to think it was boring when i was younger, but i enjoy watchin it now.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:I liked to see Oscar De La Hoya all shirtless and sweaty, that's all. I don't really get the appeal of these kind of sports...

Boxing (the Sport) Oscar_de_la_Hoya
    I'm the same way. Don't care for the sport but I used to get all hot wanting to lick the sweat off Tony Danza
    Boxing (the Sport) Tony_d10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:38 am