CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Supernova
TSJFan4Ever
CatEyes10736
Alan Smithee
tmontyb
TPP
Chris
CeCe
Marc™
13 posters

Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation Empty Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation

Post by Marc™ Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Remember that thread about the woman who fell into the fountain while texting....now she's trying to sue over it.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189

Is this bitch serious? Watch the video....
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation Empty Re: Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation

Post by CeCe Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:12 pm

Doesn't she realize she's embarrassed herself enough? She was an idiot. She fell. She got out. Nobody knew who she was. Until now.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation Empty Re: Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation

Post by Chris Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:51 pm

No one came to her aid? She got up and walked away five seconds after she fell, it isn't as if she was paralyzed from the fall and couldn't move. While walking and texting at the same time, she allowed herself to become ignorant of her surroundings; her fault. She only makes herself look sillier with this whining. Like her clothes, her case is all wet.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:58 pm

I swear I thought she was a kid. She was not even identifiable. She made it worse for herself by going on tv whining about it.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 am

I saw her this morning...I need an eye roll emoticon.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 am

You know, I think she has every right to sue. It was funny, I agree, but I think it's truly effed up that security uploaded that video. That act in itself is extremely inappropriate.

Edit: Hold up. I just read that article. This heifer was in court for theft by deception? Oh please. Now I don't feel sorry for her.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:12 am

thepossiblepolice wrote:I saw her this morning...I need an eye roll emoticon.

Here ya go eye roll

Wink
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 am

Mama Gump was right. Stupid is as stupid does.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:29 am

^^and stupid should never be a paying job.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:40 am

She wants to sue because of her own stupidity? You'd think someone pushed her into the fountain, no she tripped because she wasn't watching where she was going. Come to her aid for what? It's a mall fountain, not the current pulling you out to sea. I really hope she's laughed out of court.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:43 am

lmao maybe she needed warning signs about the big ass fountain ahead & a lifeguard to dive in after her trained in CPR.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 am

Maybe we should all sue HER for stupidity!!!! ITA that all she's doing is making herself an even bigger idiot than she already was. Now we all know who she was - HA HA HA!!!!! Before, there was doubt but now that she's stepped up, we can put a face to the stupidity that missed a huge fountain and fell into it because she was too busy texting.

Last edited by TSJFan4Ever on Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:02 am

I am a clumsy person and I could totally see myself doing something stupid like she did, but if everyone was laughing at me like they are at her, I'd be laughing right along with them...That's what I do...Stumble and laugh (and blush)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:09 am

There's no law against photographing someone without their permission, and unless it's in their own home, is there a law against videotaping them without their permission? And with Youtube getting millions of hits off all kinds of stuff, I never heard about it being illegal to upload a video of someone without their permission, as much as I usually hate these facts, I'm a firm believer in right to privacy, but this was a public mall, you have no expectation of privacy and if there's any footage of you in the place, that is not private property either, whoever has it can pretty much do with it what they want, can't they?
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 am

The fountain should sue the woman for assaulting it.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:23 am

Fountain-Falling Texter Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation Judgejudy-002

I'd love to see her go to Judge Judy with this case
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 am

Maybe she's suing to pay her lawyer.

Fountain-Falling Texter in Court for Alleged Theft
    Woman Considers Suing After Mall Fall Becomes a Viral Video Sensation

By JUJU CHANG, LEEZEL TANGLAO and BRIAN BRAIKER
    Jan. 20, 2011

The problems continue to pile up for the Pennsylvania woman who became the unwitting star of a viral video after she fell into a mall fountain while text messaging.

In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's appearance on "Good Morning America" today to talk about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for allegedly using a coworker's credit cards to make more than $5,000 in purchases at a Target and a Zales jewelry store -- $1,055 of those purchases were dismissed from the case in previous hearings.

She is expected to face sentencing at her next court date, on April 21, according to the Reading Eagle. Marrero is likely facing about six months of house arrest and electronic monitoring.

Her probation ended in October.

Video of Marrero's tumble earlier this month has attracted more than a million and a half views on YouTube and been shared widely on Facebook and Twitter.

She hinted on "Good Morning America" that she may sue the mall where she fell. She has hired a lawyer to explore whether someone should have come to her aid rather than posting her image on the Internet.

"I didn't get an apology, what I got was, 'At least nobody knows it was you,' " Marrero said. "But I knew it was me."

Marrero didn't realize what happened until she was already in the water.

"Unfortunately, I didn't have anything to grab onto and hold my balance," she said.

Her lawyer, James Polyak, said they intend to hold the responsible parties accountable; whether requesting or demanding an apology and requesting an explanation on why this happened and how it happened.

Polyak plans to search for the identities of those responsible for making the video public.

Polyak suspects an official within the mall's security office viewed the footage and allowed it to be videotaped onto a cell phone.

Marrero was replying to a text from a friend from her church.

Court documents indicate that Marrero has had her own legal troubles.

She has been out on $7,500 bail since her 2009 charges for alleged theft, records show.

According to court records, Ileana Rivera of Reading, Pa., who worked at the Zales jewelry store in the Fairgrounds Square Mall with Marrero, reported that Marrero had used her credit cards without permission.

Marrero allegedly made $4,177 in purchases at Zales and $1,055 in purchases at a Target around the time of August 2007, records show.

Rivera admitted she at one time had permitted Marrero to use her Target credit card to make a small purchase but did not give her permission to make other purchases.

In August 2007, Rivera noticed she hadn't received her credit card bills and discovered that her address on the accounts was allegedly changed to that of Marrero's.

According to public court documents, Marrero has convictions for retail theft four times and one other theft in New York from 1997 to 1999 and retail theft in York County in 1999.

She also received 12 months of probation after being convicted of a hit-and-run charge in Berks County in 2009.

As for Marrero's more recent problems, a security-camera video, which shows her texting while walking, has made her a viral video star. Clearly not paying attention, she trips and plunges head first into the mall fountain.

She then casually gets up, fishes out her cell phone, climbs out, looks around and walks away.

Marrero said she embarrassed after the incident.

"I was like, 'I'm hoping nobody saw me. So let me just walk away,'" she said.

A woman checked on Marrero after the fall but no one from mall security followed up, she said.

She said they arrived 20 minutes after she left.

Fountain Fall Goes Viral

Marrero, who works at a store in the Berkshire mall in Wyomissing, admitted that she laughed, too, at first. But after being laughed at by millions, she said, no one has taken her feelings into consideration.

She learned that her fall went viral from her nephew, who called to tell her it was on YouTube.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fountain-falling-texter-cathy-cruz-marrero-dont-text/story?id=12685189
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am

What a loser!!

And, if she gets a jury trial she will likely lose (Assuming none of the jury hurts themselves ROTFL and sues her after watching the video in court).

About a hundred ppl and I wasted our time on a jury pool in a civil case where some loser with all sorts of medical problems was suing two tobacco companies. I finally got cut from this case after a week of jury selection - but three weeks later the verdict was what I would have voted - NO CASE. You can't sue someone else for your own stupidity. This from ppl like me who did smoke at one time but heeded the facts and quit before we ended up like the plaintiff. Also, we didn't buy that "addict" stuff - I and several others quit smoking with no withdrawal, it's a psychological addiction.

So, it would be interesting to see if this woman and her lawyer think they will get any sympathy from a jury. Trouble is, citizens will have their time wasted hanging at the courthouse for this woman's continuing stupidity.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:29 pm

The lawsuit sounds like her way of trying to thwart her shopping lifting drama. She sounds as crazy as a bat.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Come on now, Cat. It's not fair to lump bats in with her.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 pm

alan smithee wrote:Come on now, Cat. It's not fair to lump bats in with her.

Well bats do have better coordination, so you may have a point there.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:32 am

Impact wrote:The fountain should sue the woman for assaulting it.

It really should! Poor fountain was just minding it's own business, doing it's job, and this woman has the nerve to interrupt that and fall into it, probably knocking out some water and certainly contaminating it. Poor fountain! I'd support the fountain - lol!!!
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:28 pm

She won't win this case! What an idiot. Anything to make a quick buck.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Yeah - she seems to see this as a gold digging opportunity. I hope they make her PAY for the court cases her stupidity has generated. Why waste tax payer dollars because she's stupid enough to fall into the fountain and then try and make money off of it by looking even dumber and trying to sue.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:51 pm