CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
RedBedroom
TSJFan4Ever
TPP
CatEyes10736
MandyPerfumeGirl
RiteDiva
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
12 posters

Do You Believe In Home Remedies?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Do You Believe In Home Remedies? Empty Do You Believe In Home Remedies?

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Do you put any stock into home remedies....or are you more into science based medication for minor ailments (like colds, headaches or whatever). I'm the latter, I don't have much faith in what somebody's grandma used to give them for the flu when they were 6.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Do You Believe In Home Remedies? Empty Re: Do You Believe In Home Remedies?

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm for whatever works. If a home remedy works, I'm all for it. I don't like being a slave to drugs so whatever can get around them, I'm all for it. If they are all that works, fine. But if there's some home remedy that works, I ain't going to avoid it out of some loyalty to drugs and "science."
    RiteDiva
    RiteDiva
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by RiteDiva Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Provided it doesn't sound too far fetched, I may entertain someone's so-called headache remedy, but if I have a cold, I'm going to by Tylenol, and if I have the flu then I'm going to see my doctor so she can prescribe me something for it.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm not really for home remedies. I need the hard stuff, the stuff that works.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:53 pm

My mom used to (I think she still might have it) that thick white book of Home Remedies. When I was 12 years old, I was stung by a bee, and the book I think said to rub partially dissolved asprin on the bump to reduce swelling and it worked. I would consider some documented home remedies for minor things, but I'm not going to drink some bubbling witches brew.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 69

Post by TPP Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:17 pm

For most things, yes...However it's not about what someone's grandma did, for me...It's about my own research. I think that most drugs have the potential for harm, and the benefits don't outweigh the risk (for example, ear infections: in studies children treated with antibiotics for ear infections get relief 12 hours sooner than those who aren't, plus the ones treated with antibiotics are more likely to be back with another ear infection in 6 weeks...That's not worth it to me considering the likelihood that the second infection will be resistant to antibiotics and motrin will give them relief in the meantime anyway). Home remedies like chicken soup, orange juice, a nice steamy bath and lots of rest aren't going to hurt anyone. Herbal remedies have the potential for harm and should be well researched, but they are a valid alternative to drugs, IMO.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 am

I think that yes, in some cases, home remedies work really well - chicken soup for clearing up chest congestion, for one - my doctor actually told me to do just that when I went in with a stubborn chest cold that wasn't going away. I've used it ever since. I'll also take a hot shower or bath and that helps.

Also, baking soda and water mixed into a paste for bee stings and other bug bites.

Lemon tea and honey is another one I use.

So yes - in some cases, I believe in home remedies. I don't object to medication and I use it, but I also think of alternatives, like heat for a sore back, rather than medication, if I can use heat.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 pm

My son and I don't get sick much at all, but if we do I go the home remedy first because 9.5 times out of 10, things can be handled without a doctor's intervention.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm

If it's not some strange and completely ridiculous concoction and it doesn't make the condition any worse, then home remedies aren't futile at all. Hot totties, yeah....those really do work.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:45 pm

CatEyes10736 wrote:..., but I'm not going to drink some bubbling witches brew.
    Do You Believe In Home Remedies? 9-42

big grin
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:59 pm

I am allergic to so many things. Either pseudoephedrin or acetamenophene makes me break out in a rash so that pretty much covers most cold medicines. On the rare colds I get, I just suffer thru and use Benadryl at night to sleep.

Hot baths are great for making me feel better, whether muscle aches or cold symptoms. I use an old fashioned technique of sweating out a cold - don't take analgesics to break a fever - it is there for a reason, work with it. (Be careful with kids, their fevers can be dangerous - and if mine stays above 104 for a while I will bring it down - there are limits)

While in India with dysentery I was treated homeopathically with little pills of wormwood, which is a purgative. But it worked.

So in the West we have been indoctrinated into one type of medicine (alopathy) with the exclusion of homeopathy, naturopathy and herbalism, which has its successes.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 pm

I remember as a child when I had a cold my grandma would first soak my feet in warm water, then she would rub vicks on my chest and apply a warm rag to that. She would do this mostly at night and the cold would go away in a couple of days.

Last year, every night from October until April, I drank hot tea with lemon and honey, I was not sick once.

Last edited by Tony Marino on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Shale wrote:I am allergic to so many things. Either pseudoephedrin or acetamenophene makes me break out in a rash so that pretty much covers most cold medicines. On the rare colds I get, I just suffer thru and use Benadryl at night to sleep.

Hot baths are great for making me feel better, whether muscle aches or cold symptoms. I use an old fashioned technique of sweating out a cold - don't take analgesics to break a fever - it is there for a reason, work with it. (Be careful with kids, their fevers can be dangerous - and if mine stays above 104 for a while I will bring it down - there are limits)

While in India with dysentery I was treated homeopathically with little pills of wormwood, which is a purgative. But it worked.

So in the West we have been indoctrinated into one type of medicine (alopathy) with the exclusion of homeopathy, naturopathy and herbalism, which has its successes.

The same thing happens to me with NSAIDS.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 am

have a bad cold right now and what's working best is hot water with lemon juice, cayenne pepper and honey. Tried a few other over the counter medications but none are really helping. The hot water combination seems to be m best bet right now, though I'll be taking a hot, steamy shower and soaking in the tub soon.
    TPP
    TPP
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by TPP Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 am

TSJFan4Ever wrote:have a bad cold right now and what's working best is hot water with lemon juice, cayenne pepper and honey. Tried a few other over the counter medications but none are really helping. The hot water combination seems to be m best bet right now, though I'll be taking a hot, steamy shower and soaking in the tub soon.

Have you tried a neti pot? My husband and I swear by them! I'm out of the habit now but during allergy season I'm constantly using one and when I have a cold it sometimes helps.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 am

No - I haven't. I'll have to look into it, though the nasal congestion isn't bothering me that much. Thanks for the tip.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:08 pm

My mom used to have a book of home remedies, but I don't remember her ever using any.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Chris wrote:My mom used to have a book of home remedies, but I don't remember her ever using any.

My grandmother had one too. I think I only tried the hot tottie one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 12:39 am