CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+8
CatEyes10736
DarkOblivion
TSJFan4Ever
Marc™
Nystyle709
femme fatale
Alan Smithee
Chris
12 posters

Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.) Empty Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.)

Post by Chris Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 am

Do you put much stock into jobs sites, like Monster and Career Builder? Have you ever posted a resume on one, and if you have did it yield any actual employment opportunities for you?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.) Empty Re: Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.)

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:23 am

Not my current job, but I did get a job via Monster.com (I think) a few years ago. Nothing from my most recent unemployment except tons of spam. I'm glad I used a separate, little used email account for that. I would strongly urge anyone who wanted to sign up with one of those places to set up a separate account. And don't buy any of the service upgrades they offer "to get your resume seen by more employers". Bullshit.
    femme fatale
    femme fatale
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 46

Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.) Empty Re: Job sites (Monster, Career Builder, Yahoo Jobs, etc., etc.)

Post by femme fatale Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 am

I put my resume on both and wound up getting called in by so called "marketing" companies that basically wanted me to go from business to business soliciting people to buy random doodads. Also got called from I think AT&T to do "field sales" (basically the same thing). Another place called me to do a job that even though was inside was 100% commission which I DON'T do! Plus I get a TON of junkmail from BS job sites that I know I never signed up for. Nothing good has really come from my resume posting.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:12 pm

femme fatale wrote:I put my resume on both and wound up getting called in by so called "marketing" companies that basically wanted me to go from business to business soliciting people to buy random doodads. Also got called from I think AT&T to do "field sales" (basically the same thing). Another place called me to do a job that even though was inside was 100% commission which I DON'T do! Plus I get a TON of junkmail from BS job sites that I know I never signed up for. Nothing good has really come from my resume posting.

Eh, for the most part. However, I did get two cool jobs from the Monster site that weren't futile at all. One was a bank teller job and the other was a customer service position at Public Storage. Both gigs paid well. They are also really great for retail positions if that's what you're looking for. I don't think it's a waste of time posting a resume on either one. Shit, it can't hurt. The only thing is you have to weed through the prospective gigs a bit more. Once in a while, you'll find a gem.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:02 pm

femme fatale wrote:I put my resume on both and wound up getting called in by so called "marketing" companies that basically wanted me to go from business to business soliciting people to buy random doodads. Also got called from I think AT&T to do "field sales" (basically the same thing). Another place called me to do a job that even though was inside was 100% commission which I DON'T do! Plus I get a TON of junkmail from BS job sites that I know I never signed up for. Nothing good has really come from my resume posting.

Hell yeah....I'm convinced that they sell peoples email info. I posted my resume to both Career Builder and Monster about 5 years ago, and that email address stays flooded with BS "job offers" that're really just spam (the way I see it, if they were serious....they'll call, not email....) Like Ny said, I don't think it's totally wasteful, you might hear back for something real....but I don't put much stock in it either.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

I don't use them - not sure how much stock I put in them, either. I don't like all if my information being that public to anyone who wants to see it. I prefer to know which businesses/organizations are seeing my information.
    DarkOblivion
    DarkOblivion
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

Post by DarkOblivion Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:21 am

I have never had luck with career builder or monster. Instead I find the companies on there and go directly to their web site to look for jobs. I've had more success doing that. I think employers take direct site applicants more seriously than the ones that just click "apply" on job post boards.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:09 am

I've gotten interviews off Careerbuilder. No jobs, though.

I have a problem with these internet job search sites. Remember, that any position advertised on Careerbuilder, Monster or Jobdango is now accessible to ANYONE with internet service whether they're in your hometown, Denver, London or Bangalore. That means anyone who might want to live in your area is also probably applying.

I live in Oregon, a high in-bound migration state. I'm sure that when jobs are posted, people from all over are vying for them. This raises the bar. Unless you are perfect and supremely qualified, chances are you're not going to get a call. The volume of responses these companies receive is astronomical. And if you're looking at a position from a desirable company like Nike, Google or Intel, kiss it off.

Best thing to do is to make contacts. Use your friends, business contacts, relatives when you're searching. Join business groups, attend meetings, luncheons symposiums where like-minded people are meeting to get your name and resume out there. But as for the internet companies--PUKE.

Unless you've got some sort of uber-technical skill like network programming, UNIX or something like that. For the rest of us, it's a waste.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 am

I wasn't hired from a job board and don't have a resume posted on any, but at my workplace there are quite a few people who were hired in as contractors after having been recruited from one of the job sites. I think Yahoo. From what I understand, contractors will go to job sites and pull applicants from resumes and then "pimp" them to the job.

Honestly I'm glad to be employed right now because with everything online, trying to find a job with hundreds of thousands other online applicants vying for the same position is a chilling thought. I was hired by way of recommendation, back when paper apps were still the standard.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:17 am

Its basically like playing the lottery. I post my resume and leave it. Sometimes i get call backs and sometimes i wont, i know some people who actually look up job recommendations and spend all day applying hoping they will have luck and never do. I'm not doing all that. Let the job recruiters sift thru all that crap.
    creesetrio
    creesetrio
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by creesetrio Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:26 am

These Job portal websites has really maintained its standards and good since long time. These websites finds everyday fresh jobs and find your application status. Yes i posted resume on job portal websites and i got call from brand organization.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:51 pm

I never have but I have wondered about it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:34 am